I tried posting in Nursery but probably better luck here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprung22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Will This Work(pics included)

My father is building these bed's with the hopes of putting this particular tree in it http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/WillowHybrid.htm My question is this.What is the root structure like with this type of tree?The beds measure 6'x13',and are built using dry stack block construction(very strong) He is wanting to put 2 of these trees in each bed.With that type of room is there any chance the root structures of these particular trees could possibly blow out the sides of the wall?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I removed two Aussie willows I think they are the same tree your looking at. The trees were 10-15 years old and were planted about 5-6 foot apart, they were around 45 feet tall. When I ground the stumps the area was around 7' by 4' and the trees were a couple feet apart. They get big fast! The stumps didn't seem to have much for runners. They are easy to remove, I was able to hinge them around other trees pretty easy. They are what they are, temporary till your evergreens or hard woods can give a block.

have you considered using biobarrier or a plastic root barrier to help prevent damage?

Dry stacking 8" cement block can be very strong IF you stack on a solid foundation AND you place weight evenly on top. I believe you get snow and freezing temps in winter in Ohio, just assuming that is site of this project? Ground freezes and expands, and even with no trees in there, the blocks will not stay through several freeze cycles, say nothing about pressure from tree roots. Looks like your dad has done some excellent work thus far and is probably not going to turn back now so after a few years when the walls start to lean out, try and forgive him as he makes you help rebuild them : )

Latest posts

Back