I was inspired by you guys...thanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
And you'll NEVER have to find a replacement handle.:clap:

:

beleive it or not my brother in law broke the handle on one of those when he was about 14. i never really have liked them, handle seems a little short and when you miss with one..... you feel it. but they do work good on stubborn stuff. i love me 8 lb maul, dont have a log splitter and theres nothing like cracking open a beer and looking at the huge pile of wood you split by hand...kinda a feeling of self accomplishment.

beleive it or not my brother in law broke the handle on one of those when he was about 14. i never really have liked them, handle seems a little short and when you miss with one..... you feel it. but they do work good on stubborn stuff. i love me 8 lb maul, dont have a log splitter and theres nothing like cracking open a beer and looking at the huge pile of wood you split by hand...kinda a feeling of self accomplishment.

I see no reason why you'd make something like that up, so I'll believe you.:)

+1 on the just-split-up-a-pile-of-wood beer. That's when they taste the best. Either then or after the saw gets put away after having my way with a pile of logs. :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Thombat4, Nice work.

Please could you explain to me how the entire rig in the picture works? I recently built something for cutting smaller poles but am always interested in improving the design. Is your rig for bucking pieces?

Thanks

Thombat4, Nice work.

Please could you explain to me how the entire rig in the picture works? I recently built something for cutting smaller poles but am always interested in improving the design. Is your rig for bucking pieces?

Thanks

Actually what I have there is a wood rack that I built that's currently not being used to store wood. I'm using one end of the rack to hold the longer pieces of wood that need to be cut down to the proper length for my insert. Some of the guys here have built special devices for just this sort of thing. I was about to build something similar to what I saw on an earlier thread but as I was looking at this empty rack I was inspired to figure out a way to utilize it in some fashion until then. So this is what I came up with. I had a couple of threaded eyebolts that I screwed into either side of the rack to give me something to anchor the tiedown to, and then it's just a simple matter of stacking the wood between the uprights, tying them down securely and then I'm ready to cut. As far as bucking goes, I haven't used it for that but now that you mention it you've given me something to think about! Glad you liked it and I hope this helps.

I see no reason why you'd make something like that up, so I'll believe you.:)

+1 on the just-split-up-a-pile-of-wood beer. That's when they taste the best. Either then or after the saw gets put away after having my way with a pile of logs. :clap: :clap:

yes... my rule is the beer comes out only after the saws get put up. actually have been doing a little splitting every night after work when i get home. have some monster chunks of elm in the yard... just start going around the edges till its all gone.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Found this on the net. Don't have one myself. Those that do swear by them. Many of the ones I've seen are home made.

attachment.php

Ahhhhhhh ! "Darth Maul"

Now theres a Brute Force Instrument if I ever seen one.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhh ! "Darth Maul"

Now theres a Brute Force Instrument if I ever seen one.

i hate those things handels to short ,,hard on your body

i like a 6# maul ,if it will lay sideway's with the head close to your palm its ballanced well,,,,,,,,,wont twist your wrist as much as one that the point just drops...... i also like a thinner taper on the wedge .. the 80's and 90's had some good maul's with hickory or fiberglass handels, some of the newer maul's dont feel the same and the wedge is a chunk of iron with angeled side's

I got my Monster Maul equivalent (unfortunately Stotz that invented them is out of business) from Northern, and while I haven't broken the handle, I have slightly bent it - the head is now only about 80* from the handle instead of 90... Still works though.

Bad thing is that my elbow is not working so great anymore, If I spend a couple hours splitting, it hurts when I move for the next couple days....

Dr. told me that I needed to get a power splitter and give up hand splitting... I wonder, does this mean I can claim the splitter as a medical deduction on my taxes? :jawdrop:

I'm definitely looking for a splitter though, and so far it does look like the best prices are on E-bay for what looks like the models that Harbor Freight is selling...

I'm currently thinking Gas, ~20 - 30 Ton, vertical operation, Horizontal capable (not that I'd expect I'd ever use it that way)

Suggestions appreciated, but I'll probably find a more specifically splitter oriented thread to ask in.

Gooserider

Most of my splitting is all by hand. I started using the Fiskars last spring and really like it. I also use an 8lb maul with poly handle.

Latest posts

Back