Ice storm vs pecan tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexDon

Reaction score
image.jpg We had an ice storm here in OKC and I lost about 50% of my pecan tree - see picture. I'm just wondering (hoping!) if my tree will live and if there's anything I can do to help it along. Thank you!!

It won'r die from that limb being lost , and will prob. do fine until disease or insects invade the wound. I have sen them sealed with latex paint and help some.

Sorry to see, 50% is too much to lose and the tree will more than likely decline. Removal is always the best recommendation and easier than trying to nurse it back to health.

I would just remove the limb and see how she does.
It actually looks like that limb should have been pruned proper a long time ago.
If they tree doesn't do so good you can always remove it later.
Pecan will make some fine smoking wood I think.
Maybe split some small and bag it and advertise it for sale as smoking wood. The rest would be decent firewood.

When one close ups to the break hinge, it looks like quite some rot beginning. So without better pictures no one can recomend anything. Personally I am a friend of giving the tree a chance an see how it goes. If there is rot I would NOT use latex or whatsoever. It will only make the decay faster.

May heal up just fine.
The rot may have just been from the stress crack and from debre and moisture falling and decomposing. The SAP wood is nice and white. Should be able to clean it and treat it I would think.
animals and insects are the other concerns to think about.
I wouldn't know what to protect it with?

Yes make a clean cut and over time reduce the sprawl of the remaining tree. Removal is not a good idea; this is a young tree that should respond well.

As 7sleeper said, do not try any of the snake oil treatments on the wound. It has been shown that the best you can expect from any of them is that the particular treatment is no worse than leaving well enough alone. Some so called treatments are not that benign and will cause real problems.

As 7sleeper said, do not try any of the snake oil treatments on the wound. It has been shown that the best you can expect from any of them is that the particular treatment is no worse than leaving well enough alone. Some so called treatments are not that benign and will cause real problems.

In practice I only disagree slightly.

I will argue though by asking what is the chemical reaction the structural, supposedly non living, wood is going to have to make it more weather proof than untreated 2x4's in my deck? This break is a Presidential term or two away from being encapsulated.

Now the snake oil may do more harm than good especially if the wood is damp still. Still I stand by the need to debate this one further. Shigo died 9 years ago.

In practice I only disagree slightly.

I will argue though by asking what is the chemical reaction the structural, supposedly non living, wood is going to have to make it more weather proof than untreated 2x4's in my deck? This break is a Presidential term or two away from being encapsulated.

Now the snake oil may do more harm than good especially if the wood is damp still. Still I stand by the need to debate this one further. Shigo died 9 years ago.

How many barrier walls did Shigo identify? I believe your presidential term remark referred to wound wood/ callus wood/ wall 4. Other reactions (wall 1) are thought to start as early as hours after the tree is wounded. Also, there are no parenchyma cells in those 2x4's that I know of.

I don't work with the species and don't know if it is a good compartmentalizer, but from what I know about trees I wouldn't remove it. If it compartmentalizes decay like a southern live oak it will be fine. Don't think removal is necessary.

Latest posts

Back