Idea a stump machine that sweeps or sucks to dispose of the grindings as it works

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
explored some ideas this week now movin away from a vacum attachment to a medium truck mounted crane lifter with interchangable head fitted with a scoop for lifting grinding waste and option hooks for other material handling needs we get weekly.

The whole grinder/vacuum in one is an awesome idea. If you had it all self-contained, you would have to run 2 drive systems off of the motor at the same time, one for the grinder and one for the vac- which would eat up alot of hp...But you could have a selector/ hydraulic or belt driven, that would turn off the grinding wheel and actuate the vacuum. It wouldn't be as fast, but a helluva lot faster and more efficient than 2 different machines/ or diggin it by hand. Build it and I'll buy one.

This is a leaf vacuum, it will do the job just fine. They can be mounted on the back of a truck.

1995 ODB SCL800TM14 Self-Contained Vacuum Leaf Loader, Ford 4-Cyl Diesel, Only 585 Hours, 14 Yard Hopper (Dump Hoist), 32" Diameter Suction Fan, 16" Diameter Suction Hose (100" long, Hydraulic Arm), 13" Clutch Assembly, Tendem Axle, Electric Brakes, Pintle Hitch, Safety Arrow Bar, Very Clean Ex-Municipal Unit
Located in Sacramento CA.
Stock# 11836
$17,000
View attachment 272250

All the type of material handling equipment already exists in some form or another.

For separating the chips from the dirt, a trammel type device would be effective. It is basically a long tube that is perforated and augers the chips up and all the while the dirt is falling out the perforations. Eventually the chips come out the top of the "tube" and fall into a trailer/truck. This type of equipment is used in small placer gold mining operations.

Industrial vacuums have already been discussed.

There are layout pads available to put on lawns to mitigate skidsteer damage. They are expensive and a lot of work to put out and pick up but do work.

I like the fact that thought is going into a better way to do stump grinding, but in a competitive business like this, sometimes manual labor is the most effective and least expensive means to accomplish a task. The costs and logistics to provide types of equipment to "simplify" this would far exceed the benefit in my opinion.

The makers of the AirKnife air excavation tool (similar to, but not as heavily marketed as the Air Spade...) also make an Air Vacuum (like the venturrii principled things beastmaster mentioned).

If you have a compressor to run the air excavation tool, it will also run this. I haven't used one of these, but I have thought about it for helping with the AirKnife work...but they aren't cheap.

Last edited:
I have a parker truck mount leaf vac that i use during fall cleanups. It has a 16 hp brigs on it and a 10" hose. i will just about suck your clothes off. I picked my up new at a auction for $800. I think they retail for $3000. This would work great for sucking up grindings. I might give it a try myself. Here is a video I found of one working. I welded a receiver to mine so i could just mount it to the back of my dump trailer.

[video=youtube_share;Ek1TvPO3dv8]http://youtu.be/Ek1TvPO3dv8[/video]

That pretty cool. Looks like it will do the trick but is pretty light weight. I don't think it would hold up over time still for $800, what a deal.

That pretty cool. Looks like it will do the trick but is pretty light weight. I don't think it would hold up over time still for $800, what a deal.

I know a couple guys that use them alot and have had them 10+ years. It is built the same as the big one your trying to sell. Most of the landscapers around here that catch the grass they mow have them permintly mounted to there trucks and trailers.

This is what I'm talking about a typical big pile that needs to moved aside you grind then picked up and dumped away.

As your grinding stump its lifted into a hopper away sifting the sand n dirt n wood mash apart is that to much to dream

attachment.php

Here's one of the coolest things I'v ever bought. It shreds wood chips into mulch and then blows them out onto your landscape. It can also vacuum up chip, leafs and other light organic debris, shred it and blow it into a truck.

Used Chippers in California: 2001 Shred-Vac Chip Shredder and Spreader in California $15,000

View attachment 279868

hmm if yer can shrink it down to 5th that size maybe in the frame... a nice find u should find application in large roadside mulch landscapes and direct seeding for stabilszation of embankments, sell its service to your local city and road corp

That is precisely what it is designed to do. The question now is how well does it do it? I haven't tested it yet.

Latest posts

Back