Ideas on how to modify gas cap to prevent gas theft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody know a simple way to modify existng gas caps on my trucks to prevent gas theft? I would be easy to fabricate on the cap, but I obviously can't weld on the tank for fear of fire. I can't locate keyed or locking gas caps for my trucks.

Any help would be much apprecitated.

Steven

Remington, Glock, Smith and Wesson, Browning, Tarus, H&K, yada yada.:D

Check nothern tool. I bet they have something to help you out.

Go to vehicle type dealer, find service counter, ask for locking gas cap, order and install. :) Keep extra key in a safe place.

locking gas caps

check with a heavy-duty truck dealer or parts house in your area, car-parts suppliers can't help you. On the other hand you can try chain-link fence and barbed wire, or just fire all your guys and start over.

The truck is a GMC 7000.

I've been to the local parts stores. Nothing.

Seems like someone would have come up with a simple way to modify and attach padlock.

I had this same problem. The only thing I came up with, without welding a bar across the cap for a lock, was a pipe wrench. I removed the rubber o-ring from inside the cap, and after filling up, snugged the cap (screw-on) with the pipe wrench, and locked the wrench up behind the seat beside the step-tank. It stopped the problem for me, as I think the gas theft thing is an oppritunity theft, they can't make much noise and bee seen, and can't loosen the cap by hand after the snuggung.
A friend of mine did this: removed the cap, weld a bar up on one side, weld a pin on it to a long piece of bar stock, and another bar on the other side of the cap to lock it all together. Bar must be long enough to prevent turning when locked. (kinda like a steering wheel club)
Trying to help, with fuel prices high and rising, it'll only get worse, IMO.
-Ralph

Ralph-that pipe wrench fix is a good idea you have. I have seen gas tanks that had a chain link welded on them and the same deal on the cap for a padlock. Never thought about it till now, but how did they weld that, with fuel in the tank? I had those plastic locking caps on my pickup, my mechanic showed me you can squeeze it to open them, if you have strong hands.

yes, they do steal gas in Nebraska! Living on the reservation, there is alot of gas being stolen! I have to park all the vehicles in the shop and use 1/2" chain on the handles to keep them from trying to cut the locks on the doors! Gas just hit $2.03 yesterday here. :angry:

2.199 in Wisconsin this morning. As far as a locking gas cap? Why not some sort of clamp design, similar to a hose clamp. Pehaps add a lock to it or make it only accessible through use of a wrench.

Or a chuck of rubber hose and a hose clamp. Wouldn't cost you $7 total i bet. Not friendly to get on and off all the time but isn't that the point?

b000606z.jpg

Here, they bypass locking fuel caps etc by simply cutting a slit into the fuel tank with a hacksaw and draining the tank into a bucket or whatever. It saves them having to go out and steal a piece of tube to do the syphoning The cost of repairing the damage far outweighs the cost of the stolen fuel, even here. :angry:

Do you have any way to drain the tank completely? I believe when gas tanks need welding they fill them with water. Drain your tank. Fill with water.Weld a locking device on. Drain water. Fill with fuel and a bottle of dry gas.

Oh yeah, Please don't try welding an empty tank. Its the fumes that are flammable.

Back