Identical felling wedges?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Madsen's sold Piller Plastics wedges in their brand name and also Double Taper wedges made by Piller. I don't know if that is still the case but I'm guessing the plastic wedge market is a pretty small market. Likely most wedges if not all come from China.

I picked up the Stihl in a pinch when I had to help a buddy and Rural king was on the way and had them. The other option was some cheaper ones that seemed very brittle. When I got home I ordered the K&H wedges based on their popularity on the forum. When they arrived I was surprised how identical they were. I now have (2) Stihl 5", (2) K&H 8", and one each of 10". Will probably last me years lol. I wish I could quit my job and cut trees for a living it's so much fun. I will check out the redneck redemption wedges.

Check the photo of the wedges WITHOUT the sticker.
The small (3/8"??) round shiny (not textured) spots are ejector pin marks.

The ejector pins push the molded part out of the mold.
If the two parts were molded in the same die, with only the name changed, the ejector pin marks would be in identical locations.

The finished strength can be due to a multitude of things,,
type plastic, % of regrind allowed, location that the plastic is injected into the die,, etc.

I picked up the Stihl in a pinch when I had to help a buddy and Rural king was on the way and had them. The other option was some cheaper ones that seemed very brittle. When I got home I ordered the K&H wedges based on their popularity on the forum. When they arrived I was surprised how identical they were. I now have (2) Stihl 5", (2) K&H 8", and one each of 10". Will probably last me years lol. I wish I could quit my job and cut trees for a living it's so much fun. I will check out the redneck redemption wedges.
so start a logging company with nothing more then a derelict tractor and a basket case saw, build it up for 6 years or so, then get "fired" for not working well with others(i.e. being the scape goat for the companies failures in general)... Way better then just up and quitting.

Seriously though, you will never get rich working for someone else.

They may be close dimensionally, but they are not identical. Until the last few years, I have always used Stihl. But with the good reputation of the K&H and trying to save a nickel, I started buying K&T as a throw in when ordering chokers, chains and stuff as they are cheaper than my source of Stihl wedges. I can't say either is better than the other as I have snapped a few of both, but I like the K&H as they are easier to spot on the ground and on one else around me uses them so there is no question at the end of the day who owns them. That said I don't like the K & T double taper as mine don't hold up to hard pounding when inserting in a tight cut as they tend to curl like a banana.

I wish I could say 6 wedges would last me years, but I am too rough on them. In short order they are beaten to death, snapped or eaten by a chain. I do recycle my wedges for other purposes when they die - they are really handy for leveling stuff or angling material at the drill press.

Ron

It probably wasn’t even worth me making a thread asking about wedge comparison but I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I was just shocked when I opened the package is all. The stihl cost $3 more but are local. I can’t wait to get out in the woods and beat the crap out of these things on some bigger trees. Still working my way up from smaller trees.

They may be close dimensionally, but they are not identical. Until the last few years, I have always used Stihl. But with the good reputation of the K&H and trying to save a nickel, I started buying K&T as a throw in when ordering chokers, chains and stuff as they are cheaper than my source of Stihl wedges. I can't say either is better than the other as I have snapped a few of both, but I like the K&H as they are easier to spot on the ground and on one else around me uses them so there is no question at the end of the day who owns them. That said I don't like the K & T double taper as mine don't hold up to hard pounding when inserting in a tight cut as they tend to curl like a banana.

I wish I could say 6 wedges would last me years, but I am too rough on them. In short order they are beaten to death, snapped or eaten by a chain. I do recycle my wedges for other purposes when they die - they are really handy for leveling stuff or angling material at the drill press.

Ron
ded wedges are great for holding large round things in place... like 500gal fuel tanks, or culvert pipe on a flat bed trailer...

Pretty handing for picking locks on cars too... (relax I used to spend a great deal of time in sleazy dive bars and folks would regularly forget keys in cars, a fell wedge and a coat hanger is cheaper then a lock smith at 2am)

Latest posts

Back