identifying wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burlhunter

Reaction score
I collect wood for turners, carvers, and to mill for craft and furniture use. Many times I use downed or standing dead trees no bark limbs leaves buds and often heavy spalting that has altered the appearance I always try to identify what wood I am using and especially supplying but too many times its just a guess is there any book, literature or web site that can help in the definitive identification of the wood only. Also I try to use the freek and unique and I have come across a tree I first suspected to be in the sumac family but now am not sure A local logger believes this wood is used for making wood shoes it is yellow streaked but that may be due to some fungus. smooth bark until mature large buds mostly strait not terribly tall. soft and light wood similar to basswood, grows here in INdiana on hill sides and lowlands. Thank you for your help

Bruce Haodly has a book called "Identifying Wood", that breaks down species by ring structure, color etc, many other ways, and its a GREAT book for identifying a chunk of wood from scratch. All you need is a hand lens and some time, and you have yet another way to spend countless hours. My copy is dogeared and well used. It's full of microphotograghs of end grain. Has most of the common species in US, as well as some tropical hardwoods and common imported species. Another book he put together, "Understanding Wood" is also excellent.

Cannot find the address right now, but you can send 4 samples a year to the US forest product lab for identification of ANY wood. You should be able to find their address on the web.

I'm no wood indentifying expert, but you can tell alot from the branch structure and shape of a standing dead tree, Ash has lots of opposites. Also bark can be semi useful. Open or closed grain in the wood is a good place to start as well, Oak vs Maple. White Oak is more rot resistant than Red Oak so it holds more dead branches.
There are a lot of different species though so getting a book is a good plan too.
Good luck,
Ian

Ray, that book could be more perfect, but not by much.  I got my copy early last summer, and if I can only have one book with me, it's the one I take along.  I just wish the dang'd thing weren't made in China...

Glen

IndyIan said:
I'm no wood indentifying expert, but you can tell alot from the branch structure and shape of a standing dead tree, Ash has lots of opposites. Also bark can be semi useful. Open or closed grain in the wood is a good place to start as well, Oak vs Maple. White Oak is more rot resistant than Red Oak so it holds more dead branches.
There are a lot of different species though so getting a book is a good plan too.
Good luck,
Ian
Quick and dirty little trick I learned... you can immediately pick out a maple or ash, as their branches are opposite, most trees and shrubs have alternate branches. MAD CAP HORSE... which stands for Maple, Ash, Dogwood, CAPrifoliaceae, HORSEchestut. Those trees have opposite venation (branches/twigs/leaves). When looking at a large tree in woods in winter, no leaves, quick and dirty, if its opposite twigs, its usually a Maple or Ash, and you can differentiate between those two easily by bark, end bud or just general tree shape.

Thank you I have the 101 trees of indiana and a new cd and a number of books on the subject however none help with the species and the condition I find them in. Decaying splated or otherwise infected Down trees with no bark and a portion of the sapwood often gone so problem is I use many of the less known and often non comercial such as Hawthorn, Ironwood, yellow and black gum, sumac, paw paw, magnolia, winged elm, tree of heaven, willow, blue beach, and so on freeks and uniques these are the ones I know in their living form but they all change with theyve been lying around for a bit. Thank you for your imput and I will order the book that identifys by the rings Thanks again Burlhunter

Latest posts

Back