If the 038 M Stihlk better than the Stihl MS 362?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihldriver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If the 038 M Stihlk better than the Stihl 362? I find that the M 038 is better in your hand. Since Stihl indeed must pay attention to the exhaust emissions in Europe and the usa has 038 against the 362 because no Changse.
the weight is almost the same feeling from the saws and other 362 of the 038 M at nothing

Ist die 038 M Stihl besser als die Stihl 362? Ich finde, dass der M 038 besser in der Hand liegt. Da Stihl in der Tat muss die Aufmerksamkeit auf die Abgas-Emissionen in Europa richten und den USA hat 038 M gegen die 362 kein Changse.
das Gewicht ist fast das gleiche vom Gefühl. Beim Sägen macht die 362 der 038 M nichts vor.

Last edited:
I like the 362 better myself. I can fell a difference in weight between the two and the 038M does'nt have much on it power-wise.

Where are you from? Is that German?

The 038 mag is 72cc and the 362 is 59cc's. While the 362 is newer, lighter, with better AV. The 038 mag is going to have much more torque and is rated at 4.9 hp. The 038 will weigh about 2&1/2 pounds more than the 362. With the 038 mag you could run up to a 32" bar and it will run a 28" with ease. With the 362 I think 25" is about the maximum length.

Ok

because the 380 is identical to the 038 M I compare them.

Stihl MS 380 Technical Data

capacity 72,2 cc
weight 6,6 kg
power output 4,75 PS (in the catalog with 5.3 hp strange?)
bar 50 cm
chain Rapid super

Stihl MS 362 Technical Data

capacity 59,0 cc
weight 5,2 kg
power output 4,6 PS
bar 50 cm
chain Rapid super

I testet the 038 M (MS 380) and MS 362.

+ points for the 038 (MS 380)

Better handling, better power, and costs less.

some of my thoughts from an earlier thread on this very topic

"The 38 Mag wears ripped up flannel shirts and spits Copenhagen on the floor in it's favorite bar, it eats bacon and eggs for breakfast, a bacon sandwich for lunch, and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin for dinner

The 362 loves a nice microfleece mock-turtleneck, it's favorite bar has a lot of art on the wall and a trendy DJ, it eats a veggie/egg white omelette for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch, and filet mignon with an arugala salad for dinner"

Ich habe beide Motorsägen getestet und mir gefällt die 380 besser. Der PS Leistungsunterschied ist ja nur 0,15 PS.
Die MS 362 ist fast genau so schwer und liegt schlechter in der Hand. Das AV System mit den Federn bringt bei der Arbeit auch nicht viel mehr als das der 380. Beide Motorsägen mit 50 cm Führungsschiene bringen die gleiche Arbeitsleistung. Das die 362 etwas weniger Benzin verbraucht ist für mich kein Grund mehr geld auszugeben als für eine gute 380.

Hello bigskyjake

can you translate this to you now

Last edited:
Ich habe beide Motorsägen getestet und mir gefällt die 380 besser. Der PS Leistungsunterschied ist ja nur 0,15 PS.
Die MS 362 ist fast genau so schwer und liegt schlechter in der Hand. Das AV System mit den Federn bringt bei der Arbeit auch nicht viel mehr als das der 380. Beide Motorsägen mit 50 cm Führungsschiene bringen die gleiche Arbeitsleistung. Das die 362 etwas weniger Benzin verbraucht ist für mich kein Grund mehr geld auszugeben als für eine gute 380.

Hello bigskyjake

Translation:

I tested both saws and I like the 380 better. The horsepower difference is only 0.15 hp.
The MS 362 is almost as hard and is worse in the hand. The AV system with the springs at work brings not much more than the 380th Both saws with 50 cm guide bar to bring the same work. That the 362 is slightly less gasoline consumed no reason for me to spend more money than good for 380

Hello bigskyjake

no habla

Hello bigskyjake

I tested both saws and I like the 380 better. The horsepower difference is only 0.15 hp.
The MS 362 is almost as hard and is worse in the hand. The AV system with the springs at work brings not much more than the 380th Both saws with 50 inch guide bar to bring the same work. That the 362 is slightly less gasoline consumed no reason for me to spend more money than good for 380th

seen tons of 038 Magnums (72cc) in the logging/forestry sector back in the day when they where available, Highly recommended pro saw, just as the 066/660

They do not sell the ms380 here in America due to emission regulations of our government but Stihl sells that saw all around the world, same goes for the ms720. The ms362 is readily available here in America.

Last edited:
I cut a cord of wood with my 038 mag II and couldn't tell the difference in cutting speed with my 044's until I ran them literally side by side. The 038 weighed a pound more but while cutting firewood I never could feel the difference.

The 038 is the winner in my test

RIMG0040.jpg

Last edited:
I ran my 038M for many years and it was the best saw I had ever run. Then I found this site and realized it was too heavy and didn't turn the rpm's of the new kids. Had I had the money at that time, and knowing what i do now, I would have had no reservations about buying two. That 381 looks sweet to me. Except for the flippys. Sorry, just had to say that.

Latest posts

Back