If Trees seem hard, Car Sales can change the mind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been here - my hardest summer yet. We moved to Ruch near Medford, Oregon, from Beaverton, Oregon. Part to get out of the heavy traffic / urban area, part to live near family, and part to leave business for something easier like sales.

All I could find to pay decent wages in Medford was selling Cadillacs / Buicks. Oddly, within 3 weeks, my body started to ache worse from standing around most of the day than it did from pruning. To cut the story short, I quit. We are all on good terms, but it's not my environment.

The only good day in sales was when I drove north to get my daughter's braces off - got back at 9pm and had to shovel 8 cubic yards of gravel for a camp trailer delivery the next day. That hard work made the ache go away.

Anyway, I may have found the best thing - I started business Monday after getting 3 accepted bids in 2 hours in the morning going door to door. In the afternoon, I was hired part time by a landscape company as part foreman, part customer service, part designer.

So I now am in business, but have easier part time work to take the intensity out. Anyway, what I wanted to share for certain was that if tree work ever seems hard, realize that the pains pale in comparison to other things.

Oddly, the sales tore away at my recreations due to the hours - photography, hiking, my web site and so on. Now I have hours to drive to the coast, the Redwood Forests (which I just saw for the first time yesterday) and other things. This winter, I'm going to submit to teach a community education Tree Care class at Rogue Community College in the area since I dropped the class scheduled at Portland Community College that was slated for last June. I hear they want to get a horticulture program going again - maybe I'll ask to teach a credit class in case they want to build up from one or two classes.

Well, I have not been on here for 2 months, maybe 3. We just got internet hooked up for us all (since our cell phone does not work out in Ruch, 15 miles into the hills west of Medford). So I'll be in touch with all of you again.

I had to flag traffic the other day for a couple hours. My feet and legs were killing me, id rather be working my ass off than do that again..

I've done car sales and its a tough gig. Lithia? I worked at one of their dealerships for a while. I assume in Meddford thats who you worked for

Lithia is the largest dealer assortment here, but Skinner Autoplex (Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac) is who I worked for. I had an interview offered by Lithia that was to have occured the same day I was hired, but I went to Skinner first, dreading what I heard about Lithia from consumers as well as from several of their own salesmen.

Apparently - and car sales is still car sales - Skinner has the best hours available. Off by 7, at least one 3 day weekend per month and free lunches and doughnuts on Saturdays.

About 1 week before I quit, one salesmen at Skinner spoke to some of his customers - a doctor and his wife - about me being a Certified Arborist. The woman looked shocked and asked me why I was still working there. I think her response had a lot of merit. I thought about that several times before I quit.

Why on earth was I still working there...

I've tried quitting climbing sveral times, and it allways sucked.

I think that one of the things is that we have a constant supply of endorphines, and pumping fluids through the entire body. If you remain hydrated it's hard for the metaboolic byprodocts to build up.

Even if it makes the pocket book slim I think its better to follow your passion. Good to have you back, M.D.

Back