Anyone use an F450 as a chipper truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaCat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone use an F450 C&C as a chipper truck?

I’m a very small business. Only been on my own for 3 years. I basically do everything. Being a climber and just wanting to be self employed. Started with just a pickup and now I have a chipper but need a more professional looking truck but nothing super big that I will have a hard time parking on the street by my house.

Wanted an F550 for that extra 3k payload but there aren’t a lot of options where I live(Hawaii). Most the F550s I’ve seen for sale are way too short or overpriced. Been looking for months and finally found a 2017 F450 6.7l Powerstroke regular cab with 80k miles and low hours for a reasonable price and I think it will hold it’s value well. Also I really want a 6.7.

Only other option I have found was a much larger 2002 F750 crew cab that already has a dump with a large open container. It only has a 5.9l cummins in it tho (same as my pickup lol). Feel like it would be very slow going up the mountain where I live with a full load and a 4ton chipper. Plus it would be a pain in the ass to store somewhere and too big for small jobs.

Any advice?

Do you think I could reinforce the f450 frame for slightly larger payloads? Would air bags help at all?

Also I will have to do a lot of work to the f450 for gear storage because I currently have a crew cab long bed and use the back and front seats for all my gear. So I will need to make storage and add a dump hoist

my buddy uses a 4500 dodge, Not sure about the volume or weight capacity. He did swap the top from steel to aluminum a few years back. He also had a spring pack custom build by a local spring shop. Last time it left my house full of oak chips, Towing in JD diesel chipper it still wasn’t touching the overload spring. I’ve never been in it but it’s gotta ride like sh*t empty lol.

my buddy uses a 4500 dodge, Not sure about the volume or weight capacity. He did swap the top from steel to aluminum a few years back. He also had a spring pack custom build by a local spring shop. Last time it left my house full of oak chips, Towing in JD diesel chipper it still wasn’t touching the overload spring. I’ve never been in it but it’s gotta ride like sh*t empty lol.
Lol. I have faith. I have gone WAY beyond the payload limits with my ram 2500 with a 6ft box built on top the pickup bed with and without airbags. Tons of times with airbags

Diesel 450 is plenty to work out of. I run a 350 gas V10 and it's plenty. The 6.7 is a nice strong motor and the weight capability in the 450 will do you fine. I've loaded mine with 10' pine logs up to capacity (I have a chip box on the body, up 4' above the body sides) with zero problems. My GVW is 14,200. I believe the 450 gvw is 16K. And towing won't be a problem. I ran a 6.7 for years for someone else and it tows like there's nothing behind it.

:cheers:

FWIW, the limiting factor on payload SHOULD be the rear axle, not the frame.
The frames are the weak point in the 450/550, not the axles. Can't tell you how many have been through the shop my uncle works at for frame repairs. Usually it's from gross negligence and overloading the trucks, dump trucks are worse then flat beds/service bodies. They tend to crack right behind the cab. It's fairly easy to weld and add fish plates to them, but 100% preventable.

Latest posts

Back