If you know there's a hornets nest...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys do? Climb up with a spray can or what? Late evenings only? Put on a space suite?

Just wondering!

Depends where it is. If it is in the way we will remove and spray it. If it is out of the way I leave them alone.

Just go and grab it and shake it really hard. This usually works and you might even get some time off.

(meant to be a Joke)

They make extension poles for srpay paint cans now to mark cuts from the ground, maybe this would work for hornet spray. I haven't tried it myself but look into it.

Hey all, thanks for the amusing ideas!

Climb - do you mean spray and then remove it? Don't tell me you take the thing off all angry!

^ spray it (center the nozzle in the nest hole), wait a couple of minutes, then use a heavy duty garbage bag (liek the HUSKY brand from HOME DEPOT) and enclose the nest with the bag. Tie off the bag opeing with a Zap Strap (ziptie) and drop er down.

Hornets hurt worse than you can imagine. Had a friend get stung twice on the upper lip. It was unbelievable ! His lip swole to 3 or 4 times its normal size ! I've been stung on the palm of the hand by one and I never considered it to be a hornet. It felt like a red-hot ice-pick being jabbed into my hand.
Hornet nests are really hard to spray becuse they are thick and even the bug-man can't always get the ones inside. Oh yeah , if you plan on keeping one because it looks neat, make sure that theres no baby hornets waiting to be hatched inside ! You will have a whole new problem on your hands if you happen to have a screened in porch . (They don't need any parental assistance to hatch)

assess the situation and the customer's time line. Most times I can get the customer to wait until winter. If it's a pruning, better yet.
otherwise get the customer to have it removed.
I have it in my contract that if we find a hornet's nest, the job proceeds at my discretion and the bill prorated.

...a little off-topic, but...
i had a landlord that was a supply sargent. he gave me a few cans of bug spray that was, best i can recollect, r-12 in an arousal can.
stuff was amazing.
you put on a thick glove, (this learned from experience), pulled the trigger, and a stream of this stuff a quarter of an inch around would fly about twenty feet.
froze SOLID anything in it's path. we had a good time blowing up warm beers and such with it.
should have saved some for the bugs.......
sure, the ozone layer was depleted, but so was the hornet population...
any of you "OLD GUYS" remember such a spray?

I go up at night with a green garbage bag and a twist tie. Put the bag under the nest. Choke the nest where it is attached. (They dont fly at night) twist the top of the bag put the twist tie on. Start a nice roaring fire. Shape the poop out of the bag. You will hear them humming a tune inside. When the fire is really blazing and the are really humming their tune throw the bag into the fire and watch them drop. Simple as that.

Manco said:
Oh yeah , if you plan on keeping one because it looks neat, make sure that theres no baby hornets waiting to be hatched inside ! You will have a whole new problem on your hands if you happen to have a screened in porch . (They don't need any parental assistance to hatch)

Now you tell me. I took one home last year, luckily no one was in the room for a long time and they just died.

Latest posts

Back