Illinois Arborist Exam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GottaCut

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any individuals who have taken the exam here, and what to expect on it. I've been studying my book like crazy, I dont know what else to do to prepare myself. I got a list of tree's,(94!) am I supposed to be able to memorize all the scientific names? Any insight would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks guys!

i just worte mine on saturady and it was intense...
alot comes down to common sence though, i can say that the plant id is multiple choice and there was only 10 on there.
here's a tip, know your fertilizer calculations. i had 4 related questions.
the book was a good tool but being in the industry kinda renforced alot of my answers.
hope this helps.

i just wrote mine on Saturday and it was intense...
alot came down to common sense though. i can say that the plant id is multiple choice and there was only 10 on there.
here's a tip, know your fertilizer calculations, i had 4 related questions.
the book was a good tool but being in the industry kinda reinforced alot of my answers.
hope this helps.

What do you mean by fert calculations? Are you talking about what the numbers on the front of the bag stand for? Also did you have to identify trees by their twigs and leaves? Oh and how many questions were on the test? Thanks alot for the input!!! Oh yeah also, Isnt the whole test multiple choice?

Last edited:
IL Arborist Test

Took it in April of 1997, in Bellwood. I do know that the test has changed . My partner just took it in Little Rock AR. the Domain's were not the same as the one I had taken. I got through it with just knowing all the end of chapter questions, and common sense. The Tree ID is all standard now the trees you will see are the same as my partner saw I made the mistake of studying all the things I did not know real well and did not spend time on what I thought I knew. The worst was Biology ,Trees/People/Ecology. Go for it and good Luck. I am now helping to give this Test. First time is Fri 12/7/07 here in Little Rock Arkansas

the test

I did mine last year. If you can get throught the questions in the book you are fine. The tree ID killed me; It was luck as much as study that got me through those pictures of 10 trees. I could not remember the answere to when to prune for flowers or fruit [IE: summer or dormant, second year wood or first year wood]. Actually I can't remember definatively what the answere is now either, HA HA!

. I got a list of tree's,(94!) am I supposed to be able to memorize all the scientific names? Any insight would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks guys!

94? there are more than twice that on the Mass exam, and you have to know the common and scientific names.

Good luck!

94? there are more than twice that on the Mass exam, and you have to know the common and scientific names.

Good luck!
Well I guess its a good thing I don't intend on moving to Massachusetts! Wow that is pretty intense, really have to give you guys props for having that kind of knowledge. But do you remember anywhere near all off them long after the test?

I'm taking mine on saterday also, down in San Fran. There are 105 trees on the list. The ones I'm have the most trouble with are the citrus. I have never seen a citrus tree up close, and have not fugured out how I am going to be able to tell them apart from a photo unless it has fruit on it. In fact there are a lot of trees on the list I have never seen before living up here towards the Oregan border. I went down to a local arboritum, but there were only a hand full of trees there that I needed to see for the exam. We'll see how it goes.

S

The more you absorb yourself in your profession, the easier these challenges become. Take the test, learn your weak points and take that domain over again if needed. It's a good thing and should not be feared. Arboriculture needs professionals, even if you don't pass the "test". Your committment is to your profession and that is what really matters, every day you'll learn more if you have an open mind.
Good luck, I trust you'll do well.

Mark

The more you absorb yourself in your profession, the easier these challenges become. Take the test, learn your weak points and take that domain over again if needed. It's a good thing and should not be feared. Arboriculture needs professionals, even if you don't pass the "test". Your committment is to your profession and that is what really matters, every day you'll learn more if you have an open mind.
Good luck, I trust you'll do well.

Mark

x2, you should look at passing the test as the first step in your arbo-education.....

see thats whats nice about being in canada we don't have nearly the trees you guys have down the the south.
but my test only had 10 id's on it. mainly pines and maples. with 190 questions to fallow that.

Latest posts

Back