I'm a Do-It-Yerselfer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisochka

Reaction score
We are doing some site prep. before building additions to my house. At least 3 big, old trees have to be cut down.

What size chainsaw should I buy? Can I get away with 16" and get the job done reasonably well? Never done this before!

I need any advice you have on cutting them down. :D

There are 2 very important aspects to tree removal. The first, and most critical, is having the knowledge and ability to get the trees down safely. The second is getting rid of all the debris.
If you do not own a saw and are not familiar with running one efficiently and safely, I would recommend hiring a climber to put the trees on the ground for you. Costwise, it will cost you less to hire a climber with saws than to purchase or rent the saws you will need to do the job. That is assuming you can get the trees down without damaging anything or HURTING ANYBODY . I promise you that after watching an experienced treeman put the trees down safely and how quickly he cuts them up, you will be glad you didn't try it yourself.

A few questions!1.just how big are the trees and what kind of trees are they?2.Do the trees lean away from the house or towards the house?3.Is there room to drop the trees in one peice or will it need to be done in peices?4.does your home owner insureance cover you in case of accident?5.Are you prepared to accept the consequences should things go wrong?Now with that out of the way,do you have any saw experience at all?What part of Michigan are you from?ONCE we get an idea of the job it will be easier to try to help or send you looking for a pro.:D Dan

A 16 in does not say how good the powerhead. For example take a Husky saw. Well lets use Stihl 009 you can put a 18 in bar & chain, on it & wont cut wood very well. But if your saw is powerfull a 16 in will go thru a 32 in log . But you might want to check with local arborist if the removal is a must. & get some prices. You can get the job done pretty cheap without any haul away.(most of the time) But will be even more costly if you have them come back & cut up the dead brush, At a latter date.

I just read what I had written earlier and didn't like the way it sounded. I don't mean to criticize or belittle your ambition, but dropping trees is a lot more dangerous than it looks. All I want to stress is that a hired gun can put the trees on the ground safely and quickly and cut the stuff up so you can handle it easily. AND he can do it for less than you would pay for a decent saw. I would hate to see someone take advice from an internet site then go out and seriously hurt himself trying to tackle 'an easy job'. AND spend more money than it would cost to hire it out.
BTW, every time I ever had to handle brush cut up by a homeowner without saw experience, it took 3 times longer than handling brush cut up by myself or another treeman. You tree guys know exactly what I mean!:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back