I'm gonna become A mountain hermit!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem with owning land is once you get it they just keep on raising the taxes until the locals with local jobs can't afford it.
I'll do whatever I have to to keep what little land I've managed to buy but it sure gets frustrating.
A very interesting series of books on living off the land is the Foxfire books. I've picked up a couple from Amazon. I believe it started out back in the '70s where a high school teacher had his kids interview their grand parents about their life. VERY interesting. I've read a few of the stories to my kids just to give them some perspective.
Good luck.

Gardening and Canning is a great place to start. On a good year, we dont have to buy veggies. An orchard is nice, too.

The thing about living off the land that perplexes most people is that it is incredibly simple. Most people these days cannot handle the simplicity. It sounds crazy, I know, but I think it's true.

Contact your local USDA office. There use to be some very good beginning farmer programs. Get on the mailing list. My CRP contract paid for my hobby farm. Granted it is located on seasonal roads in the middle of no where but I can not see a neighbor. You don’t need money to be smart. Good luck to you.

Chainsawaddict THATS AWESOME:clap: Converted the counselor! love it! I can understand after awhile it seems like a great idea (becoming a hermit). I agree 15,000 an acre is crazy it better have diamonds and gold occasionally float to the surface to collect and justify owning it!! I totally understand wanting to be self sufficient it would be nice to know what your really feeding your family and know its not ground up countertop canned in China HA! If I were you for starter I would do some research on the Amish and Mennonites and how they are self sufficient with food heat ect. don't give up if its what you want to do wish you the best keep us posted!! irishcountry

I agree with Dale. If open field land is $15000 an acre, I doubt you are ever going to get ahead. It's like sending money over to these poor Eithiopian-areas. They have no starting point. Working like Charles Ingalls and living off a piece of land would be a starting point. And like CSA said, canning and gardening make a big difference. Good luck with what you decide. :cheers:

We gave $75,000 for 8 2/3 acres here in Utah. I just saw that post in PA about the ground for $1500-$2000 an acre. I would move in a second for that price. We are blessed to have a little bit of space around us. We have chickens and pigs. We raised a garden this year and froze a lot of vegetables. Those vacuum pack things are cool!!! I have to agree with the other guys on this thread. See if you can find a truck and drive for a while.

This is a little long, so don't read it if that's a problem.

It's been 37 years since my wife/best friend and I packed up and moved to the sticks in the Ouachita foothills here in west central Arkansas. All the work, worry, blood sweat and tears were worth it. We heat with wood, have chickens, I kill deer on the place and we live the simple life we so love. If I could pick up the whole place and move it 50 miles further out I would.

When we first moved out here I dug our septic tank hole and field lines with a pick and shovel. We brought groceries home on a tractor when the river got over the road. We've even brought groceries home in a flat bottom boat down the flooded road.

I can see for 40 miles from my front porch and have 10feet of front yard. It's 100 feet down to the river bottom. I'm an independent hermit type and love living up in the woods. We worked like dogs to get our place but if it wasn't for God helping us we would never have made it. We bought and lived on our first ten acres,then got 20 more then another 2.5 acres. Paid for it a little at a time and ate a lot of peanut butter.

Many city dwellers make the mistake of thinking only ignorant red necks live in the country. Too bad for them. You can find a way to get by in the country. We plant a garden, put up venison and fish. We have learned how to survive. I've made a lot of money and I've made a little money, but hard work and a simple life is the best.

Work + fervent prayer is an unbeatable combination. We home schooled our children here and I had a small business here for nearly 19 years. We buried our beautiful 15 year old daughter that was killed due to the drinking of a driver. With God's help and grace we go on and you can too. Try checking in with him. I'm not talking religion - I'm taking about life and a real person.

With God nothing is impossible.

God gave us this view from our front porch. I pray that you put your life in his hands. All the rest will OK. I'm 64 years old and my wife is 65. This year I put a new roof on our house with absolutely no help. My wife suffered a heart attack and has chronic arthritis. I've felled, cut and split wood for the winter and am still cutting for next year. We have no insurance at all. I have gout, need surgery on at least one shoulder, have two fingers missing on one hand an artery got sheared out of the other one. I lost 20% vision in my right eye from an inflamed optic nerve, but love hard work. It's amazing what a man - or woman - can accomplish when they really take hold.

With God nothing is impossible.

Oh yeah, I hold down a full time job in Hot Springs and have to pay the bankruptcy court $2300 every month before we buy a piece of bread. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have paid well over $100,000 to cover past business debts. We are made of different stuff than those Wall street slicks and crooked politicians that run the majority of the country. I have a good job now designing equipment for an engineering company, but in the past I've been a journeyman tool & die maker, finished concrete, a carpenter, furniture refinisher, roofer.

Back in the old days people headed west to get away from the politicians and Wall street types. There's no more west now, but you can ferret out a place in the hills or mountains or remote bottoms somewhere.

The government didn't show up to bail me out and I didn't ask them. If God allows, I will be free from this in October of 2010.

The hardest thing is usually what you have to do, so just go on and do it. Work at something you may not like too much so that you can finally work at what you really want to do. I wouldn't tell you this if I hadn't done it myself. Many people would not have done what we have had to do - especially the women.

With God nothing is impossible. If you really really want land then get waaaaay out from the big cities, prices go way down. Here in Arkansas there are lots of acres of reasonably priced land in the Ozarks, and I'm certain that in rural Georgia you can find some of the same. Get work somewhere and save for what you want. I didn't like working away from my family in strange places but knew I had to for awhile. Set your face and determination and work for what you dream. My son is 28, works a full time job and is also a full time college student. His grades? Two A's and three B's. He's doing what he wants and so can you.

Draw a mental line and say to yourself "I'm starting right here, right now."

With God absolutely nothing is impossible, and with God all things are possible. Work and go to it!

Don't ask anyone if you can do it - most of them will say you can't. They will judge you by their own lack of determination and purpose. Just do it.

DSC00521.jpg
DSC00636-1.jpg

09-08-08offload086.jpg

Two years before we moved to the country we were living in a mobile home park and being awakened at 3am by squeeling tires
and breaking beer bottles. It was like a prison to us. While living there I wrote this:

A Mountain Home

By Frank Lee Jennings
©2008 All Copyrights remain with the author

Someday I’ll have a mountain home
With forests all around
And through the hollows I will roam
With gun and baying hounds

To hunt the mountain game, all wild
Turkey, deer and Squirrels
Land not yet by man defiled
Best land in the world

The beauty of an autumn’s day
Or winter’s stark delight
Chipmunks on the ridge at play
A flock of Crows in flight

A long day’s hunt, a pleasant one
The tires hounds all close by
The evening chill, a winter’s sun
Sets in a cloud streaked sky

Then homeward trail at twilight time
Lest darkness come too soon
And we must wend through Oak and Pine
By light of winter moon

Crispy leaves crunch neath’ my tread
This frosty winter night
The hounds, all anxious to be fed
And fight their daily fight

Then through the branches shafts of light
All softened by the fog
A guiding beacon in the night
For huntsman and his dogs

The kenneled dogs howl for their bone
And feeding them a trial
Each thinks the grub is his alone
And fights from pile to pile

Once more the hunt is over
And ended where began
A home out on the mountain
In a whispering White Oak stand.

Did it come to pass? You bet! Was it worth it? ........What do you think?

Last edited:
Unbelievable clawmute!....Nuthin' more needs to be said other than amen Brother, may God bless you and yours richly!

as to the land in SW pa. for sale....lots of farms there, but no jobs... beautiful area!...I go to Bedford twice a year for Oldsmobile car shows, would be a nice area to get away to.

:clap:

as to the land in SW pa. for sale....lots of farms there, but no jobs...

Isn't that usually the way? Probably the reason that there is still some nice land available is because there are few jobs and thus people. That's just the way it works. We have zero industry up here. It's all seasonal work and fishing. If you have a trade you might be ok but other than that you need to keep fingers in several pies.

Speachless clawmute! Great story and pics you are rich man indeed and you seem to "get it" thanks for sharing and god bless you and yours!! irishcountry

I had the foresight when I was 21 to buy land.At age 22 I bought 100 acres in upstate NY just 10 miles from the middle of the city.Everybody told me back in 1983 that $33k was too much and that you could buy a house for $40k.Well I always dreamed of my own Ponderosa like Bonanza when I was a kid.Well I am living it now and could easily retire now with what the developers are offering me.But technically my land is worthless since I am saving it for my kids when they are grown since they would never beable to afford to buy that much with prices now.Hope my kids will take care of me when I get old and feeble.

I had the foresight when I was 21 to buy land.At age 22 I bought 100 acres in upstate NY just 10 miles from the middle of the city.Everybody told me back in 1983 that $33k was too much and that you could buy a house for $40k.Well I always dreamed of my own Ponderosa like Bonanza when I was a kid.Well I am living it now and could easily retire now with what the developers are offering me.But technically my land is worthless since I am saving it for my kids when they are grown since they would never beable to afford to buy that much with prices now.Hope my kids will take care of me when I get old and feeble.

excellent.

i want to do the same thing, since my current home is paid in full, but i can't convince the old lady to sell and start over again. so, i'm stuck here.

there are still some good land deals in NYS if you look and i do ocassionally, just to dream.

and the sad thing is depending on how this election goes... your kids could get royally shafted by inheritance tax when you pass it down to them.... some figures are between 40-60%...

All I can suggest is to pick a poor county and buy tax lien certificates with acreage and hope the owner of the title can't afford to come up with the cash.

Back