I'm gonna become A mountain hermit!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a little long, so don't read it if that's a problem.

It's been 37 years since my wife/best friend and I packed up and moved to the sticks in the Ouachita foothills here in west central Arkansas. All the work, worry, blood sweat and tears were worth it. We heat with wood, have chickens, I kill deer on the place and we live the simple life we so love. If I could pick up the whole place and move it 50 miles further out I would.

When we first moved out here I dug our septic tank hole and field lines with a pick and shovel. We brought groceries home on a tractor when the river got over the road. We've even brought groceries home in a flat bottom boat down the flooded road.

I can see for 40 miles from my front porch and have 10feet of front yard. It's 100 feet down to the river bottom. I'm an independent hermit type and love living up in the woods. We worked like dogs to get our place but if it wasn't for God helping us we would never have made it. We bought and lived on our first ten acres,then got 20 more then another 2.5 acres. Paid for it a little at a time and ate a lot of peanut butter.

Many city dwellers make the mistake of thinking only ignorant red necks live in the country. Too bad for them. You can find a way to get by in the country. We plant a garden, put up venison and fish. We have learned how to survive. I've made a lot of money and I've made a little money, but hard work and a simple life is the best.

Work + fervent prayer is an unbeatable combination. We home schooled our children here and I had a small business here for nearly 19 years. We buried our beautiful 15 year old daughter that was killed due to the drinking of a driver. With God's help and grace we go on and you can too. Try checking in with him. I'm not talking religion - I'm taking about life and a real person.

With God nothing is impossible.

God gave us this view from our front porch. I pray that you put your life in his hands. All the rest will OK. I'm 64 years old and my wife is 65. This year I put a new roof on our house with absolutely no help. My wife suffered a heart attack and has chronic arthritis. I've felled, cut and split wood for the winter and am still cutting for next year. We have no insurance at all. I have gout, need surgery on at least one shoulder, have two fingers missing on one hand an artery got sheared out of the other one. I lost 20% vision in my right eye from an inflamed optic nerve, but love hard work. It's amazing what a man - or woman - can accomplish when they really take hold.

Oh yeah, I hold down a full time job in Hot Springs and have to pay the bankruptcy court $2300 every month before we buy a piece of bread. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have paid well over $100,000 to cover past business debts. We are made of different stuff than those Wall street slicks and crooked politicians that run the majority of the country. I have a good job now designing equipment for an engineering company, but in the past I've been a journeyman tool & die maker, finished concrete, a carpenter, furniture refinisher, roofer.

Back in the old days people headed west to get away from the politicians and Wall street types. There's no more west now, but you can ferret out a place in the hills or mountains or remote bottoms somewhere.

The government didn't show up to bail me out and I didn't ask them. If God allows, I will be free from this in October of 2010.

The hardest thing is usually what you have to do, so just go on and do it. Work at something you may not like too much so that you can finally work at what you really want to do. I wouldn't tell you this if I hadn't done it myself. Many people would not have done what we have had to do - especially the women.

With God nothing is impossible. If you really really want land then get waaaaay out from the big cities, prices go way down. Here in Arkansas there are lots of acres of reasonably priced land in the Ozarks, and I'm certain that in rural Georgia you can find some of the same. Get work somewhere and save for what you want. I didn't like working away from my family in strange places but knew I had to for awhile. Set your face and determination and work for what you dream. My son is 28, works a full time job and is also a full time college student. His grades? Two A's and three B's. He's doing what he wants and so can you.

Draw a mental line and say to yourself "I'm starting right here, right now."

With God absolutely nothing is impossible, and with God all things are possible. Work and go to it!

Don't ask anyone if you can do it - most of them will say you can't. They will judge you by their own lack of determination and purpose. Just do it.

DSC00521.jpg
DSC00636-1.jpg

09-08-08offload086.jpg

Two years before we moved to the country we were living in a mobile home park and being awakened at 3am by squeeling tires
and breaking beer bottles. It was like a prison to us. While living there I wrote this:

A Mountain Home

By Frank Lee Jennings
©2008 All Copyrights remain with the author

Someday I’ll have a mountain home
With forests all around
And through the hollows I will roam
With gun and baying hounds

To hunt the mountain game, all wild
Turkey, deer and Squirrels
Land not yet by man defiled
Best land in the world

The beauty of an autumn’s day
Or winter’s stark delight
Chipmunks on the ridge at play
A flock of Crows in flight

A long day’s hunt, a pleasant one
The tires hounds all close by
The evening chill, a winter’s sun
Sets in a cloud streaked sky

Then homeward trail at twilight time
Lest darkness come too soon
And we must wend through Oak and Pine
By light of winter moon

Crispy leaves crunch neath’ my tread
This frosty winter night
The hounds, all anxious to be fed
And fight their daily fight

Then through the branches shafts of light
All softened by the fog
A guiding beacon in the night
For huntsman and his dogs

The kenneled dogs howl for their bone
And feeding them a trial
Each thinks the grub is his alone
And fights from pile to pile

Once more the hunt is over
And ended where began
A home out on the mountain
In a whispering White Oak stand.

Did it come to pass? You bet! Was it worth it? ........What do you think?

This is the best post I've ever read on this site IMO. I think me and you could see eye to eye on about anything.

I especially like it because I have and do spend time in the Ozarks. I go to a friends place that made it all up from nothing. He runs a free church camp, and rely's on others for his income. He is a man's man and humble. We helped him build his house, cabins, kithchen, chapel and make firewood. We also built and donated a trailer to him and many other fab projects. I have killed deer and hog down there too. The rivers are pure blue, and winters are like fall around here. We pack heat wherever we go, with miles and miles of land to hunt. I could go on and on, but I won't.

I love your post and philosophy. Seems that people that live off the land are deeply rooted in reality and spiritually. God bless brother.

Edit: You must be close to him, he has the Oklahoma/Arkansas boarder running right through his yard. He told me we were in the foothills connected to the Ozarks I believe. He is 10 miles from the nearest Arkansas town which is Grannis and has no power. He is up here as we speak, I haven't seen him cause I've been in the hospital with my baby, but he might come over today, I will show him this post!

Last edited:
Yep, those are the mountains he lives in. That's neat, I have hunted in those mountains and I live a long ways away. I remember sitting on the side of a hill deerhunting and a coyote almost ran me over.

Well my 3100 sq ft house is paid for and the taxes are not bad at all since I qualify for agricultural and a neighbor farms part of it.10 miles from downtown and I have had moose,deer,bear,turkey,fisher,otter,beaver,etc.My own 200 yd shooting range outside my back door.State snowmobile trail through a corner of it so no trailering and great deer hunting.OWB for heat,with plenty of wood etc,etc etc ....My own piece of heaven.Well what I have planned is seeling it to my kids CHEAP and my son said he wants my house o what I have planned is when I retire is to have a 2 bdrm at the corner of the property and he pays the mortgage in trade for my house and when I die he will have an income property to help cover taxes.Did my math already.

Life goes on

Hey I could'nt be more pleased with the wonderfull replies you folks have had.

Slofr8: My heart started swelling when you mentioned FoxFire. My father collected the books back in the 70's when they were writen, I was just A kid.
He always talked about "Movin to the mountains and building A cabin".
He taught me how to grow everything I needed, Hunt, Fish, Work on cars etc.
He and my mom devorced when I was 12 and that dream never became A reality for him. I never thought about the fact that I may have been influenced by him in that way but I guess I did because all of that is fond memories. I DID move to the mountains, some 50 miles north of where I grew up, Dahlonega, Ga. right at the start of the appalachian trail.
About FoxFire, Mountain City, Ga. is about 30 clicks north west of me. Guess god does have A plan huh?

Clawmute: You sure your not my dad? heh, God bless you for the inspiration and god bless your wonderfull life.

milkie62: Brother you are/should be an inspiration to all, what you said about passing that land down to your kids is A rare thing nowdays. I cant tell you how many times I have heard people tell me they had there land passed down to them. It used to be that way, and still should.

All in all I think I have to break free of these material things that hold my spirit back. Banks, Credit Cards etc. To quote A favorite song, "I Aint asking nobody for nuthin, if I cant get it on my own, if you dont like the way im livin.. just leave this long haired country boy alone." <-- True story I got hair to my hips!

I had it in my head that since im unemployed anyway, might as well make A stab at being independant. I have tried everything from selling produce to landscaping, pressure washing, selling wood. I have done just about everything A working man can as far as trade wise goes, I can build A house, wire it, plumb it keep it warm with A fire, keep it cool with shade trees, feed myself with A garden...

If I found A good piece of land that the owner would let me pay for A little at A time till its paid for then I get to buld on it, I'd be all over that. Thats what my mother did, gave A man like 2k on A 3 acre lot and paid the other 12k or so A it at A time, then when it way her's she and her new husband built A house on it. That was about 10 years ago and now that 3 acres is worth about 40k...

Okay I gotta get some rest I have A BIG red oak to cut up tommorow!

God bless,
-s.s.-

Yeah, That would be a lot of peoples dreams. But like most it will never happen because most don't know where to even begin to live off the land. You gotta be durable and have a lot of patience to grow things and do it well. But i would love to try.

I have been trying to figure what to grow raise that will make money
off my forty! The truth is; making a living off small acreage and underfunded
never will truly occur unless it is illegal things growing. I am not willing to do
the time or to contribute to misery of another, as well as;the ruining of our youth. Their are many that will and do though and they profit. I really don't
want to mess with cows as they are a pain in the azz and profit ? I am stuck in the Christmas tree and or catfish farm idea! Fish are easier to feed and raise in general and cost less to put pounds on. I could do both but need to rent a dozer for a few days to get the tanks built! I love catfish farm raised even better and they are $ per pound may just see profit. I though of goats but they are nasty and sheep are whooley but fish now there is something I can stick a fork into:laugh:

Last edited:
Hats OFF

This is a little long, so don't read it if that's a problem.

It's been 37 years since my wife/best friend and I packed up and moved to the sticks in the Ouachita foothills here in west central Arkansas. All the work, worry, blood sweat and tears were worth it. We heat with wood, have chickens, I kill deer on the place and we live the simple life we so love. If I could pick up the whole place and move it 50 miles further out I would.

When we first moved out here I dug our septic tank hole and field lines with a pick and shovel. We brought groceries home on a tractor when the river got over the road. We've even brought groceries home in a flat bottom boat down the flooded road.

I can see for 40 miles from my front porch and have 10feet of front yard. It's 100 feet down to the river bottom. I'm an independent hermit type and love living up in the woods. We worked like dogs to get our place but if it wasn't for God helping us we would never have made it. We bought and lived on our first ten acres,then got 20 more then another 2.5 acres. Paid for it a little at a time and ate a lot of peanut butter.

Many city dwellers make the mistake of thinking only ignorant red necks live in the country. Too bad for them. You can find a way to get by in the country. We plant a garden, put up venison and fish. We have learned how to survive. I've made a lot of money and I've made a little money, but hard work and a simple life is the best.

Work + fervent prayer is an unbeatable combination. We home schooled our children here and I had a small business here for nearly 19 years. We buried our beautiful 15 year old daughter that was killed due to the drinking of a driver. With God's help and grace we go on and you can too. Try checking in with him. I'm not talking religion - I'm taking about life and a real person.

God gave us this view from our front porch. I pray that you put your life in his hands. All the rest will OK. I'm 64 years old and my wife is 65. This year I put a new roof on our house with absolutely no help. My wife suffered a heart attack and has chronic arthritis. I've felled, cut and split wood for the winter and am still cutting for next year. We have no insurance at all. I have gout, need surgery on at least one shoulder, have two fingers missing on one hand an artery got sheared out of the other one. I lost 20% vision in my right eye from an inflamed optic nerve, but love hard work. It's amazing what a man - or woman - can accomplish when they really take hold.

Oh yeah, I hold down a full time job in Hot Springs and have to pay the bankruptcy court $2300 every month before we buy a piece of bread. I've been doing this for about 6 years and have paid well over $100,000 to cover past business debts. We are made of different stuff than those Wall street slicks and crooked politicians that run the majority of the country. I have a good job now designing equipment for an engineering company, but in the past I've been a journeyman tool & die maker, finished concrete, a carpenter, furniture refinisher, roofer.

Back in the old days people headed west to get away from the politicians and Wall street types. There's no more west now, but you can ferret out a place in the hills or mountains or remote bottoms somewhere.

The government didn't show up to bail me out and I didn't ask them. If God allows, I will be free from this in October of 2010.

The hardest thing is usually what you have to do, so just go on and do it. Work at something you may not like too much so that you can finally work at what you really want to do. I wouldn't tell you this if I hadn't done it myself. Many people would not have done what we have had to do - especially the women.

With God nothing is impossible. If you really really want land then get waaaaay out from the big cities, prices go way down. Here in Arkansas there are lots of acres of reasonably priced land in the Ozarks, and I'm certain that in rural Georgia you can find some of the same. Get work somewhere and save for what you want. I didn't like working away from my family in strange places but knew I had to for awhile. Set your face and determination and work for what you dream. My son is 28, works a full time job and is also a full time college student. His grades? Two A's and three B's. He's doing what he wants and so can you.

Draw a mental line and say to yourself "I'm starting right here, right now."

With God absolutely nothing is impossible, and with God all things are possible. Work and go to it!

Don't ask anyone if you can do it - most of them will say you can't. They will judge you by their own lack of determination and purpose. Just do it.

DSC00521.jpg
DSC00636-1.jpg

09-08-08offload086.jpg

Two years before we moved to the country we were living in a mobile home park and being awakened at 3am by squeeling tires
and breaking beer bottles. It was like a prison to us. While living there I wrote this:

A Mountain Home

By Frank Lee Jennings
©2008 All Copyrights remain with the author

Someday I’ll have a mountain home
With forests all around
And through the hollows I will roam
With gun and baying hounds

To hunt the mountain game, all wild
Turkey, deer and Squirrels
Land not yet by man defiled
Best land in the world

The beauty of an autumn’s day
Or winter’s stark delight
Chipmunks on the ridge at play
A flock of Crows in flight

A long day’s hunt, a pleasant one
The tires hounds all close by
The evening chill, a winter’s sun
Sets in a cloud streaked sky

Then homeward trail at twilight time
Lest darkness come too soon
And we must wend through Oak and Pine
By light of winter moon

Crispy leaves crunch neath’ my tread
This frosty winter night
The hounds, all anxious to be fed
And fight their daily fight

Then through the branches shafts of light
All softened by the fog
A guiding beacon in the night
For huntsman and his dogs

The kenneled dogs howl for their bone
And feeding them a trial
Each thinks the grub is his alone
And fights from pile to pile

Once more the hunt is over
And ended where began
A home out on the mountain
In a whispering White Oak stand.

Did it come to pass? You bet! Was it worth it? ........What do you think?

Wow,.. Thats humbeling,. I love that story, And, GOD TOO,... Eric

Can't go wrong with Dave Ramsey's approach!

Tough as a :greenchainsaw: . But worth it:cheers:

His theory is easy to follow, but math doesn't support his logic. Although math does not take into account the psychological benefit of seeing fewer bills come in, even if it cost you a bit more in the end, by focusing on the lower balance accounts first instead of the higher interest accounts first. Just my opinion, whatever works, works.

Killed my first deer of t he season Saturday at 6:20pm, just at twilight. He crossed the river into my little green field I cleared from the woods a few years ago. I named it Joanna's field after our daughter that was killed. She loved "small and cozy" places as she dubbed them and this is the most beautiful spot to me on our little country place. During the hurricane Gustav the water was 15ft. over this field and took down that large Red Oak centered in the first photo. It was about 28"dbh and I got most of it out before having to plant the field. You can see the remaining stum in the last cell phone photo. God willing I will dig the stump out next summer.

I cleared this piece by felling the trees and digging out the stumps, then disking and leveling with my tractor. Some of the larger Hackberries and Hickories had quite large root balls!

Thanks boys for all of your kind responses to my post. Even though we are alone a lot we still like people and like to hear what they are doing in their lives. There's something about cutting wood that keeps you tied to natural things. You need to hold on to the good things, there are people out there that want us to live like they do in an artificial environment.

God help us all in these hard times.

Frank & Martha Jennings - aka Clawmute

JFIELD1-1.jpg

Joanna's Field in fall

DSC00800.jpg

Spring again

10-18-08_1028-1.jpg

From my deer blind Saturday, 20feet up.

DSC00454-1.jpg

Next to the field is the Middle Fork of the Saline River. The high water took down a lot of timber along this stream and many others.

Congratulations on the deer!! I haven't hunted in a few years and have been missing the quiet connection to nature you get sitting out!! Beautiful pics like I said before your a rich man indeed and I can't imagine your familys strength going through the hardships you have made it through god bless! Thanks irishcountry

Killed my first deer of t he season Saturday at 6:20pm, just at twilight. He crossed the river into my little green field I cleared from the woods a few years ago. I named it Joanna's field after our daughter that was killed. She loved "small and cozy" places as she dubbed them and this is the most beautiful spot to me on our little country place. During the hurricane Gustav the water was 15ft. over this field and took down that large Red Oak centered in the first photo. It was about 28"dbh and I got most of it out before having to plant the field. You can see the remaining stum in the last cell phone photo. God willing I will dig the stump out next summer.

I cleared this piece by felling the trees and digging out the stumps, then disking and leveling with my tractor. Some of the larger Hackberries and Hickories had quite large root balls!

Thanks boys for all of your kind responses to my post. Even though we are alone a lot we still like people and like to hear what they are doing in their lives. There's something about cutting wood that keeps you tied to natural things. You need to hold on to the good things, there are people out there that want us to live like they do in an artificial environment.

I'm jealous! What a beautiful spot you have there. I'm not a hunter, but come from a family of hunters, and enjoy partaking in the feast. Congrats on the deer. It looks like you've got decades of work into your property and take great pride in it. Keep the pictures coming, or better yet maybe someone should start a new "homesteads" thread (not sure which forum it would fit in, but I'm sure I'd look for hours). I'm blessed to have 10 acres in rural CT, all but about 1 acre of my land is heavily wooded. I have visions of grandeur of what I'd like to do around the property, but I'm not sure where to start, and my other hobbies/responsibilities are always competing for my time.

Somebody, start a new thread so we can share our homesteads and link to it from here, if you think it's a good idea. Like I said, I'm not sure which forum it belongs in.

Congratulations on the deer!! I haven't hunted in a few years and have been missing the quiet connection to nature you get sitting out!! Beautiful pics like I said before your a rich man indeed and I can't imagine your familys strength going through the hardships you have made it through god bless! Thanks irishcountry

If you've ever down this way give me a holler - [email protected]

I'm jealous! What a beautiful spot you have there. I'm not a hunter, but come from a family of hunters, and enjoy partaking in the feast. Congrats on the deer. It looks like you've got decades of work into your property and take great pride in it. Keep the pictures coming, or better yet maybe someone should start a new "homesteads" thread (not sure which forum it would fit in, but I'm sure I'd look for hours). I'm blessed to have 10 acres in rural CT, all but about 1 acre of my land is heavily wooded. I have visions of grandeur of what I'd like to do around the property, but I'm not sure where to start, and my other hobbies/responsibilities are always competing for my time.

Somebody, start a new thread so we can share our homesteads and link to it from here, if you think it's a good idea. Like I said, I'm not sure which forum it belongs in.

From the time I was a boy I loved everything outdoors. My dad and his brothers were raised on a small farm in Fannin County, Bonham Texas. I was born in Bonham in 1944 and our family moved to Arkansas about 1948 or 1949 just after my brother and I got over thyphoid fever. My grandpa' was a commercial fisherman on the Arkansas river in the 40's & 50's

I love the country and I love America. If you have ten acres you are really blessed! It's amazing what you can do with a piece of land. Have fun.

Below is a picture (cir. 1916) of a cowboy watching the stock on the hills around my hometown of Bonham, Texas

I really like your idea of a homesteading or similar forum where everyone could share things from their lives. I have always liked to hear about what other men were doing. Life can be a good adventure even with hardships, troubles that come along.

bonhamcowboy.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

High water covering the field

09-08-08offload111.jpg

Sunset behind "June" mountain on the longest day of the year taken from the front porch. I dubbed these mountains
May & June since the sun sets behind them during parts of those months.

Well, the good news is that land prices will drop during an economic downturn.

The bad news is that farming is neither cheap nor easy. You need at the minimum a decent tractor (or a team of draft horses, etc.) and whatever attachments are necessary to accomplish whatever you are attempting to 'farm'. Figure $5k at a minimum for a decent used small tractor, like a 8N with a discer, for example. (I think I paid $3500 or so for an old Massey Ferguson compact tractor and another $1500 or so for an old bucket and a few attachments for it. And that was several years ago and during the winter when prices were low, too.) The prices go up from there.

If it was cheap and easy to work the land, then you wouldn't see farmers go into debt and lose their land.

Unfortunately, the dream of 'moving back to the land' many times is a lot more pleasant than the reality of actually doing it. Truth.

All I can suggest is to pick a poor county and buy tax lien certificates with acreage and hope the owner of the title can't afford to come up with the cash.

Nah, too much bad juju connected too those. I'm just not the kind of guy too take advantage of someone elses misfortune. Not making any kind of statement, just not for me. Prefer to pay a fair price and feel good about it. :cheers:

A friend of mine went to the courthouse in White county, AR and found a 40 ac piece of private land for sale that was bounded by the National Forest. He doesn't have to worry about someone building a hog farm or a McDonald's next to him. Later he bought another 40acres next to the first.

Going to the county govt' offices is a good place to get info - not necessarily looking to pick up on some person's misfortune - just to quiz the staff about land. They're always in the know about land transactions.

Nah, too much bad juju connected too those. I'm just not the kind of guy too take advantage of someone elses misfortune. Not making any kind of statement, just not for me. Prefer to pay a fair price and feel good about it. :cheers:

Noble thought Steve, and I agree with not wanting to profit from someone else's misery. However, by the time a piece of property is in foreclosure or tax title, the original owner is usually long out of the picture and you are then only dealing with a bank or a mortgage company.

Noble thought Steve, and I agree with not wanting to profit from someone else's misery. However, by the time a piece of property is in foreclosure or tax title, the original owner is usually long out of the picture and you are then only dealing with a bank or a mortgage company.

That may have been true at one time, but I doubt it is the case these days, particularly in the backwaters where the people have nowhere left to go. Do you really want to be surrounded by neighbors (and kin) of those who you 'kicked off' their land? Not for me, thanks.

Now, if you want to buy at an estate or probate sale, then that is a different matter. Then all that you have to deal with is spirits. :)

That may have been true at one time, but I doubt it is the case these days, particularly in the backwaters where the people have nowhere left to go. Do you really want to be surrounded by neighbors (and kin) of those who you 'kicked off' their land? Not for me, thanks.

Now, if you want to buy at an estate or probate sale, then that is a different matter. Then all that you have to deal with is spirits. :)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even in the "backwaters", however I would suggest that vitually everyone living in the 21st century is aware that once a property is foreclosed it is going to then be resold to an innocent third party who had nothing whatsoever to do with the previous owners problems with his lender. Are you suggesting that people in the "backwaters" expect property to remain perpetually vacant after foreclosure?

Farmland bordering mine here in SW PA (Washington County) just sold last week. 120 acres, no structure on the land, but.... 1 gas wll with mineral rights INCLUDING FREE GAS. $320,000.

by the way Clawmute: That was simply an awesome post you had.

Latest posts

Back