Impromptu GTG for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Met @SeMoTony in mascoutah today for a small milling GTG. About a 30" pecan log that @unclemoustache hooked us up with. First time i had ever slabbed a log, first cut was alittle rough, doing too much seesawing. Tony got me lined out and went way better second time around. O and I'm supposed to hit up @Philbert and show him that tony had on the hard hat/ear muffs he got from him. Heres some pics i took today.20170318_100130.jpg 20170318_115802.jpg 20170318_115814.jpg 20170318_120328.jpg 20170318_120343.jpg 20170318_120855.jpg

Hey, whats up? First post here. Thats an interesting set up on that alaskan. Is the reason for the saw being orientated that way so you minimize the loss of bar oil around the end of the bar? Im pretty new to milling, never seen that before, and I too mill with a 661 so I thought I would ask. Thanks for any imput Ladys and Gents.

Nice slabs. Does the saw self feed like that or do you have to push the whole time?

For me, i had to keep pressure more pushing to the side to keep the end of the bar off the bark, but it seemed to cut decent. Im estimating about 7-8 minute cuts

For me, i had to keep pressure more pushing to the side to keep the end of the bar off the bark, but it seemed to cut decent. Im estimating about 7-8 minute cuts
That doesn't sound too bad. Just having the saw pushing the powerhead away from the log seems like it woukd be more work to keep it sliding smooth. I may try it just to see. I file very aggressive so a lot of cuts all I have to do is hold the throttle if I have enough slope.

Probably a really dumb question. What if the chain breaks in the cut. The chain will still be driving thru the sprocket and the first thing the chain will contact out of the cut will be your leg. In the middle of the cut that chain would be stopped in by board and log but when starting the cut is where I would be concerned. Probably way over thinking this

Chris

Nice slabs. Does the saw self feed like that or do you have to push the whole time?
The small amount of slope helped but the self feed comes IMHO from the small amount of angle off perpendicular in relation to the grain. The cutters push causing self feed. Doesnt show in the pic's, but my push is mostly to keep the guide supports out of drag from catching in the bark. Now I see the purpose of the wheels on Bobl's mills. Pushing against 7 hp cutting pecan is trying for an old man such as me.:lol: First time seeing pecan green sliced, Thanx Unc:clap:

Probably a really dumb question. What if the chain breaks in the cut. The chain will still be driving thru the sprocket and the first thing the chain will contact out of the cut will be your leg. In the middle of the cut that chain would be stopped in by board and log but when starting the cut is where I would be concerned. Probably way over thinking this

Chris
Good question! A broken chain will first hit the catch on the saw, then a bolt for the alaskan mil clamp closest to the power head, then gap holding wedge if it is close enough, then (those arent green pants for St. Pattys day!) my chaps, if the chain on the top of the drive sprocket has not already jammed under the cover since it was now being pushed , not pulled around. Had not thought of it before Thank you

Well i caught the milling bug, i just ordered an grandberg alaskan mark 4 56". The mark 4 has machined brackets instead of cast ones. Im super excited. Already have a new echo cs800p on the way and working a deal on a big stihl as well. When it all gets here.... NOTHING WILL BE SAFE. lol

Back