Improving the Harbor Freight Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the grinder if I'm doing multiple chains. ...otherwise I hand file.

If there is bad damage....it still takes a.while with the grinder because you have to keep the tooth cool....blue the tip of the tooth and it's temper is gone. :(
One of the great things about these grinders is they don't have the power to blue a tooth lol.
When I damage a chain I sharpen it just like I would one that has not been damaged, then I grind the teeth with damage shorter. A few short teeth will not effective the way the chain cuts much and this will increase the chain life dramatically. The bummer for my hydraulic setup with a foot clamp would be loosing the ability to remove it from the bench top and put it under the bench. You can see in the pictures how mine are removable from the bench and then I have a place to work on saws. I also have a vise there to hand file while on the saw as well as a small stihl 12 volt grinder for grinding any drive links that get damaged when a chain gets "tossed".1457809369480.jpg1457810110786.jpg1457810782501.jpg

...When I damage a chain I sharpen it just like I would one that has not been damaged, then I grind the teeth with damage shorter. A few short teeth will not effective the way the chain cuts much and this will increase the chain life dramatically... .View attachment 512459View attachment 512460View attachment 512461

great idea, thanks for the "duh" moment. however, i rarely see a chain with just one or two damaged cutters for some reason it's usually the entire right side. i've often wondered if southpaws damage the left side.

great idea, thanks for the "duh" moment. however, i rarely see a chain with just one or two damaged cutters for some reason it's usually the entire right side. i've often wondered if southpaws damage the left side.
That's when you got to walk around to the other side of the tree/log :laugh:.

Back