In Weight Comparison Between McCulloch Pro Macs, and Stihl Chain Saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Hopf

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've always ran McCulloch Chain Saws, had a Homelite XL-76, made a few cuts with a 61 cc Stihl, but never fully operated a Stihl for longer than a few minutes.
Since my Back Injury, a few Guys here suggested to me, about getting a Stihl, because they are lighter than my McCulloch Chain Saws.
This I believe. My Pro Mac 60 weighs 15 LBS without the Bar, and has 60 CC's. My Pro Mac 700 is a bit heavier than the Pro Mac 60 by 3 to 5 pounds without the Bar, and has 70 CC's
I just checked on Mike Acres Site, and was thinking about a Stihl 044, or 440, and there was no weight listed with it.
Now if somebody here could fill in the Blanks for me in the weight, without a bar, I'd really appreciate it. I know where I can get a non running Stihl 044, and am thinking quite seriously about getting it, and see if I can make a good runner out of it.
Also if someone could inform me of a Stihl, that would be equal to my Pro Mac 60 for power, and if the could tell me of the weight of it also with out the Bar.
McCulloch and Stihl, are the Only Chain Saws I have any experience with, other than the Homelite XL-76. With McCulloch, I grew up around them, and with Stihl, I was a Factory Service Technician 7 years ago, with my Local C0-op.
(Presently, I'm only interested in Stihl for right now, Sorry to you other guys that have other Makes of Saws).
Thanks again for your input in this Matter. Bruce.

Apples to oranges Bruce...

The 044 will outperform those old Macs...

If you are really concerned with power to weight... you can't beat an 044 or an 046.

Gary
Hi Gary.
Thanks for the reply. What I was wondering, if the Stihl 044 a was lighter Chain Saw to handle for cutting Fire Wood. I need to have a little lighter Chain Saw, than my McCulloch Chain Saw, and since Stihl is the only other Chain Saw, other than McCulloch, I thought it would be best to go with something I knew about, rather than getting something I've never been around.
What I'm concerned with is the weight aspect. I'm not to concerned about performance.
As it stands right now, if I go and push my self for about 2 to 3hours of cutting with my McCulloch Chain Saws, I'm in a fair bit of pain with my Back.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac's, but they are almost getting too heavy for me to lug around cutting fire wood. If my Back wasn't the way it is, I would not be looking for a lighter Chain Saw. Thanks. Bruce.

The 044 will be around the 15 pound mark without a bar and chain... but what you will gain in performance will make the cutting easier, and therefore less stressful on your back...

I run a 28" bar on my 044... less bending and stooping to cut. Trust me, my back isn't very happy anymore when packin' saws either. :)

Gary

Last edited:
The 044 will be around the 15 pound mark without a bar and chain... but what you will gain in performance will make the cutting easier, and therefore less stressful on your back...

I run a 28" bar on my 044... less bending and stooping to cut. Trust me, my back isn't very happy anymore when packin' saws either. :)

Gary
Hi Gary.
Thanks so much for all your advice. I greatly appreciate it. I'll probably go and see if I can get one of those 044's and give it a try to make it into a good runner. Since I do all my cutting with the tree, or Tree Top suspended in the air with my Loader Tractor, so that I don't have to do too much bending, a 18", or 20" bar would be more than sufficient in the length of the Bar. Thanks Again for the Reply. Bruce.

They're not as heavy as you might think. My pro mac 700 wieghs 19.5 lbs with a 20" bar, chain and fuel. My 7900 dolmar wieghs 18.5 lbs with a 20" bar, chain and fuel. Yes, the dolmar is faster and smoother but the PM700 will surprise you with it's tourque. I have not run it next to an 044 stihl but I would guess it wouldn't be too far behind in cutting speed.

I love my McCullochs...but

If I have to cut for more than just a demo or two, I choose the 036 Stihl. Pretty amazing for a 60cc class saw, light weight, low vibration, and fast as well. On a big log laying on the ground or felling a large diameter tree the McCullochs are great fun.

If I have to swing a saw around limbing and trimming I will choose the 036 or even my Jonsered 2050. I dare saw the 2050 at 50cc's is much faster and much lighter (not to mention less noise and less vibration) than the 10 series McCulloch saws.

Bruce, you owe it to yourself to try something more modern if you are going to be cutting for an hour or more at a time.

Mark

Gary
+1! And try something else that will knock your socks off. Take a Stihl MS 361 and mount a 24" bar and chain on it. Watch it cut like a champion and completely max out the Hp/weight ratio. I can't find anything anywhere that can beat it.

I do not do all of this. I just use the 361 with a 20" bar and get along fine with practically all of the wood that is available that I can use. :chainsaw:

Stihl MS 361 Rocks!

Well Bruce I am glad you are considering what I have suggested. I would be more than glad to help you along with any info and tips I have gained from owning and rebuilding 044`s and MS440`s of which I own and run quite a few.
Heck I would even build you one if you wanted and send it up to you to try out to see if it was not better for a working saw than running an old mac for anything more than fun. I was out cutting today with two of the latest rebuilt 044`s and they cut soo fast that I had a very appreciative audience and more than a few offers to purchase my saws if I would even consider selling them. They are mildly ported and chamfered and of course muffler modded with raised compression, easy to start and easy to run with full comp Stihl chain and rollomatic 20" bars.
Pioneerguy600

Mark,
I have a MacCat Super 16 AV model C5 38 EM and wondering if this is in the Mini Mac series. I think it has the original spark plug ( Jenn Feng 9111- 310002) and would like
to know what the proper spark plug number is. Also how do I determine the year with the ser. No (091803)

Thanks

Tricky50

I ran my 044 against my 700 both with 20" bars and 3/8 chain. The Mac was noticeably slower and heavier with more vibes, but it couldn't be stopped no matter how hard I pushed. The 044 could be fairly easily stopped but was much nicer on the user.

Back