Indoor Boiler, Outside?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrHerrman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been thinking about buying an OWB for next season but need to budget for one unitl then. I have access to free wood and enjoy cutting, so I don't have a problem working for my heat. I was looking at a Heatmor 200, but it would be about $7600. Any other brands you would suggest?

Also, my main question is why couldn't I put an indoor wood boiler outside and build a shed around it to heat my home? Here's why I ask. My friend got an indoor wood boiler from a local and reliable amish company (DS Stoves) here in SE PA. He heats a 300 year old stone house (like ours) with hot water radiators and the stove only cost $3000. The stove keeps his house toasty with automatic air control. My question is why couldn't I buy one of these stoves and for a couple hundred bucks build an insulated shed around it out of tin, so it would look just like an OWB? I could have the same boiler in an insulated, weatherproof shelter for half the cost. Why couldn't this work and what are your thoughts? Thanks for the input.

you can but then u have to insulate the shed and building costs for the shed. Then you would want the shed big enough to hold some dry wood, and electric in it and lights and a cap for the pipe going through the roof and are you gonna pour a pad for the shed? and and and and..... it might be a little cheaper but for the work I like the self contained units myself.

indoor boiler outside

I have a Harmon indoor boiler installed in my barn about a hundred feet from my house. It works great. Only problem is that it sits on a huge poured concrete floor and will sweat in the summer a bit creating some surface rust on boiler plugs and fittings.

It only likes good seasoned hardwood though. Cannot burn green wood in it due to the type of stove it is and the fact that there is 12 feet of stack.

The whole unit, including price of installation, was about half that of the smallest outdoor boiler you can buy.

I think the big differance is the amount of wood you can put in the stove. Most indoor boilers have a smaller firebox than owb. I have a New Yorker iwb and as often as I have to fill it, I would get tired quickly of going outside. Most of the iwb that I am aware of will not give you an all night burn. It would make it better if you had water storage.

Back