Indoor boilers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a home i currently heat with a forced air wood furnace. My pole barn is heated with a free standing radiant stove. I considering one boiler to do both. there are so many optons out there im confused as to which might be the best way to go. The outdoor type is out, i live in a residential area and it wouldnd fit into my good neighbor thing. I see that there are types that use storage tanks. I would want to place the boiler in the pole barn and heat that from the radiant from the boiler itself, or with a couple of heat exchanger with blowees behind them. pumping into the house i guess i would have to use the same thing as I have a forced air duct system allready there. Any comments will help, there doesnt seem to be any lack of different opinions in this group. so the more info i can get will help me make my decision, thanks

I have a wood boiler in my 1 car garage with infloor heat in my wooden floor.Have you ever considered goin with rads and an insulated line from your barn under the frostline. Alot of houses have that around here on the east coast of canada.Similar climate to michigan.You could even go infloor between your floor joices.I paid about .40 cents per foot for the hose.A manifold and bubble wrap would be required also.

I have a wood boiler in my 1 car garage with infloor heat in my wooden floor.Have you ever considered goin with rads and an insulated line from your barn under the frostline. Alot of houses have that around here on the east coast of canada.Similar climate to michigan.You could even go infloor between your floor joices.I paid about .40 cents per foot for the hose.A manifold and bubble wrap would be required also.

I guess that brings up another question, what works the best, heat exchanger, radiant floor, or radiant baseboard. I would ruel anything out at this point. Im sure the heat exchanger in the ductwork would be the cheapest. If I do this, im sure it will be $$$$$$$$$$. So are you using a storage tank, and do you get radiant heat from the boiler itself?

I have my boiler in my detached garage and it heats both my garage and my house. My houe is also forced air. It is very nice to not freeze to death tending the fire outside like with OWB's. I heat my garage with a hydronic shop heater that is also hooked to my boiler. It works REALLY well.

I have the AHS multi fuel boiler. You plan is a very good one, you won't regret doing it. But, my boiler doesn't throw much radiant heat and I don't think many would throw enough heat to use just the radiant heat as a primary heat source for your garage.

BTW< you can get the heat exchanger for your duct work on ebay for about $200 depending on the size.
http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/Multi-Fuel_boilers.htm

Last edited:
I guess that brings up another question, what works the best, heat exchanger, radiant floor, or radiant baseboard. I would ruel anything out at this point. Im sure the heat exchanger in the ductwork would be the cheapest. If I do this, im sure it will be $$$$$$$$$$. So are you using a storage tank, and do you get radiant heat from the boiler itself?

The setup you have would probably be cheaper (Heat exchanger in ductwork) . Yes,The radiant heat is from my Boiler which holds 52 gallons.The hoses for the floor hold 30 gallons.once that water is heated, it's easy to keep it heated.One good thing about infloor heat is when the power goes out ,my floor stays warm for a few hours , so the temperature doesn't really drop for quite some time.You could compare the price difference of a heat excanger,baseboard rads, and the infloor heat (hoses ,probably 2 manifolds,insultion wrap for floor).

Last edited:
You may want to look into the Garn boiler. It is supposed to be less smoke and I think they prefer it to be indoors. Do a search and you can find their website. It might be what you need to keep the neighbors happy. I think you'll get radiant off it too.

Latest posts

Back