indoor stove, outside???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydevil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ihave access to a big oll woodstove and I am thinking about bringing it home and setting it up by my wood pile and cutting area. I will try to send a pic but for now I will describe it as: An average size residential wood burning stove, raised on 4 legs about a half to one foot high, two front doors, a large removable plate above the doors for top filling and or cleaning(I think thats what it is for). Lind with fire brick, a few missing. It seems in good shape. It is pretty heavy too.
My question is this, has anyone had an indoor stove, set up outdoors and how well did/does it work? I did see something like it set up at a Christmas tree farm over the weekend and it looked like it worked well. That is where I got the idea. I figure it might be safer and legaler to use it instead of a ring of large rocks (or nothing) like I use now.Maybe I could attach a stove pipe and some kind of spark arrester?
I know it is odd but I welcome any feedback on this. I would also like to see pics of other peoples fire pits, outdoor fireplaces and stuff like that. No gas grills though. Thanks

Is this stove a hot air furnace ? or is it a boiler? if it is a hot air furnace would think that putting it outside would be quite a job. You would have to have ductwork that runs OUTSIDE your house and then insulated beyond belief in order to control heat loss. I have seen funraces designed for that but they don't seem to be very popular. ( probably an efficiency thing)

If it is a boiler I think it would easily be "do able" as long as you insulate the outside of the stove well with some type of weatherproof insulation. You would also want some way to keep the rain off of it.

IMHO, it is always best to have your heat source inside the house or outbuilding unless the furnace is specificly designed for outside use.( i.e. outdoor wood Boiler) Controlling the heat loss would most likely be a very big task if a stove designed for inside use is used outside..

Do you want this just for heat while you are outside or do you want to heat your house with it? :confused:

me thinks JerseyDevil is describing a plain old woodburning stove, to be used outdoors, for ambience, burning off wood/woodwaste(barksmallchunks etc) and for outdoor cooking.

yes? i say go for it, but treat the stove after each use with a healthy spray of veg oil cooking spray while stove is still warm, to prevent rust if it rains.

:rock:

SRT-Tech said:
me thinks JerseyDevil is describing a plain old woodburning stove, to be used outdoors, for ambience, burning off wood/woodwaste(barksmallchunks etc) and for outdoor cooking.

yes? i say go for it, but treat the stove after each use with a healthy spray of veg oil cooking spray while stove is still warm, to prevent rust if it rains.

:rock:

If that is the case then I don't see why you shouldn't do it.. What could it hurt... you are not really losing anything.

I guess you would still need some type of chimney?? not sure.. how would it draft and would it really have to draft outside? ther is no smoke in the house issue obviously.. I am at a loss on this one...

Might as well stick a 5' length of pipe on it to keep the smoke out of your face.

When I work at my woodlot I offen keep the fire going to burn the waste and create ambiance.

If we camp out in the woods and it's been wet we stack the wood around the fire to dry it a little before using it.

Sounds like a great idea to surround the stove in your wood pile. I also have an extra stove and thinks you gave me an idea. ;)

I don't plan to heat any buildings with this stove, I just would just use it to burn twigs, sticks and junk wood, plus warm up next to it on cold days when working outside.
Sorry, I never wanted to give people ideas.

a long time coming

I finally brought home the stove. I still need to get the pipe and cap, but here it is as it sits in my back yard. JD

JD What you have there is an old morso 1125 dont waste it by putting that outside I still burn one that my dad had when he was a dealer in the early 70's It heats my house as we speak you have one sweetheart of a stove there take care of it they are far and few between! Wish I came across another one I would put it in my garage.:rock:

Last edited:
Thanks for the ino pan. It has a crack along the seam in the back and I don't know if it can be fixxed. I'll try to post a pic asap. I don't know what else to do with it, as it would not fit into any of our fireplaces. I will consider keeping it under cover in a wood shed or something.

Might be fun!

With my situation it isn't worth it. I split in a open field, and the wind is usually rippin' :laugh: . Then there is the risk of actually setting the pile on FIRE !!!!

go for it. I wish I could.

-Pat

Back