Indoor wood boiler choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limekiln

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on the following indoor wood boilers: Greenwood, Tarm, New Horizon, and Black Bear.

I'll be building a new house and want to install a stand-alone boiler which will be backed up by oil or propane. I'm leaning towards the Tarm, since they've been in the business so long and are only a couple hours south of me in N.H.

Black Bear Boilers is a new company in Maine and the New Horizon is made in Europe and distributed out of W. Virginia I think. I don't know anything about the Greenwood.

If anyone owns an indoor boiler made by these companies or has any input I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Limekiln

Are you going to back up the wood boiler with a completley separate oil/propane furnace?? Your post dosn't mention this. If so, it would be alot more cost effective to just buy a wood boiler that already has the oil/propane backup right on the boiler itself. I recently built my house also and if you are like I was its all about saving money where you can..

Have you looked at the AHS boiler? I have the AHS multifuel ( wood/coal/oil ) and I love it. The oil only kicks on when the fire dies down. That way you are not a slave to the boiler... I had a wood eating OWB and thankfully I found someone to buy it. I put my AHS inside my garage and it is WAY,WAY more efficient than the OWB was.

I looked at the Tarm but it didn't burn coal. I then looked at the New Horizon. It looks like a very good unit but they didn't offer the automatic oil backup. They might now but didn't last year when I was looking at them.
I also looked at the Royall indoor coal boiler but there again no oil backup.

I went with AHS for two reasons the first is the customer service is just simply outstanding. The owner (Jeff) answered my questions for a good half hour during my initial call. and I have probably called him 4-5 times since about little things and he is just great about it.
Also, when i called him initially, I was prepared for the usual rhetoric from a dealer/salesman about outragous burn times and how much more efficient superior their unit is compared to others ,,, you know the deal.. Well, he was totally honest about burn times and did not try to B.S. me into buying his unit.
Secondly, and this is a important feature with opil backup, The oil burning chamber is a separate chamber from the wood chamber. That way the fly ash doesn't plug up the oil burner. I believe AHS is the only one that has this feature. ( if you look at the pic on the website of the multifuel boiler the oil chamber is the round part on the back)

SO, to "Boil" it down I would highly recommend AHS. Also have you looked into a Gasifier unit. They work great if you are going to burn wood only. My co worker has the AHS gasifier " woodgun" and he loves it. It is pricy but not as pricy as Tarms gasifier and it will take much larger pieces of wood then the tarm.. I wanted to burn coal so I went with the multifuel..

http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/

I hope this helps you out...
Shawn,

Last edited:
Shawn,
This will be a stand alone wood boiler with an oil or propane back-up. I don't want a combination unit. I definitly want a gasification boiler.
The New Horizon boilers look like a good option. They are less expensive than Tarm but I'm leery of the warrenty. I'd like to hear from someone who has one.
Thanks

Limekiln said:
Shawn,
This will be a stand alone wood boiler with an oil or propane back-up. I don't want a combination unit. I definitly want a gasification boiler.
The New Horizon boilers look like a good option. They are less expensive than Tarm but I'm leery of the warrenty. I'd like to hear from someone who has one.
Thanks

I don't know anyone that has the New Horizon gasifier. I looked hard at the Tarm and I believe they quoted me a price of a whopping $10,000 !!! and the wood has to be cut pretty small to fit in the firebox. I know my co worker really likes his AHS gasifier.

The New Horizon looks like it needs a whole lot of accessories to run efficient. I could be wrong about that though.
Gasification is the only way to go in my opinion, if you only want to burn wood. They seem to heat alot better and are way more efficient . If someone would have made a wood/coal gasifier I would have bought one in a minute.

Why in the world would anyone buy an OWB when these gasifiers are readily available? When I bought my OWB Gasifiers were not on the market yet. I think it is simply because peple do not know about the gasifiers and the advantages they have over the OWB's. I would have boughta wood gasifier but I have an unlimited supply of very cheap coal in my area ( $45-65 a ton) and it burns really well. I spent $250 last year to heat my 3,500sq ft. home that is on top of a very cold mountain..

One tip, if you are buying out of state, tell them that you seen their boiler on the web. That way you don't have to pay taxes. This saved me about $400.

I agree...I did have a OWB and loved it, but it sure went through the wood. The OWB sprang a leak (it was 16 years old) and I ended up buying a New Horizon (EKO-Line 60). I am hoping to burn half the wood and will heat house (2400sqft), garage (920 sqft), domestic hot water (three kids, wife), and future shop/garage (2200 sqft). I always get my wood for free, usually just have to cut it.

This gasification unit is coming in at about the same about of money as the OWB. There will be alittle extra plumbing with this unit.

And one other advantage (I hope), is alot less ash.

Good luck
Bryan

ktm rider said:
I don't know anyone that has the New Horizon gasifier. I looked hard at the Tarm and I believe they quoted me a price of a whopping $10,000 !!! and the wood has to be cut pretty small to fit in the firebox. I know my co worker really likes his AHS gasifier.

The New Horizon looks like it needs a whole lot of accessories to run efficient. I could be wrong about that though.
Gasification is the only way to go in my opinion, if you only want to burn wood. They seem to heat alot better and are way more efficient . If someone would have made a wood/coal gasifier I would have bought one in a minute.

Why in the world would anyone buy an OWB when these gasifiers are readily available? When I bought my OWB Gasifiers were not on the market yet. I think it is simply because peple do not know about the gasifiers and the advantages they have over the OWB's. I would have boughta wood gasifier but I have an unlimited supply of very cheap coal in my area ( $45-65 a ton) and it burns really well. I spent $250 last year to heat my 3,500sq ft. home that is on top of a very cold mountain..

One tip, if you are buying out of state, tell them that you seen their boiler on the web. That way you don't have to pay taxes. This saved me about $400.

Boundary,
Have you installed the new boiler yet? I'll be curious to hear how you like it this winter. How was your experience with New Horizon?

Thanks,
Limekiln

Limekiln:

The unit is currently being shipped. I am hoping to have it up and running within acouple weeks.

So far, all the people that I have dealt with on this unit have been great. The hardest part for me was the actual decision. I was going to buy another AquaTherm OWB, but the more research I did, the more I leaned towards an efficient gasification unit. Whether people agree with it or not, the days of OWB's are probably limited.

Tarm was at the top of my list...but the cost and they really want a "heat storage system" installed with the unit.

Good luck,
Bryan

Im inbetween an indoor boiler and an OWB. I have a lot of pine and hemlock to burn. Do these indoor units burn softwoods efficiently? My other problem, i dont currently have a chimney. As these are pretty good investments, i was thinking that i could run a SS flue for the first couple of years and then get a masonary chimeny built.
Ive looked a little at the Tarm and Greenwood.

KTM250 rider, ( nice name by the way )

These indoor wood only boilers are gasifier units. The wood needs to be dry, very dry for a gasifer to work properly. I have a multifuel that burns wood coal and oil and IS NOT a gasifier. There is a HUGE difference between to two. If you are only going to burn wood and no coal at all I would go with a gasifier for sure. They are very efficient but are only made by a few manufacturers.

Also, I had a 40 ft. masonry chimney built for $600 total by a local block layer. My buddy bought a 20 ft. stainless steel chimney last year for $2,000 !!!
I don't think a SS temporary flue would be a wise financial decision.

Your buddy got ripped off. Should be about $300 and some more for labor or do it yourself. :chainsaw:

Check Ebay.

Oh and the insulation $200 more for the kit.

You also got a deal for that chimney at 6 hundy.:cheers:

Your buddy got ripped off. Should be about $300 and some more for labor or do it yourself. :chainsaw:

Check Ebay.

Oh and the insulation $200 more for the kit.

You also got a deal for that chimney at 6 hundy.:cheers:

Yep !! That is what I tried to tell him. He insisted that was the going price for what he was buying. The guys that built my masonry chimney are VERY good at what they do and obviously very cheap.:rock: My buddies stainless looks like crap already and he only had it 2 years.

I just got a flier in the mail from Tarm and an email from AHS. The Tarm Solo plus 60 listed at 6,745 ( no heat storage) and the EBW200 at 8,900.

New Horizon recommends wood at 20% moisture, is that considered dry?

Go to ********** and under forums, go to the boiler room. There's more information on gasifiers than anywhere I know of. Any wood boiler should have some form of automatic electric backup. When I see the prices on some of these boiler systems it just seems unbelievable. Most of those with gasifiers seem to love 'em. OWB's are wood hogs but I'd have to be 30 years younger to ever see a payback on a gasifier.

I personally don't like the draft an indoor wood fire creates. Do the new indoor wood boilers have a fresh air vent for the burn? If not I highly recommend installing one some how. I'm also a worry wort and have zero flames in my home. Electric stove and my OWB takes care of everything else. I looked into the indoor boilers and was considering buying the HS Tarm due to the fact you see them 25 years old still working. But after a chimney fire I crossed out that plan.

I think the indoor variety is great but when it comes to saving your valuable indoor real-estate space, this is simply a better choice. The way these work is basically the same as the indoor unit but the whole boiler is outside and has a vent to track the heat produced into the home.

Back