Indoor Wood Boilers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cage116

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have recently bought a house that is approximately 1800 square feet and its currently heated by an oil fired boiler that also heats my domestic hot water. My plan is to add an indoor wood boiler to the system to do the majority of the heating and to heat the domestic hot water . My question is what is a reputable unit that will fulfill my needs? I have spoken to Greenwood, Tarm and Royall so far and I am not sure which one will be the best to go with. I am planning on pulling the trigger on one within the next few weeks but I am not sure which. Anyone out there with any experience with any of these manufacturers? Thank you

Out of those three - Tarm.

Others: Eko, Biomass, Econoburn, Varmebaronen (what I have - google 'smokeless heat'), Woodgun, Attack, Effecta, Garn (those are big). Likely others slipping my mind at the moment.

Those are all gasifiers, some require storage be added too (mine does). Garn has it built-in, but is an open boiler - rest are pressurized. They will all require decently dried wood - which you will have to have all ready to go now if you're planning to burn this winter.

After spending 3 winters with a gasifier + storage, vs. the prior 17 years with a wood-oil combo old school unit, there is no way I would go back to a non-gasifier.

I installed a thermo - control 3 or 4 years ago and have been very happy with it
My brother in law has since bought one
I also heat my house and hot water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I installed a thermo - control 3 or 4 years ago and have been very happy with it
My brother in law has since bought one
I also heat my house and hot water

I've considered one of those for my house. How many square feet do you heat and what kind of construction is your home? How much wood so you burn?

My boiler is the 2500 there smallest boiler don't remember the btu

The house is about 1500 Sq ft typical 70s construction 2x4 walls with 1/2 in of foam on the outside I had 15 in of blown in fiberglass on top of the original 6 in batts in the attic the same year I put in the boiler

I also heat a 24x24 garage with a unit heater (only to 45 if im not out there) and my hot water off of the same boiler

It does well down to about -10 but past that it struggles to keep up luckily we only see that a couple times a year

As for wood consumption as much as I can fit in the basement I would guess 8 to 10 full cord I never really bothered to measure and about 150 gal of oil a year to heat the house on the weekends and the hot water all summer

i have a old northland wood oil boiler . it works well 7 to 9 cords. oct- may.if it goes out i will go to a gasification.i would consider tarm.make sure you go and see the one being used.

Replacing my old wood furnace with a boiler was one of the best things I have done I went from 5 wood stoves to 3 I burn a little more wood but it's a lot easier

We did 16 years with a Harman sf260 add on boiler piped into out oil unit. Even with good dry wood, our creosote issues were endless. The constant cycling of the auto-damper on the Harman with no storage is not the way to go. Last two winters on a Garn 1000, I threw the chimney brush away. If the Harman could have burned flat out, putting that heat into a storage tank, it would have been a better setup. I could go on & on about some of the chimney fires and creosote issues - We hold an unofficial record for un reported - un responded chimney fires covering about 14 of those 16 years here.

I am seriously considering the Royall. Is there anything I should know about them? I am hoping to hear from folks who have some experience with these things as I have none. Thank you Guys.

Boilers like that will make a lot of creosote - so make sure you have a plan for cleaning your chimney. I used to do mine 3 times a winter - start, 1/3 mark, and 2/3 mark. Sometimes not fun in the middle of winter on a 2 storey roof. I haven't had a brush in it since I went to a gasifier.

Not saying it's a bad choice, just have to be ready for it.

I guess that depends what 'that much' is. And how 'greener'.

It definitely dampers the fire & heat output. Anything much more than 25% will be kind of dismal - but some models can get more heat out of wood that is less optimum than others. Mainly ones with some serious forced draft going on, like a Wood Gun or Econoburn.

They are designed to get most of the heat they make out of the secondary burn. And dampness puts a damper on that. But having said all that, everything that burns wood for heat will get less heat out of the wood that goes in if it's 'greener'.

I have recently bought a house that is approximately 1800 square feet and its currently heated by an oil fired boiler that also heats my domestic hot water. My plan is to add an indoor wood boiler to the system to do the majority of the heating and to heat the domestic hot water . My question is what is a reputable unit that will fulfill my needs? I have spoken to Greenwood, Tarm and Royall so far and I am not sure which one will be the best to go with. I am planning on pulling the trigger on one within the next few weeks but I am not sure which. Anyone out there with any experience with any of these manufacturers? Thank you
Cage, I have d.s. aquagem 3200. Check it out online,solid unit by the amish down in PA. The boiler is not a gasser but for me I keep the creosote to a minimum by loading wood as needed to temp. if you have ant question give me a call. Luke 203-610-7667

Latest posts

Back