Inductive tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I am getting into this chainsaw stuff now, and of course will be modifying them. What does everyone use to tune these for maximum performance? What brand of tachometers are the favorite?

Thanks, Josh

Four Paws said:
Well, I am getting into this chainsaw stuff now, and of course will be modifying them. What does everyone use to tune these for maximum performance? What brand of tachometers are the favorite?

Thanks, Josh

You can get a real good tach at most any small engine dealer. Some will need a wire to hook to the spark plug wire, some will not. Some you just point it at the plug and you will get your Rpm readings, that is the one to get. Much easier to use than fooling with hooking up wires. Price is around 100.00 but its money well spent...........

Baileys tach

I've got the same tach.They told me the battery would last seven years!There's no on off switch either.They said when you set it down it will turn off.Not mine!They did give me an extra piece of plastic the same size as the back.Cut,:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: grind off old backing,replace batteries put this thing on?Has tape on it to stick I guess.
Ed:deadhorse:

Does anybody use a contact tach? It has a shaft with a rubber point that you would just place on the center of your spinning object, in the case of a chainsaw I would think to put it on the clutch nut, or that end of the crank shaft anyway.

I used to use one measuring pulley speeds in air handlers.

I've got a Dixson #1082 analog that needs no wire hook up. Usually, they are around $100.00-$125.00. I got one brand new off eBay for $63.00/Delv. I like it.
Jay

I've used several types, but have settled on the Stihl EDT5 - it works well (they all do), is robust (they all aren't) and the batteries are replaceable. About $100.

If you do work on other (than chainsaw) small engines, make sure you can adjust the tach to account for the sparks per rev from 1 per 2 revs to 2 per rev. Many 2 cylinder 4 cycle engines put out 2 sparks per revolution. I use the EDT5 on all my small engines, and my truck.

Latest posts

Back