Initial thoughts - Stihl MS180-C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
From a previous post you know I was looking for a small saw to replace the played out Husky 41 that I use for small stuff and for limbing. Wednesday I went out and bought myself a Stihl MS180-C with the stock 14” bar and .043 3/8 picco chain.

I spent this morning clearing some small scrub trees and brush at the edge of my property, pruning the lower limbs on a large hemlock and cutting up a downed apple, a standing dead cherry and two standing dead ash trees for firewood.

The first thing I noticed is how light this little guy is. At under 9lbs. it’s noticeably lighter than the 41 and is light enough that it can be handled with one hand for pruning stuff just out of reach. Though maybe not quite as powerful as the 41 it’s got plenty, and turns the 14” bar with no problem. It’s got a wider power band than my new Jonsered and has good power in the top 1/3 of its rpm range. The skinny little cuts this picco chain makes are funny looking at first but makes a lot of sense in a low horsepower saw and gets the same job done as a more powerful saw making a wider cut.

There are only a few things I don’t like about it. The on/off/choke lever is clumsy, the fuel tank is pretty small, the nose sprocket isn’t greasable and the chain is tricky to get back on the drive sprocket if you throw it.

Other than those few things I really like this little saw. It’s got a more usable power-band than my Jonsered 2054 and behaves more like the 525, but in miniature form. It’ll be the one I use for all the small chores and all my firewood under 12”. For just over $200.00 it's a great little saw!

Thanks for all the advice!

Jim

they are a nice little saw if used in their proper enviroment,light trimming,small jobs they work great.
don't subject it to full bar cuts all day long and the little guy will be around for a long time.enjoy.

mini kahuna said:
don't subject it to full bar cuts all day long and the little guy will be around for a long time.enjoy.

Besides the obvious wear to a pretty light-duty bar and chain, why not? I plan on using this saw for most of my firewood under 12".

jim

If you dont mind me asking? Isn't your jonsrered 525 a decent firewood saw. My buddy has one and he will cut side by side with my stihl ms250 for around a 10lb saw. I like his jred 525!!! I am asking a stupid question I know, I will understand when I have more than two or five saws right?

Sure, I love the 525 but it's pretty heavy to use all day long and a bit overkill for most of my firewood. It's got enough power to turn a 20" bar so that's what I keep on it now. I was using my Husky 41 with a 16" bar more than anything but it's pretty well shot not and has a lot of vibes. A fair amount of my firewood is 12" or less and using the 525 or even the new 2054 is really more than I need.

But still, you're right. If I could only have one saw, it would be my 525.

One saw? Can you even imagine something so terrible? :)

jim

Back