Insert Dump Beds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a insert type dump bed? Not the ones that come in a kit that you convert your pickup box too, but the one that inserts into you pickup box. I've been looking at some but hey don't look like they could hold much wood, just curious if any one has used/seen one being used to know if they are worth the money?

Guy at work has one. He straps it to the flat bed on his F350. Operated on a spare 12 volt car battery that sits up front. I would say you'd loose about 1/4 of your cubic feet of bed space and not sure on the weight. He uses his bobcat to load his. If you're traveling for your wood, I would say it is not worth the sacrificed load capacity.

There sure look cool in the literature and vid's though! I wondered myself about the capacity loss? Cool idea though.

Around here there are allot of small dumpers. I was looking at a Ford 3 or 450? One ton truck, 4x4 with dump body, came with an old fisher plow too. I think the Landscape bizz guys buy em quite a bit and the firewood cut/splitters deliver with them. Anyways this one was an early 90s fairly low mileage for $6800. Not that bad really but huge gas gulper I'd imagine with 460ci. Now get me a nice trailor and backhoe, small dozer and I'm stylin! :clap: :cheers:

I use an easy dumper insert on an 85 chevy 3/4 ton with extra leaf springs. I added 2 foot sides and haul a full cord. Kinda heavy for a single wheel truck, but no problem for the dumper. Dumps that load with ease.

That is exactly the type of vehicle abuse the insert dumpers lead to!

Yeah that is what I don't need, But proably isn't any worse than what I have been doing. I have a 1 ton but that don't mean much! Looks like I will keep renting the dump trailer until I find a small dumptruck reasonable.

I just sold a f-250 with a E-Z Dump insert and two extra leafs on each side of the truck. It also had 2ft sides. I would recomend them for the occasional delivery of a cord of wood or for what I used it for which was stump grinds mostly. If you are in the firewood buisness a dump trailer would be a better rout to go IMO. The only reason I sold mine was because it was replaced with a f-350 powerstroke Dump.

maxi dump

i put a maxi dump in my f350 dually. i put a top on it. it's a 7 yard chip box. since it's undwe 10,000 gvw i could use HOV lanes. it's on my website www.prorover.com. but u really need a one ton dually for these boxes. i had an ez dumper also, but themaxi dump is twice as strong and has daul cylinders....

The only real differance between a 3/4 and a 1 ton is the size of the leaf spring packings.

Not always. Sometimes the brakes are bigger and systems different. On 4x4 the front axle is bigger. With the old Chevies anyways. Not sure about the new junk, back in the day all the big 3s 3/4 tons had real rear axles, not the lameazz semi floaters.

Not always. Sometimes the brakes are bigger and systems different. On 4x4 the front axle is bigger. With the old Chevies anyways. Not sure about the new junk, back in the day all the big 3s 3/4 tons had real rear axles, not the lameazz semi floaters.

Yes, my 3/4 ton ford had 2 3/4 brake shoes and a Dana 60 with a Twin traction beam front end, leaf spring (Weird independent suspension) My 1 ton has 3" brakes and a dana 60 front end straight axle. Both are full floaters, that and the drive shaft yokes are of a different size, between mine. (1 ton being bigger)
Do the new chevy's 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use semi floaters?

About dumping...

we use an old trick that i learned from a horse owner who dumps his dung that way.

Before loading you put a heavy textile (old truck trailer cover is what we use) sheet on the bottom of the loadbed or trailer. Make sure the sheet is longer that the load both front and end- end.

You load your wood, close everything and drive it to where ever it needs to be. Than you attach a rope to the sheet an attach the other side to something fix (can be other car if nothing else available).

Then you just drive away. What happens is that the wood stays on the sheet, the sheet is fix so the car drives away from under the load. Load + sheet drop on ground. ready.

At least 90% of your wood should be out that way if you experiment a little with how you load.

Trick is to keep driving once you start. Faster can be better depending on the shape of your loadbed.

Mother in law appreciates her firewood be delivered that way on her lawn. All the small bits stay on the sheet so easy cleaning afterwards.

guess its a homeowner thing but it works anyway

Last edited:
Yes, my 3/4 ton ford had 2 3/4 brake shoes and a Dana 60 with a Twin traction beam front end, leaf spring (Weird independent suspension) My 1 ton has 3" brakes and a dana 60 front end straight axle. Both are full floaters, that and the drive shaft yokes are of a different size, between mine. (1 ton being bigger)
Do the new chevy's 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use semi floaters?

1 Tons are always f.f. Starting in 1981 Ford and Chev started putting semi floaters in some 3/4 ton trucks. Then they called the f.f. ones heavy duty. There is huge difference between the two types. The f.f. is like the rear on a semi truck, the semi floater is like the rear on a car.

1 Tons are always f.f. Starting in 1981 Ford and Chev started putting semi floaters in some 3/4 ton trucks. Then they called the f.f. ones heavy duty. There is huge difference between the two types. The f.f. is like the rear on a semi truck, the semi floater is like the rear on a car.

Yeah I know what they are, I was just curious if they new truck were trying to get away with using SF.

Back