Install/Connection Question on New OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OUBrew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK...first post...

My current set up is an all infloor open system run off a Polaris Water Heater rated at 130,000 BTU/H. I have three zones in the system but rarely use the loft zone...running the basement and main floor mostly.

I have purchased a new OWB from a local guy that builds them. He modeled his design off of what he felt were the best features of all the main models. The only drawback I can see is that he did not use stainless in production. I only paid $2500 for the stove so i figured I could go through 3 before I hit the cost of the Aquatherm I was looking at. He has built over 40 stoves and I talked to several of his customers...some have been using their unit for 5 years.

I dug the trench for my pex at 6' and had a blast core drilling two 6" holes through my basement poured walls. The pex is in the mechanical room and my pad has been poured. I have placed the unit and framed up my OWB house...now time for the connections...

I believe I have the outside hook-up down. I am running a Taco 0014 to the Polaris and a Taco 007 to the heated in floor section in the garage. I purchased a 50 plate water to water exchanger for the heat transfer to the Polaris.

Question#1: If I connect the Supply and Return lines from the OWB to one side of the plate exchanger and tap into the Supply and Return Lines on the Polaris...will my system function off of the LP hook-up when I am not running the OWB? I am thinking winter vacations and summer hot water...

Question #2: Do I need a small pump on the Polaris side of the plate exchanger? I have the Taco 0014 pumping the water from the OWB to the Polaris.

Thanks for your help on this project

Last edited:
#1 The LP should kick on when the water gets cold (ie when the fire goes out). You may need to mess with the high low settings though.

#2 Not sure if I under stand but water will need to be pumped through both sides of the heat exchanger.

Have any pictures of this OWB? Sounds like a good unit.

Ok

So...I do need a pump to move the water from the Polaris to the plate exchanger and back into the Polaris. Can I connect at the outlet and inlet ports on the Polaris that supply and return my main zones?

So...I do need a pump to move the water from the Polaris to the plate exchanger and back into the Polaris. Can I connect at the outlet and inlet ports on the Polaris that supply and return my main zones?

Yes you could also put the HX in the return to the polaris boiler. So that the water going into the polaris would be heated with the OWB. Useing it this way you should't need another pump on the polaris. Make sence?

Latest posts

Back