Installing a new heating system from scratch, OWB vs wood furnace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I’ll be different than most answers on this one. I like the “feel” of wood heat… whether radiated or forced air, wood heat is just more comfortable to me. Any boiler, outdoor or indoor, makes heat that “feels” just like any other boiler heat… it don’t “feel” like wood heat. For that reason alone I wouldn’t have a wood fired boiler.

Personally, the last thing I’d want is an outdoor wood burner of any sort… I don’t care if it only needs to be done once or twice a day, I don’t want to go outside to feed the beast. When I’m loafin’ in the recliner, sippin’ a beer in my slippers and long-johns, I flat don’t want to but my boots and coat on to feed the fire… I prefer to just walk down the steps and toss a couple splits on (even naked I ain’t gonna’ get a chill, and I never need to set that beer down). I also understand (no personal experience) that outdoor wood boilers use a lot of wood compared to an indoor forced air wood furnace… although not necessarily a “deal breaker” for me, it would definitely be a huge part of the decision (especially if I didn’t have a good size woodlot on my property close to the firebox).

Just my take… nothin’ more.

I've been in a couple homes that had in floor or under floor radiant heat, they had that wood heat "feel". I agree that a boiler hooked to a heat exchanger in a forced air system, feels just like oil, gas, whatever.

We have been using an OWB for 6 years and I love it, if I had no choice but to go back to burning inside I would quit burning wood. That being said I always caution those that have interest in an OWB about their commitment to burning wood. Anyone who has not burned wood I tell them NOT to get and OWB until they have burned wood for at least two years, why? Damn few realize the work they are about to get into and the commitment they are making. With an OWB, its not for part timers who like a warm fire now and then or those who want to reduce the heat bill in the coldest months. If cutting wood is nothing but a chore forget it! BUT If you like being in the woods, like to run the saws and split, have the sources of wood, dont mind staying home to feed it then an OWB shines.

Man did you hit it on the head... I burn 5 to 7 cords a year in a wood stove. I would never want to go to a OWB.. I would have to cut 3 times more wood..

I'm sure there is a ton of reading on it, but briefly what are the pros/cons of a stainless steel boiler vs mild steel? Also what are the pros/cons of radiant floor vs baseboard radiators?

I cant speak to the types of steel, but I can a little about the heat delivery method.

Im guessing by baseboard radiators, you mean fin tube. The fin tube stuff is cheaper, easy to put in, and puts out heat quickly when you feed it the right temperature water. You need to size it for the water temps you want to deliver, but the output tends to fall off below 140 degrees pretty quickly unless you install a lot of it. Radiant runs at a lower temperature (need a mixing valve if using an OWB), may be more difficult to install depending on what you have for access to your floors, and isnt an "instant on" type of heat. You want to turn it on and let it ride for the most part. The big benefit is that if you were go with a heat storage tank, you can run that down to low temps, you could heat with just solar if you wanted, and that it puts the heat right at your feet. Typically the air temp can be a few degrees lower with radiant, as you feel more comfortable when your feet are warm and your head is cold. Especially nice when you put it under tiles in the bathroom for chilly mornings.

Why would you wait to insulate the walls? There are companies (in Indiana so I am sure everywhere else too) that will pump foam insulation into your walls through holes they drill and put back to a paintable surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of great input in here. I agree with others who recommend burning wood prior to getting into an OWB. We used a stove for years before switching to an OWB. While I used to be one of the guys who said they'd never get one, I pulled the trigger when presented with a really good deal. It has turned out to be hands down the best decision I could have made. The ease of loading the stove combined with the much much longer times between reloading and the exact temperature control is what gets me the most.

Takes me about 5min to run outside, throw a days worth of wood in there and move on to whatever else I need to do.

Most days I'll be gone for large portions of the day, especially when plowing season picks up. So it's really nice to come home to a perfectly heated home and not have to start a fire first thing.

However like others have said, you need to pick the system that fits you and what you want to get out of wood burning the best. I'd definitely get some blown in insulation in the walls though. Money well spent. Not so much because of wood usage but because it'll just make the house less drafty and more comfortable.

Now that we have a generator I'd like to try an OWB if we were to start from scratch.

Back