• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat Maxx

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat-Maxx saves you time, labor, money and benefits the environment www.heat-maxx.com

Safety first always!

The Heat-Maxx wood stove heat reclaimer eliminates the single most dangerous issue that exist in all other wood stove heat reclaimers. It’s patented continuous open flu design uses vertical heat exchangers which eliminate cold air stalls in exhaust pipes caused by all other heat reclaimers using horizontal heat exchanger tubes that also create excessive creosote buildup.
Heat-Maxx is the only wood stove heat reclaimer that does not alter the existing operating draft or temperature of wood stove exhaust pipe systems.

What it does
  • Up to 40% reduction in wood consumption saving you time, labor, and money
  • Produces 500-600 plus degrees of hot air, that’s equivalent to 4-5 home furnace registers
  • Made in a standard 24 inch length for quick no cut installation and easy cleaning
  • Sleek profile and design allows your wood stove be a focal point of beauty, the wife will love it!
  • Quiet high output 250 CFM fan
  • Reduces CO2 emissions
  • Only wood stove heat reclaimer that does not change exhaust pipe draft or temperaturePost 1.jpg

My apologies, the Magic Heat unit and all other heat reclaimers uses horizontal heat exchangers (the silver tubes) these cause cold stales when exhaust hits them changing the temp and causing creosote to develop. Heat-Maxx is designed with a vertical heat exchangers. The continuous open design allows particles to be combusted an minimizes creosote buildup. Thanks Ray

"Heat-Maxx is the only wood stove heat reclaimer that does not alter the existing operating draft or temperature of wood stove exhaust pipe systems."

This ought to raise red flags in anyone who understands even the basics of thermodynamics. How does this perform the magic of extracting heat from the exhaust flow without lowering its temperature?

"Heat-Maxx is the only wood stove heat reclaimer that does not alter the existing operating draft or temperature of wood stove exhaust pipe systems."

This ought to raise red flags in anyone who understands even the basics of thermodynamics. How does this perform the magic of extracting heat from the exhaust flow without lowering its temperature
In pic one: if the basics of thermodynamics are understood and the exhaust is operating at 650 degrees what is the ballpark temperature of the back of the unit? If you say a low temperature of say 100 degrees wouldn’t you agree there should also be a tremendous buildup of creosote in the exhaust of the unit? Heat-Maxx doesn’t do that.

The 2nd pic is the Heat-Maxx unit just warming up.

Pic 3: Heat-Maxx after a full season of use without being cleaned. September of 2020 to end of May 2021. 5 full months of low burn conditions meaning one or two logs for feeding the box stove. I burned clean ash and silver maple averaging 12-15% moisture levels. I’m sure you know silver maple tends to burn a very black sticky smoke. There is buildup of course but nothing even close that stopped the stove from operating any different than when it was installed. There is no tremendous buildup of creosote.

Pic 4 is a brand new Magic-Heat used for one month on low burn conditions same wood supply and what I would consider over cleaning the heat exchangers by raking them in the morning and evening. I’m not positive on their recommended daily cleaning requirements but by the end of the month it was completely locked up.

Heat-Maxx Box temp.jpg

20210117_195725.jpg
Heat-Maxx one season.jpg
Magic Heat Clog.jpg

"...if the basics of thermodynamics are understood and the exhaust is operating at 650 degrees what is the ballpark temperature of the back of the unit?"

That's actually quite simple to answer. If the exhaust is operating at 650 degrees (or any temperature) and the 'Heat Maxx' does 'not alter the operating temperature of the stove exhaust', the thermal efficiency of the Heat Maxx has to be zero. If there is stated to be no change in the exhaust gas temperature, there can be no heat extracted from it and the temperature of the exchanger output has to be room temperature. If it is not--then the temperature of the stove exhaust has to drop when going through the heat exchanger; where else can the heat that it 'extracts'--a key word here--come from?

I didn't make the claim, I'm only reacting to it. It has to be a false claim by the First Law of Thermodynamics.

You also I expect are fully aware that creosote deposition in stove chimneys has many variables beyond adding a heat exchanger. This device will certainly extract heat from the exhaust flow--but it will NOT do it with no drop in temperature of that flow.

If it doesn't drop exhaust temperature below that at which creosote will start to deposit before it gets out of the chimney, it is a useable device; I'm not arguing that. But it cannot be presented as a perpetual motion machine; it WILL drop the temperature of the exhaust flow as it extracts thermal energy from it.

It will work fine for a lot of installations, but it would be wise to simply remove the claim that it doesn't drop the temperature of the exhaust. There will be some installations beyond your control in which it will increase creosote deposition; don't set yourself up for litigation if someone's tall chimney catches fire after installing one of these because it dropped the exhaust temperature enough to introduce a problem that wasn't there before it was added. Because if it extracts heat from the exhaust--which it will, that's what it was designed for--it WILL drop the temperature of that exhaust.

I appreciate the thoughtfulness and input. I will ask the patent attorneys as they were part of the engineering process. I do agree with you it needs to be rephrased and thanks for that. Yes there are applications that it does not work with, it truly works best with free standing and box type wood burning stoves. We are also developing a model for tent camping stoves.

"...if the basics of thermodynamics are understood and the exhaust is operating at 650 degrees what is the ballpark temperature of the back of the unit?"

That's actually quite simple to answer. If the exhaust is operating at 650 degrees (or any temperature) and the 'Heat Maxx' does 'not alter the operating temperature of the stove exhaust', the thermal efficiency of the Heat Maxx has to be zero. If there is stated to be no change in the exhaust gas temperature, there can be no heat extracted from it and the temperature of the exchanger output has to be room temperature. If it is not--then the temperature of the stove exhaust has to drop when going through the heat exchanger; where else can the heat that it 'extracts'--a key word here--come from?

I didn't make the claim, I'm only reacting to it. It has to be a false claim by the First Law of Thermodynamics.

You also I expect are fully aware that creosote deposition in stove chimneys has many variables beyond adding a heat exchanger. This device will certainly extract heat from the exhaust flow--but it will NOT do it with no drop in temperature of that flow.

If it doesn't drop exhaust temperature below that at which creosote will start to deposit before it gets out of the chimney, it is a useable device; I'm not arguing that. But it cannot be presented as a perpetual motion machine; it WILL drop the temperature of the exhaust flow as it extracts thermal energy from it.

It will work fine for a lot of installations, but it would be wise to simply remove the claim that it doesn't drop the temperature of the exhaust. There will be some installations beyond your control in which it will increase creosote deposition; don't set yourself up for litigation if someone's tall chimney catches fire after installing one of these because it dropped the exhaust temperature enough to introduce a problem that wasn't there before it was added. Because if it extracts heat from the exhaust--which it will, that's what it was designed for--it WILL drop the temperature of that exhaust.
If you burn wood at all on a stove like that I'd be happy to send you a unit at no charge of course. 6 inch flue with the crimp down. Have a blessed day. Ray

Thanks Ray that is a kind offer, but in the house we are presently building we will have a tall chimney in a cold climate, and keeping stack temperatures high enough to prevent the exhaust from dropping below the dew point is going to be touchy enough, I don't think we could use it. I don't use one in the present house which also has vaulted ceilings but not nearly as high as in the new house, and I feel it's just at limits here in a warmer but moister Canadian climate than the new one, I get about half a cupful of creosote a year in just the top foot or so--which I consider to be just right. Attached is a photo of the new house, with chimney already installed above the roof, where I think it would definitely cause a stack condensation problem; winter temperatures will get to -40 at this site. This should explain why I reacted initially the way I did, it was not intended to denigrate your product but to point out the impossible and possibly dangerous statement--that plus my familiarity with the laws of thermodynamics.

Attachments

• 20230930_101217_000.jpeg
    20230930_101217_000.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
I maybe should add a cautionary warning that it will be a rare patent attorney who has had any courses in thermodynamics--but every stove chimney on which the Heat Maxx, or any heat recovery device, is installed WILL follow those laws.

What a beautiful place and yes sir that is a long pull. I see exactly what you're saying. And thank you, any and all input on our product and industry is truly appreciated and I will definitely be adjusting wording to better suit its performance. Thanks again Ray

Latest posts

Back