Installing brass base gasket, Moto Seal or something else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditt007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
To get squish right I made a .007" brass base gasket. I was going to put an extremely light coat of Permatex Moto seal on both sides when installing. I wish I knew what product that the factory steel gaskets have on them, that is a light rubberized coating. However, it looks like I'm stuck with a sealant of some sort. I was also thinking of the permatex aviation anaerobic sealer, or even the spray copper coat used on headgaskets. Not sure what my best bet would be. I've used moto seal on machined to machined surfaces with no problems, so I doubt I need to go to the anaerobic stuff, but it think the fit is plenty tight, that it would work also. How have you installed raw metal gaskets before and how has it worked out?

I presume you are US based? If you can obtain a product called Wellseal that is the way to go, as it was developed by Rolls Royce for the metal shim gaskets used on Merlin & Griffon aero engines.

Back