Installing Cambium savers from the ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a tricky one to learn, but easy to master. Hopefgully someone has a pic to better explain but I'll take a stab at it.

throwline is over the branch

untie the bag/ball thread the line through the small eye of the cambium saver and tie the bag/ball back on.

take the other end of the throwline and thread it through the large eye of the cambium saver.

that is basically it, hoist it up with the free end of the throwline, the throwbag/ball will flip over the limb and the line will be returned to you going through both eyes of the CS.

install your line as you normally would and you are good to go

All I would add is to put your throwline/bag through the large eye first

Then get throwline into the tree

Then follow what OTG Boston has described

This just saves pulling all the loose line out of your bag to find the other end!

Could i not run the line through the big ring before setting the line in the tree because it would be easer to pull out 30' to send up with that through the ring than sending it up and unpacking 100' of line to feed through the big ring.

Thanks guys i'll give it a go. I'll try to get up early and set a line 6' in the sycamore next to my house if that works i'll go for 15' in the London Planes down the street. If that works and i still have my cam saver and throwline i'll go and try it in the ancient woodland and try and set a 30-40' line.

Great info on setting, but also practice retrieving. You will need to tie a knot in end of life line that passes thru large ring first and catches on small ring to pull from tree. Very frustrating to pull wrong end to retrieve. Been there, done that.

Been practicing retriving as well. I've always seen them retrived with a figure of eight but that won't go through the big eye of my saver so i use an overhand knot. So glad i foumd tjat out when it was only 10' up.

remove large ring n replace with small locking carabiner:givebeer:

#1 i throw the throwbll and line over branch right over left. i use 1 over hand slip knot to attach throw line 2 ball for easy removal. #2 take modified saver using small stock ring remove throwball put throw line threw ring from top 2 bottom install bag with same knot as above leaving long tail dress very tightly #3 clip small oval carabiner on right side of throwline #4 pull throwline under biner just before biner reaches branch give fast pull this setts saver over branch and throw line and ball fall 2 ground line is also threw both ring n biner on saver #5 remove throwball and attach climbing line only with eye splice i use 2 half hitches 2 make sure it does not come off. now pull throwline out and rope will replace throw line. saver can be removed from ground also. if no spliced eye take 3ft of ur climbing line make hard bend/bight n tie clove so there is no knot in climbing line:rockn:

(WLL) said:
#1 i throw the throwbll and line over branch right over left. i use 1 over hand slip knot to attach throw line 2 ball for easy removal. #2 take modified saver using small stock ring remove throwball put throw line threw ring from top 2 bottom install bag with same knot as above leaving long tail dress very tightly #3 clip small oval carabiner on right side of throwline #4 pull throwline under biner just before biner reaches branch give fast pull this setts saver over branch and throw line and ball fall 2 ground line is also threw both ring n biner on saver #5 remove throwball and attach climbing line only with eye splice i use 2 half hitches 2 make sure it does not come off. now pull throwline out and rope will replace throw line. saver can be removed from ground also. if no spliced eye take 3ft of ur climbing line make hard bend/bight n tie clove so there is no knot in climbing line:rockn:

can you remove it the same way you normally would from the ground, after you have replaced the large ring?

OTG BOSTON said:
can you remove it the same way you normally would from the ground, after you have replaced the large ring?
ABSOLUTELY:bowdown:

home made saver

tenex core with nylon cover:clap:

(WLL) said:
remove large ring n replace with small locking carabiner:givebeer:

Why is that any better than the large ring?
... is it because now you can reposition the saver while up the tree if you need to?

Last edited:
thats a stupid question

but the answer is because u cant open a ring:taped:

Better Idea

(WLL);534487if no spliced eye take 3ft of ur climbing line make hard bend/bight n tie clove so there is no knot in climbing line:rockn:[/QUOTE said:
Here's a way that makes pulling your rope through a crotch or thru a tight pulley a whole lot easier. Install a loop in the end of your climbing line using nylon cord from the hardware store. You can attach your pulling line/throw line to the loop with a sheet bend, a bullet-proof attachment that will not come loose.

To install loop in line:

1. Fold a foot or so of cord in half and tie overhand knot in the doubled line. Trim off the ends.
2. Pull about 4 inches of core out of the rope and cut off. Milk the remaining core back into the rope, leaving 4-inch hollow at rope end.
3. Using some wire, a fid, some thread, or any trick that works, insert your loop knot-first into the hollow rope end.
3. Apply whipping from rope end up to the knot.
4. Melt the loose end fibers of the rope to give it a tight conical shape.
5. Done!

First thing I do when I get a new rope is splice an eye in one end, and install a pull loop in the other. Works great!:rockn:

Why is that any better than the large ring?
is it because now you can reposition the saver while up the tree if you need to?

but the answer is because u cant open a ring:taped:

SOOOrrry!!
I thought there were no stupid questions only stupid answers! If I want to know, I want to know!
Forgive my ignorance, so when do YOU need to open the crab? It's always been put it up, climb, cut, come down, pull down the saver, two rings.
Elighten me intelligent one,for those who have not yet had exposure to this novel idea.

Back