Installing Fastach FS-500 Tach on Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striderzz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been prepping my saw for the arrival of a DP muffler cover so when it arrives I am ready to install, tune and get to cutting. So I thought I would share how I installed my tach to help any others. I already posted how I removed my limiter caps here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/242521.htm

First things first, I ordered a tach (as recommended from a thread on this site) from here:
STS-5000/Fastach | Products by Type - Global Digtial Instruments (GDI)

The instructions say to wrap the wire around the spark plug cable three times. Looking at the location of the wire, I thought that wrapping and taping the wire down would be too bulky and might rub with all the vibrations. So I tied the lead wire into a clove hitch and slipped it onto the wire.

rvM8Ao4.jpg

Slipped it over the boot and tightened it up with a pair of pliers.

KtRHyqv.jpg

Then re-installed the the spark plug boot with wire attached.

AhRFwU9.jpg

Then routed the wire to the top of the cover. Used alcohol to clean all the surfaces and applied some Velcro strips so I wouldn't have to screw the tach into the cover.

81Eofam.jpg

Voila!

q98Fu0Y.jpg

I also took some left-over wire and installed it onto my Husky saw using the same method. I then stuffed the wire into the Husky chassis so it stays out of the way and added Velcro strips to the top. Now I can easily take the tach off my Stihl and put it onto the Husky with no extra effort.

Time will tell if the Velcro holds up and if the clove hitch secures the lead wire to the spark plug enough. I am also a little disappointed with the lag on the tach, it is not the quickest to refresh the reading but otherwise works great so far.

Now to patiently wait for the DP cover to arrive. Hopefully in about a week it will get here from Baily's and I can be done with the project.

Cheers
-n

Latest posts

Back