Insulating OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builder1101

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
is this simliar to what CB uses? i think my buddy said his is 1" thick? maybe a bit over? not sure, can a CB user here confirm?

just curious if this stuff will hold up to constant 200+F temps...

a heatmor dealer near detroit said he's been having calls of peoples CB's sprayfoam oozing and loosing it's adhersion to the waterjacke, all of them after the warrenty has expired.. Anyone have issues like that?

just curious

http://www.fomofoam.com/

if it's water tight and air tight, i figured i'd blast it heavy on the outside, then skin it.

uhhh..
i'm retarded...

"cure foam is resistant to heat and cold, -200 to +200 and to aging but not UV rays unless painted, covered or coated"

Ha. I'm just not wanting to make a tin skin over my tank, so i guess i'll just spray it thick and paint it camo.....

almost a pointless post, but am curious if any CB users have had their foam pulling away from the waterjacket...

No problems with my CB CL5036 - the insulation is easy to get to behind the access panel.

By the way - the warranty on my unit is 25 years, if I start seeing insulation crap out at even 15 years you won't hear me complain.

Shed it

How about putting your new stove under some sort of shed to keep the sun off of her? I'm going to get the guy that sprayed me home to spray the stove and line-set all the same time.

Here in NC there have been numerous cos. get into and out of building OWB. Some used a spray urethane and exposing them to the UV's, etc. is not good at all to the insulation package. Fiberglass is great if the unit is very well sealed and water-tight.

As far as fiberglass insulation goes once it is water logged you're screwed.

at the moment trying to do an econo build....

figured if i get the tank insulated, airtight and water tight, then paint it with uv resistant paint, as the PDF says, that should get me by for another year to get a building up.

$360 buys enough to coat it almost 2.5" thick....all the way around...

Any chance of the spray foam holding moisture against the steel and accelerating rust? Just a thought.

Any chance of the spray foam holding moisture against the steel and accelerating rust? Just a thought.

Your're right, I modified a Taylor 450 and I had to take off the metal panels and the foam to do some welding and the metal was rusted pretty bad. I used a grinder with a wire brush and cleaned the metal good and primed it with a rusty primer and painted it. Then I insulated it with fiberglass bats and relined it. Alot of the foam was loose, I think the foam came loose by the metal expanding and contracting and then it allow the metal to sweat. Metal is going to move around when it's being heated. Unless they make a foam that is flexible I think the manufactures are going to have a problem with the foam pulling loose from the metal tank.

Application

The spray foam kits that are available to self-apply the foam versus having a company come out and spray your OWB IMO are very different.

Companies that are using batt insulation over spray foam are doing so I think due to the cost of getting into spray insulation.

Most manufactured OWBs are covered in a weather tight metal shell. The roof on my OWB gets covered with snow - good sign of the effectiveness of the insulation.

not talkinga bout covering the owb, we're talking about the moisture that is between the foam insulation and the steel water jacket.

I thought sandblasting the innards of this tank when i open it up, along with the outside, then some heavy primer and paint for a save measure.

not talkinga bout covering the owb, we're talking about the moisture that is between the foam insulation and the steel water jacket.

I see, thanks for clarifying. I can't imagine digging through the metal shell and insulation to deal with that - I am hoping that CB issues their 25 year warranty based on a design that works some kind of magic :)

i highly doubt it'll sweat....

with such high temps, any moisture will drive it's way outwards....

how often you see a hot water heater sweat?
how often yo usee a well pump tank sweat?

i think you'll have problems if it's super warm outside, and the water is cold, but, sounds unlikely in my situation as i burn year around.

I have never seen a need for a hot water heater... :jester:

DUDE! The last time I took a cold shower I decided that would be the last time I took a cold shower (well water at whatever temp it is 805 ft below the surface).

Cold showers separate the men from the boys (and turn the men into boys for a little while afterward).

Back