Insurance for one person, tree service business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondnstream

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

My young friend who has been working for a tree company for three years has recently been doing freelance work. Several clients have told him he can have the work but only if he gets insurance (workman's comp, liability, disability? ) . So he is now reluctantly shopping around and trying to figure it all out.

Are there any insurance companies that cater to the tree-trimming trade and are perhaps more favorable than the average insurer?
The location is NY, NJ, CT .
What is a ballpark figure that he should expect to pay for a years worth of coverage ?

Thanks a lot .

Don't know if they cover the other states you're looking at, but Dryden Mutual might be an option, under the landscaping class code. They don't have any height limitation. You're probably looking at between 1-2k per year just in General Liability Insurance.

I'm in a very similar situation...the large tree company I was working for closed up shop, so I took over a few clients as a part time job. I purchased a two million dollar general liability policy for myself through a Payne West branch, costs $1400 a year, paid monthly. Hire a smart bookkeeper and he'll be in good hands.

Latest posts

Back