Insurance Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pay my money grubbing, back stabbing, SOB insurance people $2700 per year for $1,000,000 in general liability alone. Now those POS' are trying to get me for another $180 because I don't keep my equipment at my house.

P.S. I am currently looking into getting a different carrier.

Brett, you are including payroll in that, I assume. My rates went up 21%) this year, as did most all insurance costs, I think- directly related to 9/11 and other major casualty losses.

I pay $4800 base rate, that is appx half for one truck/chipper, the rest general liability and equipment. It is based on 34000/yr payroll. 17000 of that is considered my owner's salary. This goes up by about $75 per additional $1000 of paid payroll.

Knock on wood, I have never turned in a claim, or been involved in one (when I was an employee) in 30 yrs of tree work. It seems, every few years, we've had something happen that costs over $300 to repair, but I'd rather pay it out of pocket than have a mark on the company record. Worst was the $700 to fix a roof. I was routinely chunking down a small fir in 4-5 foot long pieces, and thinking ahead to the next piece or where I was going to stop (making a droppable, saleable log) . I had my hand on the wood in the wrong place and cut through sloppily. It fell sideways out of my grip onto the roof, and separated enough of it to require that a fairly large section on 3 tab be removed in order to replace two plywood sheets. Customer's wife was inside and rather surprised by the crash. Happened two blocks from home, lots of good customer's in the area, but even my customer was not too displeased- lucky me. A friend had it fixed the next day.

Nope. That's just the liability premium. Total payroll last year was around $140,000.

Brett,

Man that is high! I'd be at about 11,500 with that much payroll. + 2400 for the equipment. Plus your workman's comp is probably several times higher than in Wa. Makes me glad to be out here, it is easy for me to have a 50% profit margin before my own "wages". Nice to be small and be hands on most every job too.

Dan, Who is your carrier? Better yet, who is your agent. Best I've found locally is $1000 for $300,000 (does include some equipment though).

I just read in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Sunday, Real Estate section) that Wisconsin sees the lowest consumer insurance rates of the country. On the other side of the page, it said we, like everyone else, will be seeing increases.

Some of the increases in premiums are related to the crisis in NYC, but remember, they need a scapegoat for that. The reality is that they lost a lot of money in the stock market collapse and are preparing to lose more down the road.

For us, we paid everyone's health insurance premium completely for years and years, but the $30,000 increase this year was too much. Unfortunately, we had to pass some on to the employees. I hope this doesn't continue, but you have to stay in business!

Nickrosis

I am running my business out of Manitoba, Canada and I am paying $450 Canadian dollars for $2,000,000 liability. Keeping in mind that this doesn't include equipment theft.........

Either way one looks at it, I am getting great insurence rates!

Shane Freeman
Total Tree Care & Consulting
[email protected]

But Nick is talking about employee health bennies. His Dad's people only had to pay deductables and copays before, now they need to pay part of the premium too.

Latest posts

Back