Intertwined trees in Costa Rica.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scodtt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got three trees intertwined about 35 feet up on my property in Costa Rica.

No way to get a Cherry Picker or even a truck there. Any tips about how to cut these from the ground as safely as possible?

1000009193.jpg

Here's another view, showing what a pretzel it is up high. I want to take all three of these down, but I can't figure out which one I should try to get out first.

20231006_171659.jpg

With all due respect, Scott, read your post from our perspective. You are posting 2 pictures, asking us to give you advice on how to take down 3 entangled trees "as safely as possible." Are you willing to risk your life on advice given to you by strangers over the internet about a situation you acknowledge is dangerous and beyond your experience level? I am sure you would be able to find a pro in your area that would assume the risk and put them on the ground safely for $500.00 or less, letting you learn in the process. What's your insurance deductible? How much time can you afford to be off work?

With all due respect, Scott, read your post from our perspective. You are posting 2 pictures, asking us to give you advice on how to take down 3 entangled trees "as safely as possible." Are you willing to risk your life on advice given to you by strangers over the internet about a situation you acknowledge is dangerous and beyond your experience level? I am sure you would be able to find a pro in your area that would assume the risk and put them on the ground safely for $500.00 or less, letting you learn in the process. What's your insurance deductible? How much time can you afford to be off work?
Thanks for your comment.

Have you been to Costa Rica? I can probably find someone willing to do it, but they won't have advanced equipment or training. I'd rather do it as safely as I can instead of risking someone else's safety.

Is it possible to cut the smallest one in the direction of it's lean (it will hang up), and then pull it out in the opposite direction by its base (using a winch or tractor, even a come-along if there is no other option)? I'm sure that would not be easy, or quick, but it should be pretty safe if you never have to get under it. Not sure if that would work because pictures are never good enough.

Is it possible to cut the smallest one in the direction of it's lean (it will hang up), and then pull it out in the opposite direction by its base (using a winch or tractor, even a come-along if there is no other option)? I'm sure that would not be easy, or quick, but it should be pretty safe if you never have to get under it. Not sure if that would work because pictures are never good enough.
There's no electricity there and no road, so it would have to be a come-along, which I do have.

I know the photos can never really do it.

I appreciate your response.

Would you also recommend using a rope as high as I can get it on the smallest one to keep it going the direction I want it to go?

I agree with Jolly...that by asking for the safest approach...you are asking too much for the internet.

I suggest, what you might get here are 3 or 6 or .... "approaches" to limb-locked and hung-up trees. Then, you sort through the approaches and start cutting.

It is good that you already know...limb-locked trees are an elevated-risk deal.

You also know several approaches already. Bucket truck, long rope attached to a truck.

Uni, in the previous post, provided another one.

Here is one: if all three trees are only limb-locked to each other (and, not locked to trees you don't want to cut): cripple two of the trees and fall the third. The third tree pops the crippled strap wood on the other two, and they all come down together.

There are a bunch of other options!

Roy

Thanks for your comment.

Have you been to Costa Rica? I can probably find someone willing to do it, but they won't have advanced equipment or training. I'd rather do it as safely as I can instead of risking someone else's safety.
I wouldn't consider a chainsaw and a rope advanced tools... as far as experience? You're in the middle of a rain forest, man. I promise you there are guys there with experience.

I wouldn't consider a chainsaw and a rope advanced tools... as far as experience? You're in the middle of a rain forest, man. I promise you there are guys there with experience.
There are guys with experience, and they would be happy for the work, but the culture here is that they take risks that I'm not comfortable with.

I agree with Jolly...that by asking for the safest approach...you are asking too much for the internet.

I suggest, what you might get here are 3 or 6 or .... "approaches" to limb-locked and hung-up trees. Then, you sort through the approaches and start cutting.

It is good that you already know...limb-locked trees are an elevated-risk deal.

You also know several approaches already. Bucket truck, long rope attached to a truck.

Uni, in the previous post, provided another one.

Here is one: if all three trees are only limb-locked to each other (and, not locked to trees you don't want to cut): cripple two of the trees and fall the third. The third tree pops the crippled strap wood on the other two, and they all come down together.

There are a bunch of other options!

Roy
I do understand that "the internet" is not going to solve this perfectly. I'm just looking for other ideas, and the idea of partially cutting the two smaller ones and then cutting the biggest one is an idea I hadn't considered. I'll walk around the site again today and think about that.

Thanks!

Any other ideas?

There are guys with experience, and they would be happy for the work, but the culture here is that they take risks that I'm not comfortable with.
And yet you are considering domino felling these trees... a technique you just heard about from a stranger on the internet, and have never seen done. A technique which incidentally is specifically proscribed by every regulatory agency I know of. And yet you are concerned about the risks a local professional might take. Generally speaking in this industry, the advice you like least is the advice you should listen to.

And yet you are considering domino felling these trees... a technique you just heard about from a stranger on the internet, and have never seen done. A technique which incidentally is specifically proscribed by every regulatory agency I know of. And yet you are concerned about the risks a local professional might take. Generally speaking in this industry, the advice you like least is the advice you should listen to.

I agree that does seem really risky, but there's that expression about sometimes the bad idea is the one that sparks the good idea. At this point it's all just ideas.

other then cutting them individually and winching them down, or climbing and cutting out the locked limbs.
Take a gander at them and see if they are all more or less leaning the same direction, or at the very least away from the bigger of the tree.
cripple the to little ones, then send the biggin through like a hammer
I'm not normally a proponent of "domino" falling, however, this is a situation where it is possibly the safest method to take, and its far from safe.
just leave hold wood on the little guys and have very very good escape paths for each tree.

other then cutting them individually and winching them down, or climbing and cutting out the locked limbs.
Take a gander at them and see if they are all more or less leaning the same direction, or at the very least away from the bigger of the tree.
cripple the to little ones, then send the biggin through like a hammer
I'm not normally a proponent of "domino" falling, however, this is a situation where it is possibly the safest method to take, and its far from safe.
just leave hold wood on the little guys and have very very good escape paths for each tree.
I totally agree with you, North, I just hate giving that advice in the homeowner helper forum... We both know how fast that can go south...

And yet you are considering domino felling these trees... A technique which incidentally is specifically proscribed by every regulatory agency I know of.

FWIW, falling multiple limb-locked tress in a cluster is part of the program for US wildland fire advanced saw operations.

I am not really suggesting the OP follow any particular cutting plan...but, that he collect a range of options and decide which he is most comfortable with.

Roy

FWIW, falling multiple limb-locked tress in a cluster is part of the program for US wildland fire advanced saw operations.

I am not really suggesting the OP follow any particular cutting plan...but, that he collect a range of options and decide which he is most comfortable with.

Roy
Yes, advanced saw operations

Would you also recommend using a rope as high as I can get it on the smallest one to keep it going the direction I want it to go?
From the photos I would say probably not. If it is going to hang up right away then it will not likely be very directable with a rope. If you conclude differently, and you have someone you trust to be the rope man, then by all means try it.

Back