Intro time Paws out, Coalsmoke in.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A year ago when I found this site I never really introduced myself, in fact I didn't plan on sticking around too long, just came for a bit of information on a chainsaw problem. But, I seem to find myself back here on a regular basis, sort of like an online home, so I figured a quick intro might be in order. No obligation to read it of course, but if you're interested its here all the same.

You will have known me as Paws on here, I'm not sure how it happened, but my name was already set up the first time I came over here. I suspect it is from a different community board that uses the same software and had my account info on there on file. Anyways, that name is long since dead, hence the reason for the name change.

I live in South west British Columbia, and have spent some time in the forestry industry, first as a limber, bucker, and faller on the ground crew, and then as a heavy equipment operator. For a number of years I've had an alaskan style chainsaw mill. Recently, I built myself a carriage style chainsaw sawmill with some of my own design elements in it. Otherwise, it looks very much like a Procut mill. For a few years while going to university (Ba in Criminal Justice), I owned and operated a small metal fabrication and mobile welding business. So, if anyone has questions related to welding or metal I'd be happy to be of help. Once out of school, I ran the welding business for another year, until I could see the writing on the wall for our economy. At that point I closed my business, which is something I had been thinking of regardless. From there I went into law enforcement, and once I was in far enough to get a taste for the life of a cop, I realized it is not for me, so I resigned from them (as a person in good standing of course).

So, last fall that left me without a job, in a bad economy without work. Only thing to do was to find the work. So, my fiancee and I started our own earthworks business, focusing on landscape construction. Me being technical and experienced with equipment, and her being creative, we tend to make a great combination. Our customer base has been growing and so I recently built a carriage style CSM and started selling rough cut lumber as a subsidiary to the earthworks company. Business has been growing, and today we are expecting delivery of our first bandsaw mill, an almost new Lumbermate 2000 with the 20HP Honda.

Anyways, that's the 60 second biography. It's been good getting to know some of the members here, like a nice big happy dysfunctional family :)

I'm new to AS and especially to the Milling forum, but it was great to read your history. Sounds like you've got lots of experience in multiple areas. I wish you and your fiancee the best in your new business enterprise.

I look forward to reading more about what you and others write here in the Milling forum. I'm in awe of what I see people can do. I can't wait for the day I have the space to try my hand at some of this. :)

A year ago when I found this site I never really introduced myself, in fact I didn't plan on sticking around too long, just came for a bit of information on a chainsaw problem. But, I seem to find myself back here on a regular basis, sort of like an online home, so I figured a quick intro might be in order. No obligation to read it of course, but if you're interested its here all the same.

You will have known me as Paws on here, I'm not sure how it happened, but my name was already set up the first time I came over here. I suspect it is from a different community board that uses the same software and had my account info on there on file. Anyways, that name is long since dead, hence the reason for the name change.

I live in South west British Columbia, and have spent some time in the forestry industry, first as a limber, bucker, and faller on the ground crew, and then as a heavy equipment operator. For a number of years I've had an alaskan style chainsaw mill. Recently, I built myself a carriage style chainsaw sawmill with some of my own design elements in it. Otherwise, it looks very much like a Procut mill. For a few years while going to university (Ba in Criminal Justice), I owned and operated a small metal fabrication and mobile welding business. So, if anyone has questions related to welding or metal I'd be happy to be of help. Once out of school, I ran the welding business for another year, until I could see the writing on the wall for our economy. At that point I closed my business, which is something I had been thinking of regardless. From there I went into law enforcement, and once I was in far enough to get a taste for the life of a cop, I realized it is not for me, so I resigned from them (as a person in good standing of course).

So, last fall that left me without a job, in a bad economy without work. Only thing to do was to find the work. So, my fiancee and I started our own earthworks business, focusing on landscape construction. Me being technical and experienced with equipment, and her being creative, we tend to make a great combination. Our customer base has been growing and so I recently built a carriage style CSM and started selling rough cut lumber as a subsidiary to the earthworks company. Business has been growing, and today we are expecting delivery of our first bandsaw mill, an almost new Lumbermate 2000 with the 20HP Honda.

Anyways, that's the 60 second biography. It's been good getting to know some of the members here, like a nice big happy dysfunctional family :)

Welcome aboard!!!

However, since you were late on the intro/bio....there is a $1,000 US fine. Just send it payable to me.

Keep posting!!! :cheers:

Kevin

Thanks for the intro, I'm guessing those are your ads on the Abbotsford Craigslist?

We'll have some fir cants to re-saw a year from now, I might be able to send some business your way. What sizes of machines do you have for earthmoving?

I'm new to AS and especially to the Milling forum, but it was great to read your history. Sounds like you've got lots of experience in multiple areas. I wish you and your fiancee the best in your new business enterprise.

I look forward to reading more about what you and others write here in the Milling forum. I'm in awe of what I see people can do. I can't wait for the day I have the space to try my hand at some of this. :)

Welcome, however my bio is so confidential I would have to kill.

Don't make me do that...today.....:cheers:

Kevin

Thanks guys. Deeker, I'll send you a rubber cheque for 5,000, just send me the change via western union money order :D

Kicker, I have the fraser valley add for the rough cut lumber, there is another person on the vancouver one. I own some of the smaller equipment and rent just about whatever large pieces I need. Letting someone else take care of the depreciation and maintenance costs on a $200,000 excavator works well for me in these lean times. Eventually as our equity grows we'll be buying into something like a cat 308, and a hitachi ex200 or 270 or cat 325, and the appropriate tri-axle to haul them.

Back