irrigation system going in next door...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity Honoria

Reaction score
OK, i leave for a week of training, and come back to discover a 'sprinkler system' is going in next door... since i have huge trees, the lots aren't all that wide, i will assume the pecan roots are over or close to the other yard...

what do i need to watch for? will the digging of the nearby yard have a possible negative impact on my trees? i am not complaining (can't tell others what to do in their yard) but i simply want to know what to observe on my own ground so i can 'nip problems in the bud...'

Yes your roots are cut, yes you need to do something. Weed, feed and mulch the roots that have not been cut by the irrigation trenches, to make up for the roots that they cut. Make sense yet?

Yes you can't tell people what to do with their yard UNTIL it destroys what is in your yard. They are entitled to reasonable use of their land, but trenching your trees' roots in midsummer is destuctive.

You say you are Feisty by Nature, but after reading that Joe Bob has bombed logs 6" from your home, and now the trenching without a peep, it sounds more like Compliant by Nature. This architect idiot is building a big display garden across the street, at your expense.

Where is Neo when you need him?

ok, you trying to egg me on??? :)

i can raise hell, but i still need to live here.

found out before i left town the architect has sold the house, and the new owner is now in charge... an absentee owner, who is preparing the house for his son who will go to college across the street.

your advice received, acknowledged, and will be put into play... should i hop right to it, before the irrigation is installed? at this point, the kids reported just bulldozer-like equipment came to smooth out the yard... can't see any indication yet of trenching...

this whole thing puzzles me... our front yards are the size of postage stamps... can't anyone haul a hose around anymore???

i will change my sig line so you will no longer feel i am flying under false colors... OK???

Trinity, the Pushover
:eek: ;) :eek:

Yes, you should weed and mulch the undamaged roots. No offense on the pushover part, but whenever you can meet the new owner it may be worth mentioning your concerns, along with a welcome to the neighborhood. See what they are planning to plant near your border, just so you know.

the new owner is business associate of the architect-- he's been to the house once, not returning until son moves in (if then)... he doesn't live around here.

interesting thing (to me) is the back yard is a disaster, and haven't even touched that... big tree that a huge branch fell onto a dog pen in my yard durning an ice storm when original owner was there 4 years ago (nice lady in a nursing home now)... not sure how stable that tree is, and that hasn't even been touched...

ok, will do all the mulching, etc... when my arborist shows up, will get the specifics on it when he's onsite...

Trinity, seeking peace while living near tree barbarians

Local Arborist evaluates my tree...

the one arborist i trust in the area is working into retirement... his new partner just came & looked over the pecan, my dogwoods, and the crab apple tree... he gave me advice on how to trim the deadwood on the dogwoods, advised i rake the mulch away from the base of the pecans, and this winter, i'll call him to come back for a major job on the crabapple... it's in the far back yard and i was remiss to notice how little it's produced leaves this year... so TJ will come back and help it get healthy...

As always, thanks for your patience & advice...

Trinity Honoria said:
a huge branch fell onto a dog pen in my yard durning an ice storm when original owner was there 4 years ago (nice lady in a nursing home now)... not sure how stable that tree is, and that hasn't even been touched...
not surprising to hear they had Joe Bob take downthe healthy trees while ignoring the damaged ones. :rolleyes:

as you know, pictures say a lot here.

what did your arbo say about the effects on your trees from sudden exposure and trenching?

treeseer said:
what did your arbo say about the effects on your trees from sudden exposure and trenching?

he looked at the pecan that got whacked, felt it didn't sustain injury... believes the pecan near the irrigation should be safe with the distance ... not my problem, but he predicts the irrigation will kill a dogwood on that property...

he felt my dogwoods should be safe as well... endorsed your advice re: mulch etc for the dogwoods...

and pointed out (which i should've known, with all the threads i read here...) that the leaves etc that we rake up to base of pecans are too high... so we will pull that away from base of pecans...

he practices like many of you here: one of his purposes was to leave me educated to why i needed to do or not do certain things... for cutting off the dead branches on the dogwoods, he not only showed me on the trees where/how to cut, but drew pictures...

Trinity Honoria said:
he practices like many of you here: one of his purposes was to leave me educated to why i needed to do or not do certain things... for cutting off the dead branches on the dogwoods, he not only showed me on the trees where/how to cut, but drew pictures...
sounds like you have a good professional there. I'm no artist so I leave them ISA brochures on pruning, if they want to prune. $0.12 shows a lot. See Pruning Young Trees in the link below; you can download it for free.

Back