Bamboo removal impacting a large tree not owned by client

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDTS447

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've recently acquired a Virginia client who's requested a permanent solution to the neighbors bamboo growing in to her yard, a service I have done several times using a trencher, bamboo shield/barrier and either chemical treatment or excavation. This client wants the full package: dig up the entire site, (a 90'x20' area of the lawn at the back of the property to exhume all the rhizomes, trench the the entire rear fence line and install 30" bamboo shield before putting the yard back to the way it was.
There's a small problem: A 28" DBH American elm is about 4 feet on the other side of the fence at about the midpoint of the yard. It belongs to the neighbor and after doing a root zone impact survey, about 30% of the root zone will be impacted by the excavation. I've read a few different sources that point to not cutting more than about 15% of the roots but another arborist friend of mine pointed out to me that construction in housing developments have done far worse to trees that have recovered just fine.
Clients are unable to contact the neighbors (the house is unkempt but there do appear to be tenants/people living there).

2 questions:
1) Does the invasive nature of the bamboo give the client any recourse to protect their property at the cost of the neighbors tree should it be negatively impacted? (Not quite to this point but would be nice to have the answer if we exhaust other options).
2) Does 30% seem like too much of a loss for the tree to recover from even if dormant?

Either way, disclaimers abound in the contract. Would like to hear from more experienced arborists anything that I may be missing.

Some places have restrictions on bamboo, some don't. You'd need to check with your local authorities to see what recourse is available in your area.

Your customer definitely needs to try harder to contact the neighbor prior to impacting the root zone. You don't see too many 28" American Elms.

I occasionally consult with customers whose trees were impacted by the neighbor's gardening activities and it makes for a very uncomfortable situation.

Unless you're making great money on it, it may not be something you want to get involved with... Are there other ways to mitigate the spreading bamboo? What if you airspade the roots, cut the root barrier around them, and tear our the bamboo? I'm always looking for a good excuse to buy an airspade.

So I've recently acquired a Virginia client who's requested a permanent solution to the neighbors bamboo growing in to her yard, a service I have done several times using a trencher, bamboo shield/barrier and either chemical treatment or excavation. This client wants the full package: dig up the entire site, (a 90'x20' area of the lawn at the back of the property to exhume all the rhizomes, trench the the entire rear fence line and install 30" bamboo shield before putting the yard back to the way it was.
There's a small problem: A 28" DBH American elm is about 4 feet on the other side of the fence at about the midpoint of the yard. It belongs to the neighbor and after doing a root zone impact survey, about 30% of the root zone will be impacted by the excavation. I've read a few different sources that point to not cutting more than about 15% of the roots but another arborist friend of mine pointed out to me that construction in housing developments have done far worse to trees that have recovered just fine.
Clients are unable to contact the neighbors (the house is unkempt but there do appear to be tenants/people living there).

2 questions:
1) Does the invasive nature of the bamboo give the client any recourse to protect their property at the cost of the neighbors tree should it be negatively impacted? (Not quite to this point but would be nice to have the answer if we exhaust other options).
2) Does 30% seem like too much of a loss for the tree to recover from even if dormant?

Either way, disclaimers abound in the contract. Would like to hear from more experienced arborists anything that I may be missing.
I’m not a “proper” expert, but I work with tree roots doing Bonsai. They are remarkable resilient, but you’re right to be cautious. Can you do the work over two years? I know, it makes it hard. But removing 10% or 20% first time around, then allowing 12 months to recover, I’m confident you can remove another 10% or 20% the following year.

I do this with Bonsai...take off as much as you dare, wait 12 months, and repeat. The tree will form feeder roots and other root structures to ensure survival.

I’m not a “proper” expert, but I work with tree roots doing Bonsai. They are remarkable resilient, but you’re right to be cautious. Can you do the work over two years? I know, it makes it hard. But removing 10% or 20% first time around, then allowing 12 months to recover, I’m confident you can remove another 10% or 20% the following year.

I do this with Bonsai...take off as much as you dare, wait 12 months, and repeat. The tree will form feeder roots and other root structures to ensure survival.
The problem with that plan is the insanely aggressive growth rate of bamboo. No sense taking out 20% a year when it will double in size by next year... the math just doesn't work. Hopefully the neighbor recognizes their error in planting it in the first place and they can formulate an eradication plan on BOTH sides of the fence.

The problem with that plan is the insanely aggressive growth rate of bamboo. No sense taking out 20% a year when it will double in size by next year... the math just doesn't work. Hopefully the neighbor recognizes their error in planting it in the first place and they can formulate an eradication plan on BOTH sides of the fence.
I meant more for the elm...not wanting to impact its roots by 30%. But by doing some of the work, removing/damaging only some of the elms roots, then allowing it to recover before finishing.

I’m thinking clear the bamboo already grown, and dig the trench along the fence line only as far as the elm. That would affect ~15% of the elms roots. Then allow a year. Come back and dig the entire trench, clear any regrown bamboo, install the barrier. That will again affect ~15% of the elms roots.

I know what you’re saying with the bamboo. Can be horrible stuff if it finds an unrestricted area it likes.

Latest posts

Back