Is 125 pounds compresion enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robfromaz1977

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an old 266 SE Husky that I got 10 years ago from a friend who ran straight gas in and locked it up. I put a ring in it and made it live. Lately I have had some trouble keeping it running right. Just out of curiosity I decided to check the compresion and at best has 125 psi. Is this enough to run on or should I start looking into tearing it down and buying stuff? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the fast replys. Is 180+ a realistic achievable number? My other 266 has 150 psi on it.

I'm just messin' witcha, you probably won't see a stock saw with 180psi.

I was hoping so! :cheers: I am not new to running saws but am just getting interested in working on them. I have only been into one saw, my 266, past normal maintnance.

What altitude are you measuring the compression? Add roughly 3% to your reading for every 1000' elevation. If you are in Flagstaff, your compression adjusted for elevation is closer to 145 psi.

What altitude are you measuring the compression? Add roughly 3% to your reading for every 1000' elevation. If you are in Flagstaff, your compression adjusted for elevation is closer to 145 psi.

I live in Springerville and the elevation here is just a tad under 7000'. I do most of my wood cutting even higher up around 8500 to 9000'.

80lbs is when a saw will start not running. I just rebuilt a saw with 80 and it would run but wouldnt start easy and didnt always wanna idle. 120 is decent compression and Ive never had issues with saws that high. I think anything above that is good. I dont tink ive ever had a saw over 130 but Ive never thought about the sea level thing so maybe they are higher.

I live in Springerville and the elevation here is just a tad under 7000'. I do most of my wood cutting even higher up around 8500 to 9000'.

As Nate pointed out, 125 psi at 7000' is actually pretty decent.

I live at 4600' and my "strongest" saw at the moment blows 145 psi.

When I hear about these guys with 170 - 180 psi it makes me green with envy.

The altitude factor at 7000' is actually .8106, so your reading is about 19% lower than sea level...124 becomes 148 psi. Still, though, the fact that the saw was straight-gassed.....hmmm....how did the p&c look when you changed out the rings?

The altitude factor at 7000' is actually .8106, so your reading is about 19% lower than sea level...124 becomes 148 psi. Still, though, the fact that the saw was straight-gassed.....hmmm....how did the p&c look when you changed out the rings?

If my memory is right they looked ok. No chrome was missing and I don't remember any scoring. I ran that saw for at least 40 cords of wood the first year after putting a ring in it and ran it for the last 9 years as a backup to my 395. Maybe I will have to tear it down and see what I got.

If my memory is right they looked ok. No chrome was missing and I don't remember any scoring. I ran that saw for at least 40 cords of wood the first year after putting a ring in it and ran it for the last 9 years as a backup to my 395. Maybe I will have to tear it down and see what I got.

That's up to you...but you can look at the piston through the muffler (exhaust port) opening. If it's been running strongly up until now, I'd suspect something other than the top end.

I agree, take off the muffler and see how the piston looks. I had a 266 that ran fine at 110psi but the piston was showing some wear, so I replaced it. Your problem may have nothing to do with compression. An air leak test would be a good idea and also a carb inspection. Sometimes the saw will be hard to start or restart if compression is an issue. The 266 is worth fixing because it's such a great saw. I've fixed many of them for usually not much than the price of a new piston and carb kit. I really like the 266/268/272 saws.:rock:

Latest posts

Back