Is a Chimney Liner Necessary?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

My new Napoleon Fireplace insert just arrived! Gotta say I'm a little excited. That said, while I have been waiting for it to arrive, I have been reading up on it.

My question is, should or shouldn't I install a chimney liner? It is a 6" outlet on the top of the insert. Per the installation manual, it is not necessary to install a top to bottom liner in the US. I do have to run a short piece that gets just above the flu seal but that is all. A few feet at most. What I'm concerned about is whether or not having a liner will impact the operation of the insert itself. Does it need the "back pressure" of a liner to operate efficiently or doesn't it matter? The manual doesn't seem to offer any insight. Napoleon claims 85% efficiency. If having a liner vs not means a difference of 5%, I'm not going to go through with the cost/hassle but if it greatly decreases efficiency, then I will probably go for it.

Hopefully going to install it on Sunday. Just need to get a few pieces around to make the flu seal and should be ready to go!

Chris

Run an insulated liner. Efficient burns, better draft, less creosote, & easier to sweep.

Run an insulated liner. Efficient burns, better draft, less creosote, & easier to sweep.

What he said...

Besides it's a permanent installation. Do you really want to have to lug that sucker out again and start from scratch because it doesn't draft properly?

What they said. No you don't NEED to but you will be happier if you did.

Thanks for the input, guys. I already pretty much knew that I would be better off running the full liner. Just needed someone other than myself to affirm that assumption.

It depends on what you already have for a chimney. If you have a clay lined chimney then the answer is no, you do not "need" a liner. If you have an old brick or stone chimney without a clay flu then you should have a liner. My grandfather ran a wood stove for 50 years in a brick chimney with no liner and never had one issue. he did burn seasoned wood and there was no such thing as an airtight stove back then. You have to remember a stove is just a tool, it needs to be used properly.

I think you'll find it depends on your juristiction. Some places require a liner and some insurance companies require a liner. If a liner is required by your insurance company or county and you don't have one..........good luck!

As has already been said...... you'll like a quality insulated liner. Its not 'back pressure' that the liner gives...... quite the opposite. A good warm flue will work more like a vacum, with the warm air rising, drawing air through your insert/stove.

+ with above.

the massive flues are slow to warm up unless you burn full time. liner will draft better, quicker, have less condensation, and less creosote on the top cap screen because the gasses are hotter when they exit the flue. Mine even iced up on top in very cold weather, so had to insulate the two feet of stainless (single walled) that stuck out above the brick.

I bought a Napoleon 2 years ago, also 6 inch flue, trust me, you want the liner. The liner will provide the proper draft for your stove and let it burn so much more efficiently. It also eliminates down draft by sealing the chimney off.

It depends. I don't have a liner in my brick chimney and have no problems at all, but my chimney runs up through the center of the house... it's always warm and sucks like an industrial vacuum cleaner. At one time I lived where the brick chimney was on a north outside wall... getting it warmed up and drafting properly was a huge PITA at times, especially on a cold day with a north wind. On real cold, windy days, just letting the fire burn down too low would cause drafting problems (and filling your house with smoke really sucks).

With that said, there are certain safety considerations. Old brick chimneys can develop cracks, mortar can deteriorate, and whatnot. Creosote can fill those cracks and gaps, and in the event of a chimney fire will act like a channel for the fire to get to any wood surrounding it. A cold chimney also loads up with creosote at a rapid rate, which not only increases the chances of a fire, but also increases the intensity of one if it happens. A liner may greatly reduce the chances of burning your house down in the event of a chimney fire... but be advised, it can't eliminate it.

I would go with the liner. I would hate to have to pull that thing out everytime I cleaned the chimney. In addition, I agree, you will have a better install, better performance, easier cleaning, and more efficient burns. KD

Back