is an electric chainsaw sharpener worth buying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They work good on chains that are so badly damaged from hitting rocks and steel that you would just throw them away rather than sharpen them by hand. Although the edge they make leaves something to be desired.

I think they are worth their weight in gold if you spend the money and get a good one. I know nothing about the one you are looking at, however a few years ago ours was down and we needed chains sharpened right away and hand sharpening was going to take to long. We had someone else do it for us and their sharpener sucked. So my advise is go for it get one you will love it but make sure you invest some money, 4-5 hundred isn't too much.

As far as the bad edge left goes. That is due to the the tech running it. Ours has a two direction spin. If you run it one way you get a funny edge but spin it the opposite way you get a clean edge that is super sharp and will last longer. Plus an operator can take too much or too little so part of the machines ability isn't due to the machine if you know what I mean.

i think if you really wanted to go that route, keeping the tooth cool to not change it's temper is critical. Like stated above this would only be when filing a lot of damaged metal off tooth; but not in a hurry where tooth gets hot.

Intermittent slides instead of constant contact. Going around chain 2x instead of 1x. Zer0 tooth discoloration. Check Bailey's for a wax crayon lubricant perhaps.

Save some junk chains now to practice on later if ya get it;
cuz your first few times will not be your best work.

You will mess up:jawdrop: bro; it's part of it!

yeah i gotta figure out something soon. i timed myself this morning... took me 45 minutes to sharpen 24" inches. my back and legs are hurting from sitting hunched over so long. i have 13 tree removals this week and i'm not enjoying this hand filing thing.

I just use a sharp rock to sharpen my chains. All those grinding wheels are is pulverized rock that they charge lots of money for.

I've got one just like that.
It sharpens a 20"chain in about 9 minutes,
and a 32 " in less than 15.
However it is a POS !
The lever that tightens down the chain broke the second day.
Now I have to hold the chain still with my hand while sharpening.
I would recommend getting this to use until you can afford a better one.
It has saved me many hours of hand filling.

I took a chain into a local shop to have sharpened mainly to get the angle back but also to get the 1/16" 'rock hit edge' off. The tech did a poor job imo. It didnt really cut any better so I took a file to it and made it a good egde. They made it a good start but I still had to finish it by hand.

Ive considered getting a chain grinder, but havent put out the $ yet.

treeminator said:
yeah i gotta figure out something soon. i timed myself this morning... took me 45 minutes to sharpen 24" inches. my back and legs are hurting from sitting hunched over so long. i have 13 tree removals this week and i'm not enjoying this hand filing thing.
Guys this is the tree-tard, he has been trolling here asking and saying stupid sh4t such a Craftsman better than Stihl, look at this sh4t, don't feed the tools. And yes tree-tard, get something electric for your woman instead, you are a useless d---.

Clearance is right...(did I say that)? Have a look at all the threads Treeminator started in his profile. Someone is sure having a good laugh at our expense! Ya got us dude. But to salvage what we can from this thread regarding the electric chain sharpener that Harbor Freight sells. If anyone was considering buying it...DON'T!!! I was at a Harbor Freight store a couple weeks ago and had a look at this sharpener. It's a piece of junk made of cheap plastic that will likely break the first time you use it!!!!!!!!! DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY! And as for Treeminator....... :notrolls2:

okietreedude1 said:
I took a chain into a local shop to have sharpened mainly to get the angle back but also to get the 1/16" 'rock hit edge' off. The tech did a poor job imo. It didnt really cut any better so I took a file to it and made it a good egde. They made it a good start but I still had to finish it by hand.

Ive considered getting a chain grinder, but havent put out the $ yet.
what type of grinder? r u thinking of

hobby climber said:
Clearance is right...(did I say that)? Have a look at all the threads Treeminator started in his profile. Someone is sure having a good laugh at our expense! Ya got us dude. But to salvage what we can from this thread regarding the electric chain sharpener that Harbor Freight sells. If anyone was considering buying it...DON'T!!! I was at a Harbor Freight store a couple weeks ago and had a look at this sharpener. It's a piece of junk made of cheap plastic that will likely break the first time you use it!!!!!!!!! DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY! And as for Treeminator....... :notrolls2:
whoa ! thanks bros

clearance said:
Guys this is the tree-tard, he has been trolling here asking and saying stupid sh4t such a Craftsman better than Stihl, look at this sh4t, don't feed the tools. And yes tree-tard, get something electric for your woman instead, you are a useless d---.

you are being rediculous and overly paranoid. there's nothing in this thread that makes it a troll. trying to get opinions before buying an electric sharpener is a pretty legit question. i'm sure many people are interested in this subject since hand filing is such a pain in the a@%#.

I think if it takes you that long to hand file your chains, you are waiting too long to sharpen them. Keep a large number of chains around so you arent afraid to change them at first sign of dulling. Happiness is a sharp chain!

BoesTreeService said:
I think if it takes you that long to hand file your chains, you are waiting too long to sharpen them. Keep a large number of chains around so you arent afraid to change them at first sign of dulling. Happiness is a sharp chain!

perhaps.
i do tend to procrastinate when sharpening the chains. i hate it with a passion. i usually throw away all my 14" chains. too much hassle for a $13 chain.
but the 24" is worth filing.

hobby climber said:
Clearance is right? Did I just say that? OMFG.

I dont think hand filing is a pain in the ass. I been hand filing saws since I was old enough to wipe my own ass. If had chains that werent on saws then an electric grinder would be nice. But however I dont have one so I would put the dull chain on the saw and sharpen it up by hand and not in 45 minutes, maybe 6 or 7 minutes including the rakers.

BoesTreeService said:
I think if it takes you that long to hand file your chains, you are waiting too long to sharpen them.
Either that or you're sitting hunched over your saw, and if I were to guess, one hand holds the bar and chain steady while the other ONE HAND works the file.

treeminator said:
If you're not enjoying it, you're not doing it right... not that sharpening a chain is all pizza and fairy tales, but there's gratification in watching the top plate go straight and your tooth tip come to a wickedly sharp point.

One-handing a file over a wobbly chain saw, I can see, would be enough to make one consider buying an electric grinder. I had a real nice, super accurate Stihl chainsaw grinder with green grinding discs and pink and white ones of differing thicknesses, I had gauges and even a micrometer closeby. After two years and enough use to really get to know the thing, I got rid of it. I found an easier way, that I could do in the field, that didn't heat-treat the teeth and that got the teeth sharper than I could do with the electric grinder. And cheaper.

Stand upright when you sharpen. Use two hands on the file. The rest is about proper angle and the right size file.

attachment.php

treeminator said:
perhaps.
i do tend to procrastinate when sharpening the chains. i hate it with a passion. i usually throw away all my 14" chains. too much hassle for a $13 chain.
but the 24" is worth filing.

dumb dumb dumb. 100 feet of chain for my small saws costs me $220. So a 16 inch chain costs me about $8. and I still file it till the cutters are almost gone.....Chain cuts faster when the cutter is smaller as well. also, cutting with a a dull chain is a sure way to wear out a saw and quick. Of course, those cheap Crapsmans are throw away saws anyhow. Learn not to dull your chains and how to sharpen...it only takes a couple minutes to touch up a chain dulled only by normal use.

Dremels and hand held grinders suck....learn how to use a file, follow treemachine's advice...and go to Madsen's website for some good tips...and elsewhere.. search this site. There's been lots of good links put up.

I still think you're a troll...

Back