Is Baileys the best source for a Lewis Winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a used one for sale please? Or else, is Baileys the best place for new? Did search the trading post but zip search results. Thanks.

I had never heard of a Lewis winch before this thread. I watched the videos and can see how useful having one around would be. Then I think about how I have handled similar situations in the past. I keep 150ft of 3/8 wire rope and a couple of snatch blocks hanging inside my shop. If I have a log or somethng I need pulled closer to the truck, I just rig up the cable and hook to the trailer hitch of my truck and pull the log to the road. I have done this to drop leaning trees that where about to fall on my house, drag logs across a creek up into the road, Pull stuck trucks and tractors out of bogs. I can probably think of many uses that I could use the Lewis winch for, but have managed to do them without the winch for years. I am just having a hard time justifying a $800+ purchase for something that might make life easier, but so far I havent found a necessity. Of course after writing all this, I do have a opportunity to scavage some fire wood off a 20acre logging tract and after looking at the wood yesterday, I can see how the Lewis winch would be a big help getting some of the wood that is laying way down the side of the bluff. could I do the job with my truck and cable, or maybe a small farm tractor and the cable, pretty sure I could, but do i want to?? Sure would like to demo the lewis winch on this job just to see if I would like it.

there is also a capstan winch made.. I got it off of ebay,,with a xl12 powerhead.....length of cable,,is no concern at all....but this one,,is far more powerful,,than the little lewis winch!!!!!! which I also have....

I've worked on several. Given the construction I was really surprised they are "rated" for 4000lbs.
The drum and all that is well built, but the anchor point is just a 3/8" grade 5 bolt, about 4" long. Can imagine how fast that bends.

They are commonly used around here for light duty work like dragging game.

that is close to what the one I got looks like,,for 325 shipped to my door..saw turns over,,but aint had time to try it yet.......
(Sounds like you got a good score on that one!)

Obviously, the ones without a motor are less expensive, and probably best for less frequent use. If you have to dedicate an extra saw to it, you have to figure out that cost as well.

But I am curious how long it takes, from guys who have used these quite a bit, to take the bar and chain off of a saw, and mount it to the winch. Do you have to modify either part the first time? Do you use the special 'cutter-less' chain? Can someone really go back-and-forth between using the powerhead as a saw and as winch, or do you really need need a dedicated powerhead? How big of a powerhead do you need to make the winch work reasonably well?

Thanks!

Philbert

(Sounds like you got a good score on that one!)

Obviously, the ones without a motor are less expensive, and probably best for less frequent use. If you have to dedicate an extra saw to it, you have to figure out that cost as well.

But I am curious how long it takes, from guys who have used these quite a bit, to take the bar and chain off of a saw, and mount it to the winch. Do you have to modify either part the first time? Do you use the special 'cutter-less' chain? Can someone really go back-and-forth between using the powerhead as a saw and as winch, or do you really need need a dedicated powerhead? How big of a powerhead do you need to make the winch work reasonably well?

Thanks!

Philbert
both of mine,,have a cogged belt,,running off of a cog pulley on the pto shaft....and you tighten this,,just like a normal bar....mine both were bought with the power heads on them..but the small one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! low rent sold it to me,,with the saw smoked!! I went and got a later mdl,,which was a huge mistake....I had to modify the whole engine!!! It do run good now,tho!! :D:D

The couple I worked on, the winch input coupled right to the clutch. Accessing the mount nuts was kind of a pain. Unless I had no choice I'd just dedicate a saw to the winch.

They say 50-60cc area, anything bigger will break it. I can attest to that, 2 we fixed were on a 064 and 660.

Baileys want $280 just for the shipping.

Baileys (well Woodland Int since we are a "retailer", but same thing) has been decent on shipping for us. They are willing to use USPS. Several other vendors only will use 2nd day FedEx/UPS. While sometimes we do need parts quickly, generally a week or two to get things isn't a big deal.

Have you found a vid of one pulling a tree more than 50' in real time ?
Oddly enough, high pull force is not required and it will be modified for fast retrieval of very light loads (redneck haul-back line).

The rub is I had rellies in BC flying back to NZ a wee while ago but couldn't get my act together fast enough to get a winch to them before they left, and I don't know of anyone coming to NZ from USA or Canada who could bring one with them, to avoid a large chunk of the diabolical shipping cost.

there is also a capstan winch made.. I got it off of ebay,,with a xl12 powerhead.....length of cable,,is no concern at all....but this one,,is far more powerful,,than the little lewis winch!!!!!! which I also have....
Just curious did it come from MN? I saw that combo recently up here.

and a update,svk.....since you talked of the capstan winch,, i wented and lookedddd...it aint cog drive.. my sorry.. they machined a drive coupling,, that slides right over the spur on the clutch!!! and the winch sets outboard of the CS. attached with the bar nuts!! at the back side,,theres a cable yoke,,you hook to your anchor point,, then wrap the rope or cable and go. when I get it running,,and check it all out,, I will be getting a synsteel rope,,so I don't tear on the capstan................probably 150 foot............

Latest posts

Back