Is it my bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 031 i would buy a new bar but i want to get a diffrent saw so i dont want to spend money that could go on a new saw. last winter the chain needed replaced and i think it wasnt oiling good because of it being very cold . I used it some and the chain got lose and wasnt cuting good so i used my other saw. I cut dead trees that are laying on the ground and are dirty. The chain was about gone i had it sharpend and got a new one. I put the old one on and used it some. I made about 6 cuts and it would only cut in the log part way and stop cuting. I put on the new chain and it did about the same thing. I cut up some cotton wood this year and it cut good then stoped in a cut. The chain dosent seam any loser in the grove than my other saw.

Well, dull chains don't cut. Hitting dirt anyplace dulls chains. Consensus is semi chisel chain is the best for dirty wood.

Depth gauge/rakers on the chain need to be set correctly as well, approximately 20-30/1000s or so below the height of the cutters. This is a BIG variable depends on your wood, cutting style, etc. I also think a lot of shops cheap out when they sharpen chains and don't touch the depth gauges at all.

I have had some wood, every dang cut I have to resharpen, just happens sometimes. I try to avoid wood that dirty, but sometimes I have to. Sometimes I use an axe and prybar and get the bark off first and brush the wood off a little with a broom.

I have heard of some guys will drag logs home then use a pressure washer on them first to remove dirt.

Run a fingernail down the bar and off the bottom edge. Feel a catch? That ridge catches into the wood and stops your saw from going further. File it off, be careful, wear good leather gloves, the ridge is very sharp and will cut you bad.

It cuts strait, I have filed what little edge that was on the bar. It dosent fill all that dull when this happens. That is funny i made one cut in a 8" log it did it but not great but i couldnt get it to cut a 2" limb off. I cut half a load on same tree with my other saw. I have run a saw on and off for 40years and sold wood so i am not new to saws .

It cuts strait, I have filed what little edge that was on the bar. It dosent fill all that dull when this happens. That is funny i made one cut in a 8" log it did it but not great but i couldnt get it to cut a 2" limb off. I cut half a load on same tree with my other saw. I have run a saw on and off for 40years and sold wood so i am not new to saws .

Chain should fit pretty tight between the rails, with just enough clearance to not bind the chain. Any sloppiness there, the chain will fold over a little and not cut correctly. Also the chain gauge should match, 50 gauge bar with 50 gauge chain, or whatever you run.

Anyway, we are at the point we need good closeup pics of all of this for further analysis.

The rails on your bar might be getting splayed out causing the chain to lay over on one side. This prevents the cutters from digging in properly. If it wasn't oiling well this is likely because of heat buildup. Some shops will dress and reset your bar rails with a press. Second guess is your depth gauges need lowered.

I have a 031 i would buy a new bar but i want to get a diffrent saw so i dont want to spend money that could go on a new saw. last winter the chain needed replaced and i think it wasnt oiling good because of it being very cold . I used it some and the chain got lose and wasnt cuting good so i used my other saw. I cut dead trees that are laying on the ground and are dirty. The chain was about gone i had it sharpend and got a new one. I put the old one on and used it some. I made about 6 cuts and it would only cut in the log part way and stop cuting. I put on the new chain and it did about the same thing. I cut up some cotton wood this year and it cut good then stoped in a cut. The chain dosent seam any loser in the grove than my other saw.
You know Old Doug. As some point you need to hangup the chainsaw and head off to the nursing home.
Watch this you tube video and then sing it while you try cutting. for bus substitute chainsaw and for wheels/wipers/horn/lights etc insert chain. After singing it a few times if your tired just go in and take a little nap. Always works for me.

I had the old chain sharpened and i watched i know the rakers were ground down. Would a new chain need them filed down before useing it??? I am going to have the bar looked at tomorrow. I dont know if any one around here works on bars .

I've seen new chains that could have used a few thou shaved off but it shouldn't be necessary. I'm guessing your bar is shot.

I had the old chain sharpened and i watched i know the rakers were ground down. Would a new chain need them filed down before useing it??? I am going to have the bar looked at tomorrow. I dont know if any one around here works on bars .

Ya, it could just be the bar rails are so worn down the chains aren't sitting on them square anymore.

The chain..sometimes when sharpened with a grinder, the cutter is in contact with the wheel a little bit too long, it gets excessively hot, and it ruins the hardness. So even though they feel sharp at first, and are, they will dull really quickly.

Anyway, coupla links will help you to eyeball the situation

http://www.oregonproducts.com/homeowner/service/maintenance_tips.htm

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_bar_maint.htm

If dressing the bar doesn't resolve the problem, the engine may be the culprit. The saw may not be making enough power to run with the bar buried in hardwood. This happened to me two years ago. Wound up replacing the carb.

Have you verified the saw is in fact oiling? If your saying it stops in the cut it probably isn't. Start it and rev it with the tip by something to see if it's slinging oil off. Or run it and if it stops spit on the bar tip to see if it's hot ( with the saw off) I had one that quit oiling and sounds like yours. It gets so hot your spit will sizzle.

I took the bar and chain and had it looked at he said the bar wasnt all that bad and while i was there i had the chain sharpend. I think what zogger said about over heating the chain was what happened to my old chain. I will try it this week and see how it works.

Latest posts

Back