Is it possible that Stihl is coming out with ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is it possible that Stihl is coming out with 4 mix 2 valve chainsaws ?

I have heard that this is the last place they will use the 4-mix engine. Not that they won't do it but I bet we see strato charged saws before we see 4-mix.

I was at the dealers picking up a few things and the owners son told me this was possible. Apparently these will be somewhere around a pound or so more than the 2 cycle predecessors.

This is what he told me anyways. He did not mention when however. I guess he is being fed this info and tid bits by his Stihl rep.

Either that or he's smokin some of that funny weed. I like my 2 strokes just fine. they work just fine for my liking. hopefully IF they make a 4mix chainsaw, it'll be mainly used in the homeowner saws, and not the pro machines.

At Silver level school last week they wouldn't tell me that there wasn't anything in the works on that........but they wouldn't tell me that there was either.

I just came back from the Con-agg show in Las Vegas and Stihl was there. Acourding to the three reps that spoke with me all Stihl chain saws will remain your basic 2 strokes in the foreseeable futrue with refinements to porting etc in the works to keep up with the EPA boys. I told them about my dissapointments with MS210 and they also told me about a new pro quality saw smaller than the 260 is in the works. For now as most of you know they have rear handled the pro grade top handle saw as a stop gap measure.

The guy that does the design of new chainsaws is from germany, he is visiting the US for 3 years, my rep probed his mind several times. the 4mix saw isn't even in the works, he hinted with some ideas based on the ts700 but didn't say much I guess...

Do you really need a pro saw between an 026 and a climbing saw? dosent seem like much of a point. What ever they do to modern saws wont concern me until phase 1 saws and parts are all gone. Whatever it is it will be sluggish and heavy we have our phase 1 saws all figured out now. to get awesome power to weight ratios, the epa saws of the future will suck.

Justin, I think the saws will mirror what happened with cars when we got hit with emission controls. Eventually we will have superior specific power output to what is currently available. A 2.7 litre V-6 now puts out 200hp there were 350 cu in V-8's that wouldn't do that in the early 80's. Production of power and lowering of emmisions have the same basic goal, to get the most power out of a given volume of fuel.

Justin Garrison said:
Do you really need a pro saw between an 026 and a climbing saw? dosent seem like much of a point.

Well for someone who lists a a 018 as their carving saw your question puzzles me. I do not carve but the guys here that do are crying for the rear handle MS200. They are available in other countries but slow to get here. Any pro grade saw Stihl puts out below the 026/260 I would assume would be the 020/200 which would make many people very happy.

Bill

sedanman said:
Justin, I think the saws will mirror what happened with cars when we got hit with emission controls. Eventually we will have superior specific power output to what is currently available. A 2.7 litre V-6 now puts out 200hp there were 350 cu in V-8's that wouldn't do that in the early 80's. Production of power and lowering of emmisions have the same basic goal, to get the most power out of a given volume of fuel.

I concur - it might be painful for a bit, but I believe the future will rock and so will the saws...

Double-overhead camshaft 5-valve electronically controlled fuel injected 4-stroke chainsaws with catalytic converters, 02 sensors, and the multitude of other components found in "modern" engines.

I can hardly wait!

max2cam said:
Double-overhead camshaft 5-valve electronically controlled fuel injected 4-stroke chainsaws with catalytic converters, 02 sensors, and the multitude of other components found in "modern" engines.

I can hardly wait!

You must love troubble.

max2cam said:

I can hardly wait!

That means I won't be able to work on my chain saw, or my truck. :blob2:

After my experience with the torque of the FS110 brushcutter, I would really be interested in trying a 4-mix saw. My customers are asking for an enviromentally friendly saw (mostly yuppie first time acreage owners) and don't want to mix gas. That is not here yet but the 4-mix might be a start

Back