Is it safe to add a window to my furnace door?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moddoo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to add a window to my wood furnace door.
I want to be able to monitor the burn more easily.
The door is cast iron and I can easily cut an opening in it at work.
I plan on using some 3/16" neoceram for the window.

Does anyone have any safety concerns about this?

It's the cats ass for wood stoves, so it should be safe for my furnace right?

My 2 cents, unless you have a spare door, I wouldn't touch it - Cast iron is one of toughest metals to try to repair, some you can weld, most will crack. Just cutting a square out of that door might cause it to warp so it won't close right. Or, you could change the stress in the casting, and have a split in it. Just my opinion.

i believe he is right as posted above. Thats a risk unless you can get a spare door. You might check with the manufacturer if they are still around.

I appreciate the input.

The furnace is about 20 winters old, and the cast iron should be stress relieved by now.

However, I decided to keep my stock door.
I am going to make a 3/8" steel door.

My question is more about the neoceram "glass".

Is it good enough to use on a wood furnace?

I'd find an old wood stove with glass in the door and use that. Also you can have a look at how they handle the expansion and contraction of the glass. I imagine having the glass break or fall out wouldn't be good for your furnace, maybe giving you an uncontrolled burn!

Why do you need to monitor the burn? Do you have other issues that might need to be addressed in making your unit run properly?

Why do you need to monitor the burn? Do you have other issues that might need to be addressed in making your unit run properly?

No issues. it runs great.
I just like to fine tune it.
Especially when I turn it down with a lot of wood in there.
It is nice to see exactly what level of burn it's at.
If I open the door to check it out, the added air immediately changes the fire.

Different wood, different sizes, different weather, different amounts of wood.
I can try to guess how to adjust the air, but a quick peek through the window will be nice.

ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT ON THE NEOCERAM?

I am going to order it on monday.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Working on the sled in the shop right now.
About 6" of fresh snow on the ground.
Going riding in the AM.
Woodstove keeping it at 65* in here
And a new wireless router keeping me connected.
:)

Sounds like you have you mind set on this. Only advice I can give is this: Make sure they cut the neoceram at least a 16th smaller than the frame on each side. Dont ask me how I know.:angry2: Neoceram is usually ordered in and non-refundable after purchase(at least here), so do your homework.

Sounds like you have you mind set on this. Only advice I can give is this: Make sure they cut the neoceram at least a 16th smaller than the frame on each side. Dont ask me how I know.:angry2: Neoceram is usually ordered in and non-refundable after purchase(at least here), so do your homework.

Thanks man, you must know how much this stuff costs too.:cry:
I am actually going to wait until I get the neoceram to make the frame for it.
I plan on holding it in place with some of the ceramic rope that is used for stove doors between the glass and frame. With a good 1/8" on each side for expansion of the door and glass.

Latest posts

Back