Is it time for this Pine to go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b1rdman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Greeting and Salutations,

For the past few years I've been trying to decide if I should remove a potentially
hazardous tree from my yard. I've read a few similar threads recently and I decided
it's time to seek advice.

Info:

40 - 45 inch DBH pine (white pine I believe)
close to my house (40 ft.)
on the downwind side of the prevailing wind

Reasons I'd to keep it:

Aesthetics
I bought the property from my parents so I grew up climbing in this tree.
The tree is near a fairly wet area of the yard. It soaks up lots of water.
It's a great "lightening rod"

Reasons I'd like to drop it:

It near a fairly we area of the yard( yes, I listed this above too)
The home is a 225+ year old center chimney colonial built by the Shakers.
(not something I could doze over and collect the check if things get nasty)
We're on the top of a hill and my bedroom is closest to the tree.

It's a great "lightening rod". (again, I listed this in the benefits of the tree)
The "ligntening rod" issue is the big one. The tree has "paid it's dues" twice that I
know of. One of the strikes, about 15 years ago, blew off a 12" strip of bark from top
to bottom. Much of it has healed, but a 6" wide crevice remains ; starting at the
base of the tree and continuing up about 20 ft. It's getting deeper and "punkier" as
the years pass.

The other strike did little damage...but I saw it hit and ???? did it scare the sh1t out
of me.

There it it's...Thanks for your advice if you offer it.

Thanks,

Steve

Beautiful tree!!!...I might keep this one for awhile and plant a Ginkgo in another area of the property. :)

Trees can be protected from lightning by professionally installed lightning protection. Basically consists of fastening a copper cable to the highest point in the tree and running it to a ground rod driven in the ground near the base of the tree. System is used on many historic trees around the world and probably cost much less than you think. Call a professional arborist to evaluate the decay and overall health of the tree and ask about lightning protection.

Dada is right. You can dig out the rot yourself and measure it too, if you are very careful. It would be a very good idea to get the tree crowncleaned at least. The climber could look for other rotten spots from the lightning.

The bigger issue is the 'retain or remove" paradigm. there is a large middle ground of mitigation; steps you can have taken to make the tree safer.

That tree is a huge asset to most eyes; worth some investment to maintain it.

You didn't mention the lean of the tree. With wind being somewhat less of an issue at your location. You could be lulled into a false sense of security. That weakness appears to be at the fork and if one of the forks leans toward your home, that could be the real issue.
Take a sting, tie it to a good weight and look at the tree from several angles with your plumb bob. If one of the stems leans toward your home, or if one of the stems is straight, but has most of the limb weight on the house side. You need to be concerned enough to bring in a pro for an evaluation.
However, even with a tree of that size, the closer it is to the house the less of a safety issue it is to one sleeping in a bedroom. The tree simply can't pick up the speed to punch through a decently built home to the below attic areas. If it is say 60 feet from the home and the tree is 100' tall. That tree is far more dangerous. (I didn't say that extensive roof damage would not occur.)
Regarding the lightning rod issue. If this tree does need to be removed. Put a heavy duty rod in the other conifer that is in the right edge of the first photo. It can stick up above that trees top and do the job. Interestingly, you don't want to put in a major lightning rod 1/4 mile away and expect that to protect your house. Lightning works in segments, taking the path of least resistance through each segment. So if one of those segments is near your home, you need an alternative that provides less resistance nearby. Do an internet search on stepped leader lightning for some fun reading.
At this point it is customary to thank Mr. Ben Franklin for another of his many inventions.
Since you're in a northern climate, you might want to consider a decidous tree that does well in wet sites. In the summer, shade, the winter, let the sun through. That new decidous tree might be best located away from the home enough to limit gutter cleaning.

I don't think they're taking cracks at your tree, as it is quite a nice looking tree and a definite asset to your property. I would, however, take others' advice and have an arborist out to take a look at the tree. Lightning protection is not offered by every company out there, so you may need to shop around a bit, but it sounds like a worthwhile investment in your case. Lightning does strike twice as you've seen, so it seems likely it could do so again. It also appears that this tree has multiple leaders, so a cable or two may be recommended as well. Keep in mind, that cabling systems should be tied in with the lightning protection system when installed properly. (That is, steel cable systems. Cobra systems need no tie-in)

Nice tree.
Usually the wind will fell the tree when it is very strong and from uncommon direction. Tree is prepared itself for wind from common directions. So, it is more likely that tree will fell to the unexpected direction, IMO. That is surely not valid in the case of extreme storms

What I´m noticed,is the fact that this tree started the formation of additional leader from branch. Look right side branch at approx 2/3 height. I think that this is indicator of vitality of tree. As the formation of new leader from branch on so old tree points to a some injury ocurred (the lightning ?)
v.

Back