is my workflow unusual?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madsen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been teaching myself how to tree climb more or less and I was wondering whether my technique is typical?

I throw one end of my rope over a tree limb and feed the single "load end" through a butterfly knot on the other non- load side of the rope. I use this method because I rather not buy a friction saver. What do you think?

Best

I throw one end of my rope over a tree limb and feed the single "load end" through a butterfly knot on the other non- load side of the rope. I use this method because I rather not buy a friction saver. What do you think?

What technique are you using to ascend the rope?
-moss

I'm going to call it "the frog system"- two prussiks, one attached to harness, the other to a piece of webbing that I put around my foot. I have plans to try out the "footlock technique" that someone was talking about in another thread.

peace be with you

That works. What are you using for a descender?

I recommend learning basic DRT technique when you can. You can get a pipe cambium saver from New Tribe for $28 or so, well worth it to give you a more versatile beginning tree climbing technique.
-moss

Last edited:
A munter hitch on a locking biner. The only disadvantage to this is I have to remove the prussiks. I do this by standing up on the "foot prussik "which locks the munter hitch. I then have my hands free to free myself from the "harness prussik."

Ok, so now we know what your technique is :) To answer your original question: It's not typical but it works.

Take a look at Jepson's Tree Climbers Companion (Sherrill, New Tribe and other suppliers have it) to see more SRT tie-off possibilities.

You might want to tether your lower prusik to your harness as well. Gives you some backup. Most climbers follow a "two life support attachments to the harness" policy for SRT. Makes it easier to switch over to rappel since you can install your biner/munter between the upper and lower prusik then stand on the lower prusik footloops and take out the upper prusik. The munter gives you no backup if you let go of the rope during rappel. Take a look at the "autoblock" setups that people who rappel off cliffs use. I think you could loosen the lower prusik, leave it on the rope and use it as your autoblock for rappel if the cord is substantial enough or heat resistant.
-moss

you can also make your own cambium saver by going to lowes or home depot and buying some flexible electrical conduit.

thanks for all the suggestions... I'll use two points of protection on my harness from now on and I'll be looking into some electrical conduit.

Another question....about DRT......when you're using the foot lock method (both ropes around foot) does the harness prussik go around both ropes?

you can also make your own cambium saver by going to lowes or home depot and buying some flexible electrical conduit.

The stuff at home depot is not flexible enough, won't stay in the crotch. Also home depot doesn't have the correct ferrules for the ends. It's difficult to find the right materials, that's why New Tribe sells them already made 'cause it's not so easy to get it right homemede.
-moss

Latest posts

Back