Is strato charged really better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stmale

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I understand the principal behind the strato charged motor. The plug of fresh air in front of the fuel air mix.

Is this better than the standard engine design with a muffler mod, or is it just a way for saws to meet EPA regs without plugging up the muffler causing poor performance? Does it actually work to provide more power than the standard motor while at the same time remain EPA friendly? I did not think there thing could go hand in hand.

Is it worth buying a saw with this type of motor? It seams pretty simple and if it really works to provide more power in a wider RPM range why did no one think of it sooner?

Ponder that.

Primary goal is cleaner emissions. Technically, it could give better performance from a more complete burn, but probably only when tied into a more restrictive exhaust. Smell a trade-off? In the end, the EPA wins, and the saw loses...except weight and complexity which go up.

Mark

There is a pretty good thred going on now about the Strato charged motors some say there is an increase in power.

I own 2 of them a 455 rancher and a 575XP, They do have a wide power band, wider then other saws I don't know I don't own that many saws to tell you the diffrence.

From what I understand about the Strato charged motors your statment/question "is it just a way for saws to meet EPA regs without plugging up the muffler causing poor performance? " seems about right.

SO, my feeling is, A striaght stock a saw with a Strato charged motor will out perform the same size non-Strato charged motor, however if you do a muffler mod the non-Strato charged motor will most likely out perform the Strato charged motor, because the Strato charged motors tend to run at lower RPMs.

Over all, if you plan on modifying a saw avoid the Strato charged motors as they are harder to modify. If you plan to run a stock saw, you may do better with a Strato charged motor

On a conventional 2 stroke saw, what you loose is fuel economy - about 20-25%. Mod the muffler, and you loose even more.

:ices_rofl: The best kept secrets are always staring you in the face...

as four the last of the lines' . I no all about apostopie's. Now I'm starting to sound just like Manual!

Latest posts

Back