Is sycamore firewood any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sycamore makes a pretty good saw log too, as for making extra ash.

Well, ash is very good for boosting garden soil, and that's what I use mine for.

SR
Really? My experience at a mill is limited, but I found Sycamore to be twisty. Never could get Sycamore boards to dry flat. The QS lumber is nice looking with the ray flakes, though.

I'm hesitant to use my ashes in the garden. Afraid I'll get too much and change the pH in the wrong way.

Heck no!
I wouldn’t burn that if you paid me.
Very little heat, and when you’re done, you have more ash left in the stove than there was wood to begin with.

No thanks!
Yeh, but you're a hardwood snob! (lol). I'm with you; I'd prefer not to burn it either.... if I can get something better. Necessity might change my mind, though.

Really? My experience at a mill is limited, but I found Sycamore to be twisty. Never could get Sycamore boards to dry flat. The QS lumber is nice looking with the ray flakes, though.

I'm hesitant to use my ashes in the garden. Afraid I'll get too much and change the pH in the wrong way.
I've never had any drying problems with Sycamore,

Resized-20210927-121835-809-S.jpg

and I didn't even "properly" sticker/stack the last log that I milled,

Resized-20210927-125754-7811-S.jpg

As for ashes in the garden, I don't find that to be a problem either. Maybe I have a lot bigger garden spot than you, or maybe you are just more worried about it than I am.

SR

It may grow differently here in the UK but as far as my experience goes it runs a close second to Ash. It splits well, it dries quickly and can be used nearly without seasoning if desperate and the final thing in its favour is that people keep coming back to pay me for more, and that includes people who run a firewood business

Your fireplace must suck 🤪

I do believe he has a BlazeKing Princess, so it doesn't "suck"

Actually, I had a Lopi Leyden at the time I burned Sycamore, and that stove really did suck. Maybe I should give Syc another shot in the Blaze King.

Sycamore makes a pretty good saw log too, as for making extra ash.

Well, ash is very good for boosting garden soil, and that's what I use mine for.

SR

Sycamore is rather pretty. I milled some up and tried to quarter saw it. Some twisted a bit, some didn’t.

As for ashes in the garden, use it in moderation. Too much will overly raise the acidity, which may be good if you’re raising blueberries, but not so good for other stuff.

Actually, I had a Lopi Leyden at the time I burned Sycamore, and that stove really did suck. Maybe I should give Syc another shot in the Blaze King.

Sycamore is rather pretty. I milled some up and tried to quarter saw it. Some twisted a bit, some didn’t.

As for ashes in the garden, use it in moderation. Too much will overly raise the acidity, which may be good if you’re raising blueberries, but not so good for other stuff.
No, ash does not raise acidity. In fact, it does the exact opposite. All ash is alkaline.

Latest posts

Back